Canon EOS R firmware 1.4.0 now available for download

Yes and I'm also talking about the stutter during the shot.. super distracting. It can be seen at 7.10:

This is the biggest problem that keeps me from getting an EOS R right now -> see what happens in 5.54:

Can Canon do what Sony does with the new firmware? I mean black frame interpolation instead of persisting the image during the shots.

The photographer sounds a bit ignorant of the full scope of the matter.

He's bringing up something that won't even matter. Even if there was zero pause, one would still be aiming and composing nearly identical.

And hard to imagine why he prefers instead a look of blackouts that looks like a sequence of power failures. Either way, it's very trivial.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012

He's bringing up something that won't even matter. Even if there was zero pause, one would still be aiming and composing nearly identical.

And hard to imagine why he prefers instead a look of blackouts that looks like a sequence of power failures. Either way, it's very trivial.

I find it a bit irritating but livable. The easiest real solution is a higher framerate, on the M6 II it didnt bother me.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

Zero pause would require 60 fps for the eye to not see it. That's a video rate. Honestly, I see no difference between what we have and a mirror moving up and down. There's also the mechanical shutter to consider. I don't understand why some are expecting to not see the shot being taken.

Upvote 0
OMG. I just updated. It works as well as the preview videos. Tracks eye closest to the camera and way further out than before
Yes it works great. The eye detection really works great now. As it should have worked at the beginning. Not a complaint I'm glad Canon is giving us these updates.

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
So now you know what we are talking when we got angry with Canon because of lack of response with the mirrorless and evoluting. Don´t want to be a "hater" but....I use this since December 2017! And we are now in late September 2019...This is what guys like me, that love Canon were complaining about...Canon took too long to response, but i am happy that finally they are responding! Hope they can catch up so i can sell my Sony and back 100% in Canon line!

It is unbelievable how in the dumbass Canon fan boy's world eye auto focus has become so important and an awesome feature overnight. The moment one is critical about Canon, Canon fan boys immediately tags them as Sony fan boy and that is true for Nikon fan boys as well.

I, like you love to shoot with Canon and really want Canon to lead the pack in terms of technology, photo and video features, image and video quality, etc but Canon has been in a long hibernation. Canon lenses alone are a great reason to stick with Canon. Lately I am disappointed with Sony that they still do not offer a fully articulating touch screen and the touch feature does not work in menus, a better ergonomic body (I know a7r4 but I still feel that is not good enough). I truly cannot understand why Sony cannot address those.

So how did that go for Canon fan boys
Initially all mirroless cameras are toys and not considered as cameras until Canon released a toy ;)
Then the lack of dual card slot is a big deal until Canon did the same thing. Don't get me wrong I definitely like to see dual card slots in a $2k+ camera
Eye auto focus was a gimmick until Canon got on-boarded on to the same gimmick. Now all of a sudden that is a great feature.
Fan boy's world (not just canon but applies for everything) is always mysterious and there is no room for common sense there.

Canon catching up with other manufactures I still really doubt it. IMO no matter what Canon will always find unbelievable ways to cripple their products like the 24fps saga, single card slot, UHS 1 slot, etc yet fan boys will defend every foolish decision by Canon as if they have vested interest in Canon. As a wildlife photog I see myself shooting with both Sony and Canon (and that's what corporates wants so they can extract more $ from customers) for the foreseeable future. If Canon ever comes up with a 200-600mm lens and they catch up with Sony in terms of technology and features I will definitely get rid of Sony but I have no hope on Canon at this point.

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
That's the tip of the ice berg .. I think it's got AT or anus tracking now for nude phot

You don't know why?

Because in almost the entire product world, manufacturers don't put everything in everything. Mustang doesn't have a tailgate. Not every Chevy had a V8. Not every keyboard is contoured.

You don't know way?

Because about 299 photographers out of 300 wouldn't care. I do lots more than many of my photographer friends, and I wouldn't use it whatever camera its in. Actually, only about 1 in 80 photograhers I meet do any video, and hardly care bout video features in these new bodies.
Exactly I don't need it so nobody else should

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
It is unbelievable how in the dumbass Canon fan boy's world eye auto focus has become so important and an awesome feature overnight. The moment one is critical about Canon, Canon fan boys immediately tags them as Sony fan boy and that is true for Nikon fan boys as well.

