Canon EOS R Mark II in testing [CR2]

bbb34

5D mk V
Jul 24, 2012
Amsterdam
Okay, although I'd be willing to bet that kind of real time computational processing of a full frame image wouldn't be something that manufacturers could just do, though I could be completely off base.

I guess our expectations for things are all different.

I would expect that a dedicated DSP (like DIGIC) has the performance to do that with sufficient frame rate for the view finder resolution. Reducing global contrast and increasing local contrast is a simple operation in frequency space. Just my guess - I have no proof or sources.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Wow. I mean, it was so much better it wasn't even close. It was the only one of the bunch that wasn't distractingly blurry when panning. It still had the brightness and DR problems of all the rest but at least it wasn't showing all those nasty video artifacts.

It was at the defaults.
If you get the chance and get back to the store, set the display performance to "smooth" rather than the default. Also turn on continuous AF. Maybe that will help.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
No doubt it is plausible, all things considered, but for them to release all those bodies in short order they'd likely have been planning to do this for some time. Sony was only announced to have taken the full frame lead in the last week, though I think there were rumors of back and forth from ~ a year ago. I guess we'll know soon enough!

It was indeed only announced last week that Sony had overtaken Canon in the full frame market, but Canon through its own market research, must have known this -or that it would likely occur- for much longer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
The top image is straight out of the camera.

The bottom image is now producible by a Pixel 4 on the LCD, prior to the image being taken. It can be done, but camera manufacturers don't do it.

Because most people would prefer as little processing as possible on the image, unless it’s a special mode such as hdr. Especially if shooting raw.

Most people seem to consider the fact that the evf reflects captured image to be a feature.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Yeah, I agree 100%. Since I only shoot JPGs for backup, this has not concerned me. Indeed, with OVF, you can spot meter and find out what you're blowing out while still being able to see it.

---

"I say cameras don't work like that"

Yeah, but they don't, though. The camera doesn't operate like your eyes do even if it has an OVF because the OVF doesn't have anything to do with the camera's exposure - it's just how YOU can see the scene in order to aim the camera and take a photo using the camera's sensor.

For shooters who have learned to use the camera's (or an external) meter effectively with an OVF, the sort of "WYSIWYG" property of EVFs is not the greatest thing since sliced bread the way it is for those who have never bothered to learn how to look at a scene with their own eyes and learned how the camera and its meter (in whatever particular metering mode they are using) will see the same scene. Many of us have been nailing exposure just fine, thank you, for decades before the advent of EVFs.

Upvote 0
Jun 24, 2019
The disappointing R left many of us to go apsc mirrorless and its allowed me to wait and watch, add a speedbooster and its been quite an eyeopener, pixel peepers and reviewers may scorn but the M50 has done more than my 1ds 3 ever did for sales a 6d taking up the slack, yes i will be buying 2 R2 bodies because i do not see them being a stop gap and possibly my last ever purchase of bodies, a few RF lenses may follow, in all an easy transition both financial and technical thanks to the 2 m50 bodies.

Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
The disappointing R left many of us to go apsc mirrorless and its allowed me to wait and watch, add a speedbooster and its been quite an eyeopener, pixel peepers and reviewers may scorn but the M50 has done more than my 1ds 3 ever did for sales a 6d taking up the slack, yes i will be buying 2 R2 bodies because i do not see them being a stop gap and possibly my last ever purchase of bodies, a few RF lenses may follow, in all an easy transition both financial and technical thanks to the 2 m50 bodies.

What disappointments with the R would lead you go to APS-C mirrorless, instead of say, sticking with the 5D MKIV?

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
For shooters who have learned to use the camera's (or an external) meter effectively with an OVF, the sort of "WYSIWYG" property of EVFs is not the greatest thing since sliced bread the way it is for those who have never bothered to learn how to look at a scene with their own eyes and learned how the camera and its meter (in whatever particular metering mode they are using) will see the same scene. Many of us have been nailing exposure just fine, thank you, for decades before the advent of EVFs.

No one said you haven’t been ;) Before you get more defensive, I didn’t even claim EVFs were better, though it must be said that EVFs are also not the exclusive purview of amateurs who don’t understand metering.

Upvote 0
Jun 24, 2019
What disappointments with the R would lead you go to APS-C mirrorless, instead of say, sticking with the 5D MKIV?
mirrorless is so easy, snapping instead of checking settings, any error showing in the viewfinder and the criticised m lenses are fine, size matters when you carry 2 or 3 bodies and no bag, i never carry a bag and people do not even see a camera unless there is one around my neck, yes a mk iv is great but your second camera am m with m lens is such an obvious solution for single body shooters, i have not used my 16 to 35 since i had the 11 to 22, and a 500 or 600 prime with apsc is a revelation to any photographer stick with the 5d but the second body m50 really opens your eyes but not with a kit lens and ditch the bag for a double shoulder strap under the jacket for the pure freedom and the weather protection as its not weather sealed

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jun 24, 2019
No one said you haven’t been ;) Before you get more defensive, I didn’t even claim EVFs were better, though it must be said that EVFs are also not the exclusive purview of amateurs who don’t understand metering.
its like people who shoot film who believe the more obstacles they put up the better their picture is if they overcome them, taking pictures and making pictures produce a product that should be judged by its quality not whether the producer was handicapped or from an underprivileged background if you allow the brevity

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

gbc

Oct 19, 2018
Besides the obvious IBIS and two card slots, it could gain better weather sealing and a joystick, as well as a different ergonomic.
Having used both this and my 5DIV side by side for over a year now, I have to say, I find the touch screen much faster than the joystick. There are times when I do just want to nudge the AF point over one spot where the joystick is quicker and more precise, but mostly--and especially since the firmware update--the touch screen AF point movement has left me not missing the joystick at all.

Upvote 0

gbc

Oct 19, 2018
Most people seem to consider the fact that the evf reflects captured image to be a feature.
Not only that, but after using the R and 5DIV together at shoots, I've found I have become quite dependent on the EVF image preview feature. It's gotten to the point of a crutch, really, because I find I'm blowing a lot more shots the 5D exposure settings lately. I love the EVF and I'm never going back.

Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
...the EOS R Mark 1 ...
Canon does not have a camera model called the EOS R Mark 1. Product naming conventions across a wide range of industries dictate that nothing is named Mark I (or Marque I). The convention also dictates that Roman numerals follow Mark or Marque. FYI.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
Because most people would prefer as little processing as possible on the image,

Then shoot raw.

unless it’s a special mode such as hdr. Especially if shooting raw.

No one ever said it should alter the raw data, but the EVF doesn't show you the raw data.

The EVF should reflect the actual scene, and the raw data should reflect the captured image. The JPEG is just an interpretation of the raw data.

Upvote 0