Canon EOS R Mark II in testing [CR2]

I did a dance competiton with the 5d3 the other day and my God, the photos werent great, granted crap orange lighting above, but a lot of them were blurry
@ 1/160 with canon 70-200 2.8. I din't want to go too high a speed as I'd need hss and wear out the flash.
Push to the sync speed of 1/200s and push your ISO (and appropriate aperture to get both dancers in focus). If the 5Diii's low light shadow banding is a problem then consider upgrading to a second hand 5Div which is much better and fractionally more fps. The changeover cost isn't huge at the moment.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
SD is significantly slower, almost 10x slower and CFExpress is getting faster time moves on. It’s like a HDD vs a SSD. Then there is just the desire to be able to share my cards between different cameras.
A quick peek at my local camera store gives me:
Various SDHC cards at 95MBps
SD UHS II at 300MBps
Cfast at 550MBps
CF at 160MBps

so yes, SD is slow, but it is also passé. If you want to move cards around, then UHS II is the way to go. I can put the cards into most of my cameras, my laptop, a portable hard drive, my laptop, my tablet, my television, and even into my desktop computer!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
And the colour balance..... and picture style......

the EVF (or live view) display is close. You can use it to get close to what you want, but you have to remember that there are a dozen settings that will effect the jpg,

Right - which is why the EVF should give you just what your eye would see without it (or through an OVF).

and you should have a good idea as to what you can do in post processing for that final image.

part of the magic is capturing the image, and part is in the darkroom, or Lightroom in the digital age.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I don't care that much about dual card slots, but if available, I won't complain for sure!

I don't know where you live, but I'm from Montreal, Canada, and in winter we can get very cold weather. So I repeat, in winter time, a joystick would be much appreciated to change the focus point, as it's faster than the directional button.
Actually, there is another way to change the focus point. Hold down the "AF Point/Index/Magnify/Reduce" button and the AF point can be moved vertically and horizontally using the "Quick Control" and "Main" dials.

• Wow
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Okay, I didn't try those.

I've tried:

• A55
  • RP
  • R
  • Z7
  • EM10
  • EM5 ii
  • A7ii
  • A7iii
  • A6300 (by far the worst)
As I said, the EM5ii was easily the best of that bunch, but they're all still really awful. Look at the viewfinder and look and the scene and they literally look nothing alike. Blacks are crushed, whites are blown, the brightness doesn't match, (EVF way too bright in the dark and way too dark in the sun) they're soft (or low-resolution), there are artifacts and blurring when moving, panning or zooming, colors don't come close to matching, etc.
I own an EM5II and find the EVF sucks compared to the R. I shoot in bright daylight to near black and find the exposure simulation of the R to be superb. On my copy the colors are faithful. Perhaps the one you tried in the store wasn't set up properly?

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
In difficult lighting conditions, the EVF display is nowhere near what the scene looks like. This is an example of that issue that I made a long time ago. The top, EVF view, is the out-of-camera JPEG. Note that this scene is NOT UNDEREXPOSED. There were still blown pixels in the raw data. It's just a high DR scene.

EVF%20OVF%20View%20comparison.jpg
Opryland Hotel? Rather, that's what it was called 30 years ago.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I was the same but a cheapish second hand 5Div came up and I snapped it up... With the sale of my 5Diii, the changeover cost wasn't huge. Incremental change but in so many areas that I really notice it. The MP bump from 22 to 30mp is definitely noticeable as well as the shadow banding issue at high ISO. I just shot a karate grading and the indoor lighting was poor. ISO3200 was the minimum and I and the students were happy with the results
Thanks. That is a common style of shooting for me with my son in TKD. The cost issue is a bigger factor since I won't be selling the Mk 3 so I'm sensitive to sales and street pricing with Gordon.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
The EOS R is a fail for those who have big noses (not me by the way). Search for Michael the Maven's youtube video. The next R will almost certainly have a joystick for those that want to use it.
Without searching for or watching the video, I don't understand. I am 6'2" and have a huge nose that sticks out very close to 2" from my face. No problem. What is the problem with the R and big noses? I know for a fact that it doesn't change the focus point or any other setting. It doesn't trigger the shutter in touch mode either. Does. Not. Happen.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Without searching for or watching the video, I don't understand. I am 6'2" and have a huge nose that sticks out very close to 2" from my face. No problem. What is the problem with the R and big noses? I know for a fact that it doesn't change the focus point or any other setting. It doesn't trigger the shutter in touch mode either. Does. Not. Happen.

There is no problem. Only nose problems I read about with the R are with left-eye dominant shooters.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018

I have a normal-size nose and am left-eye-dominant and find that using touch controls while looking through the EVF is a nightmare. Being LED is a much worse problem than the nose issue, I'll admit.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I have a normal-size nose and am left-eye-dominant and find that using touch controls while looking through the EVF is a nightmare. Being LED is a much worse problem than the nose issue, I'll admit.
I can see that. I am also left eye dominant, but for some reason I still use my right eye. However, when I am shooting hand guns I use my left eye. Have to.

Upvote 0
Great news. I think Canon is finally waking from it's 10 year self-induced coma could be a big surprise in 2020. M6 II is very encouraging, and 1DXIII is looking like a much bigger update than the disappointing 1DXII. EOS Rs specs sound great if true and a greatly improved EOS R is sorely needed. Hopefully at least 36MP, and greatly improved AF speed for tracking and eye AF. If the sensor is designed for mirrorless with good read speed a lot of improvements will be forthcoming. Hopefully it gets 5.7MP EVF and >2MP LCD, dual cards, good sealing and can compete with D850 for action. So 10fps would be awesome. If they get this right there will be no need for 5DV, this should be the camera to get DSLR fence sitters to change.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
With these features mentioned, it will be double the price, so 3600$ versus 1800$.
But with the 1DXIII being so close, I still think they will start with the higher-end model first, and follow up the 5D Mark V with this one in a year from now, it just seems more logical.
In any case, these rumos are just all over the place and not very reliable until the announcement is close enough.

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2014
Stockholm syndrome ;)

Really. The current EVFs suck no matter that brand. Maybe they could look better if one could assign different exposure compensation and different picture style to the EVF preview and to the final picture.
I have several Canon cameras, including the 1DX2, and I love the EVF of my EOS R. But the EVF doesn't work well over camera store counters.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0