I, like you love to shoot with Canon and really want Canon to lead the pack in terms of technology, photo and video features, image and video quality, etc but Canon has been in a long hibernation. Canon lenses alone are a great reason to stick with Canon. Lately I am disappointed with Sony that they still do not offer a fully articulating touch screen and the touch feature does not work in menus, a better ergonomic body (I know a7r4 but I still feel that is not good enough). I truly cannot understand why Sony cannot address those.

Initially all mirroless cameras are toys and not considered as cameras until Canon released a toy ;)
Then the lack of dual card slot is a big deal until Canon did the same thing. Don't get me wrong I definitely like to see dual card slots in a $2k+ camera
Eye auto focus was a gimmick until Canon got on-boarded on to the same gimmick. Now all of a sudden that is a great feature.
Fan boy's world (not just canon but applies for everything) is always mysterious and there is no room for common sense there.

Canon catching up with other manufactures I still really doubt it. IMO no matter what Canon will always find unbelievable ways to cripple their products like the 24fps saga, single card slot, UHS 1 slot, etc yet fan boys will defend every foolish decision by Canon as if they have vested interest in Canon. As a wildlife photog I see myself shooting with both Sony and Canon (and that's what corporates wants so they can extract more $ from customers) for the foreseeable future. If Canon ever comes up with a 200-600mm lens and they catch up with Sony in terms of technology and features I will definitely get rid of Sony but I have no hope on Canon at this point.

Seems to me that Sony just needs a flip screen and Menu touch you will be happy with Sony, keep up the pressure and from what I have read they are sure to respond. Once they do you can dump all your Canon gear and you will be happy.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

Labeling all fanboys the same is a mistake. The problem was never mirrorless Sony stomping Canon or eating Canon's lunch, like we've heard so many times before. That never happened. The problem was never mirrorless. The problem was Sony fanboys signing up just to tell us how they love Sony. The problem is the annoyingly bad attitude, and you have it. That this all has you so spun up speaks volumes about you.

So now that Canon has done, I guess, what you have been screaming for, have you purchased?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Thanhha

EOS R
Jul 24, 2019
I discovered the touch and drag improvement last night after playing with eye-detect for awhile. At first I was really confused, because there was no mention of this improvement in the release notes, but there was a remarkable difference in the smoothness and speed. I questioned if I inadvertently changed some magical setting to achieve this result...but nope! Bonus feature in the firmware update! IMHO, Canon knocked this update out of the park. :)
The touch&drag responsive update is a big improvement to me, I feel like no other method could let me choose the desired AF area faster and more accurate than this, the lack of a joystick doesn't bother me now!:)

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
It's worth pointing out a couple of things. While this feature is neat and will doubtless help some people in some situations, my understanding is, a focus rail is preferable as many lenses exhibit focus breathing, i.e. the field of view changes with the focus, which can impact image stacks taken by refocusing rather than physically shifting the camera/lens as on a rail. Not that it won't work, but the results may be inferior. Also naturally it only works with AF lenses, so for example the legendary MP-E will forever be excluded. Tethered automated macro focus stacking has been around for years - Helicon has software that does this, for example. The same caveats apply.
If i could just program one of buttons to be enable and disable focus stacking i would be totally happy with RP focus stack . speed is essential many situations and it takes time push right buttons on menu :) ef 70-300 and RF 24-105 are without focus breathing . and maybe unknown future macro lens too.
I dont like idea of complexity what using macro rail adds. not fun on field

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have to disagree, if I have a lens like the RF 50mm 1.2, there will be occasions that I would want to shoot it at 1.2/1.4/1.8 and not 7 (that is why I paid for it), previously, to nail the eye, you had to take headshots as with a medium distance it would only do face tracking and it was super slow.

Checking the results on camera or with the evf will not tell you if it is perfectly in focus, for that you have to shoot tethered and depending on the location you may not have that option I have taken thousands of shots with the EOS R and I can tell you that on super bright apertures, the face tracking sucks and I had to rely 99% on single point af.

