Canon EOS R firmware 1.4.0 now available for download

Cwall64

EOS 5D MK IV / EOS R
CR Pro
Jan 1, 2019
Iola, TX
D'oh, I was misreading what this was.

I was reading this for some reason only as the camera processing internally the different focused images.

I wasn't thinking of it as being analogous of taking bracketed exposures.....where in this case, I now understand the camera sets different focus points as you hold the button down..

I have a macro rail system I use for macro stuff, I shoot an image, turn the screw to move the camera ever so slightly...and snap a pick, lather, rinse repeat.

I'd not thought of the camera doing that focus shifting automatically. That's interesting.

But even so, what kind of control do you have over this? How many "slices" of focus can it take and how is set up on the camera?

Even so, if I did shoot the bracketed focus like I would do a set of bracketed exposures for HDR and the like, I'd not want the cameras version of compositing them together, I'd trust the post work on that still to the computer, using Photoshop, Affinity Photo, One1RAW or something even more specialized for focus stacking....which is what I thought this whole thing was about.

LOL....I gotta start paying more attention to what I read here and less on the day job....it distracts me!!
;)

C
Canon video -

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Yes and I'm also talking about the stutter during the shot.. super distracting. It can be seen at 7.10:

This is the biggest problem that keeps me from getting an EOS R right now -> see what happens in 5.54:

Can Canon do what Sony does with the new firmware? I mean black frame interpolation instead of persisting the image during the shots.
I don't know about youtubers. I use in the real world. ;) I get no blackout. I don't notice any freeze. Have you tried it yourself? I have no way of knowing how somebody in a video has the camera set up.

Upvote 0
[...]
But even so, what kind of control do you have over this? How many "slices" of focus can it take and how is set up on the camera?

Even so, if I did shoot the bracketed focus like I would do a set of bracketed exposures for HDR and the like, I'd not want the cameras version of compositing them together, I'd trust the post work on that still to the computer, using Photoshop, Affinity Photo, One1RAW or something even more specialized for focus stacking....which is what I thought this whole thing was about.

C

The camera will automatically take the shots. It does not process internally the shots taken. It saves all shots in camera and then DPP (or perhaps other stacking programs, too) can combine them into one final image. Better start wider because corners of initial shots will be cut when combining them. Needs some practice.
It would have been great if I could take the first shot (where to start) and last shot (where to end focus) and the system could manage to take the slice pictures in between automatically. This current system does no know where to end and may go and focus far behind or in front of the subject to take the number of shots assigned to it.

Upvote 0
I don't know about youtubers. I use in the real world. ;)
What does youtube have to do with it? I like taking action and panning shots, and this evf stutter is a big no no for me. It is super distracting and makes frame composition very difficult. I shoot cars in high speed. I prefer black out between shots a thousand times more compared to showing a frozen frame of the past.

That's why I'm asking if the new F/W has added any configuration regarding this.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
What does youtube have to do with it? I like taking action and panning shots, and this evf stutter is a big no no for me. It is super distracting and makes frame composition very difficult. I shoot cars in high speed. I prefer black out between shots a thousand times more compared to showing a frozen frame of the past.

That's why I'm asking if the new F/W has added any configuration regarding this.
Like I said, the way I am set up, I have no frozen frame. Youtubers do not tell you all their settings most of the time. That is what YouTube has to do with it. Go try a camera at a store. Turn off image review. Turn on continuous focus.

Upvote 0
Sounds like everyone is happy with this update so far! I have a 80d and want to upgrade to full frame should I get the R now or wait until gen 2? What would you do? ( I have already invested in some nice L glass throughout years.)

I hve both the 80D and the R. The R is a large step up from the 80D if all you shoot is stills. But I would start with making a list of the features YOU need. After you have the list look for the camera that suites those needs. I would consider waiting till the holiday season if you decide to pull the trigger because the holidays aren't that far off now and I would expect some good deals on the R this year. Hope you find a camera that makes you happy.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Just checked it, has become a bit better with 1.4.0.
Now, if you continue to hold AF-ON (or shutter btn half-pressed) after taking a shot, it won't stutter until you release the button.

(Though I usually release-press again AF during pans, so it isn't going to help me much...)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HikeBike

R6
CR Pro
Feb 6, 2019
Maryland, USA
Has anyone but me noticed that the “busy”-light blinks one time every few/some minutes when the camera is on standby with the 1.4.0 firmware? Can’t really tell how many minutes, I just notice it blinks having it next to me.
Just stared at it for a solid 5 minutes. It blinked when it went into standby, but not after that until I took it out of standby. Not sure if this would make any difference, but I have an EF lens attached, and the LCD panel is in the closed position.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Has anyone but me noticed that the “busy”-light blinks one time every few/some minutes when the camera is on standby with the 1.4.0 firmware? Can’t really tell how many minutes, I just notice it blinks having it next to me.

Do you have any connectivity going on? Is the camera linked to something?

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
The camera will automatically take the shots. It does not process internally the shots taken. It saves all shots in camera and then DPP (or perhaps other stacking programs, too) can combine them into one final image. Better start wider because corners of initial shots will be cut when combining them. Needs some practice.
It would have been great if I could take the first shot (where to start) and last shot (where to end focus) and the system could manage to take the slice pictures in between automatically. This current system does no know where to end and may go and focus far behind or in front of the subject to take the number of shots assigned to it.

Thanks to you and Cwall64 for the replies!!

Interesting. I guess if you're out and about without planning to shoot macro, and maybe didn't bring a tripod, or macro rails...this would indeed be handy.

I could definitely see having the option to set the initial and end focus would be VERY useful.

Awhile back I bought some macro rails, I think from Hejnar...

I think it is this: The Hejnar Screw Adjusting Macro Rail

I've only played with it a few times and NOW....I'm reminded I need to dig this out and go play with it a LOT more!!
:)

Oh man, I just need a little of that powerball money, so I can not have to work, and just go play with photography!!!

C

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
A lot of very positive reviews here--but are they based on what the AF point in Eye Tracking is doing, or on results carefully checked back-of-camera or on a monitor? I mean is the better apparent tracking in the EVF translating into real AF improvement regarding staying on the eye?

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Now I'm going to have to keep it next to me during dinner, etc. ;)

Ummm...Just curious, does the lens you have on it now have IS?
Also, is the lens cap on when the busy light winks at you?
Eco Mode on or off?
I think I found out, it’s just when the top display goes to standby, the camera itself goes into standby in 30 seconds. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Thanks to you and Cwall64 for the replies!!

Interesting. I guess if you're out and about without planning to shoot macro, and maybe didn't bring a tripod, or macro rails...this would indeed be handy.

I could definitely see having the option to set the initial and end focus would be VERY useful.

Awhile back I bought some macro rails, I think from Hejnar...

I think it is this: The Hejnar Screw Adjusting Macro Rail

I've only played with it a few times and NOW....I'm reminded I need to dig this out and go play with it a LOT more!!
:)

Oh man, I just need a little of that powerball money, so I can not have to work, and just go play with photography!!!

C

It's worth pointing out a couple of things. While this feature is neat and will doubtless help some people in some situations, my understanding is, a focus rail is preferable as many lenses exhibit focus breathing, i.e. the field of view changes with the focus, which can impact image stacks taken by refocusing rather than physically shifting the camera/lens as on a rail. Not that it won't work, but the results may be inferior. Also naturally it only works with AF lenses, so for example the legendary MP-E will forever be excluded. Tethered automated macro focus stacking has been around for years - Helicon has software that does this, for example. The same caveats apply.

Upvote 0