Face tracking tries to put the center of the focal plane on the closes element of the face, which is typically the end of the nose. If it were my nose, you'd be in trouble. I found lots of pictures where the eyebrows were in focus, but the eyes not so much. Was shooting the 50 f/1.2, so this was more of a problem than for most.

I moved over to Sony for the interim, until Canon opts to come out with a pro mirrorless camera, and had a moment just like this one: when Sony came out with firmware 5.0 for the A9. It was a wow moment. So glad to see Canon crossed that mile marker as well.

Long story short: eye detect does matter, but only if it works at distances from where you typically shoot. I'd put that at 5-20 feet in my case. Now, 50mm at 20 feet isn't going to see much difference between eye detect and face detect (you have about a foot of depth front and back from the target at f/1.2), but if you're doing telephoto, as often am, it'll be make or break. My birding rig has 0.07 inch wiggle room at that distance, and my 200mm would have 1.01 inches.

Upvote 0
Yes! Much smoother. Fantastic now. It was a little frustrating sometimes before this update.
Very glad to hear the improved that performance. One of my greatest disappointments (beaten only by the fps issue while doing continuous focus) with the R was that its monitor touch screen focus point selection seemed somehow much balkier than the M5 I used to have. LOVED that feature on the M5, but turned it off on the R. I thought it might be a processor performance issue, but very glad to hear it's fixed, which suggests it wasn't the hardware after all.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Very glad to hear the improved that performance. One of my greatest disappointments (beaten only by the fps issue while doing continuous focus) with the R was that its monitor touch screen focus point selection seemed somehow much balkier than the M5 I used to have. LOVED that feature on the M5, but turned it off on the R. I thought it might be a processor performance issue, but very glad to hear it's fixed, which suggests it wasn't the hardware after all.
Smooth as silk. Really, really great. FPS could be better, but since I just photograph people that don't move much it isn't a problem. I understand though.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Face tracking tries to put the center of the focal plane on the closes element of the face, which is typically the end of the nose. If it were my nose, you'd be in trouble. I found lots of pictures where the eyebrows were in focus, but the eyes not so much. Was shooting the 50 f/1.2, so this was more of a problem than for most.

I moved over to Sony for the interim, until Canon opts to come out with a pro mirrorless camera, and had a moment just like this one: when Sony came out with firmware 5.0 for the A9. It was a wow moment. So glad to see Canon crossed that mile marker as well.

Long story short: eye detect does matter, but only if it works at distances from where you typically shoot. I'd put that at 5-20 feet in my case. Now, 50mm at 20 feet isn't going to see much difference between eye detect and face detect (you have about a foot of depth front and back from the target at f/1.2), but if you're doing telephoto, as often am, it'll be make or break. My birding rig has 0.07 inch wiggle room at that distance, and my 200mm would have 1.01 inches.
It's spot focus on the eye of the bird with a DSLR, which is one reason I am sticking with one for the time being (and passed over the 80D because it doesn't have it). Firmware 6.0 supposedly does animal eye detect for the A9. If so, that could be transformational for relatively close up birds?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If i could just program one of buttons to be enable and disable focus stacking i would be totally happy with RP focus stack . speed is essential many situations and it takes time push right buttons on menu :) ef 70-300 and RF 24-105 are without focus breathing . and maybe unknown future macro lens too.
I dont like idea of complexity what using macro rail adds. not fun on field

That's fine, most people don't want the hassle and it's an interesting new feature. With regard to those lenses, I didn't know they didn't focus breathe, thanks for the info, although they aren't typically used for macro photography (technically can't be used for such, really) - but focus stacking can be used for non-macro work of course. I'm glad you're finding it useful! Perhaps someone could start a thread showing shots taken using the feature, I'd be very interested to see the results it produces.

Edit: naturally, focus rails aren't typically intended for use in the field - where subject movement would likely render such precision focus stacks improbable anyway. I assumed we were talking about controlled studio work. If the RP's in-body stacking can be used on live/mobile subjects, that would be great, and I'd be especially like to see the shots.

Last edited:
Upvote 0