Canon EOS R Mark II in testing [CR2]

Photo Hack

Hi there
Apr 8, 2019
I would like the EVF image to look the way the scene looks to my eye, because that's how I'm going to process the raw data in almost all cases.
Ok great, move along now. I'm not sure why you're still here, you tried out some EVFs in their default settings in a store and didn't like them and complaining on the internet about it. It's the equivalent of someone going into a DLSR thread to complain that the OVF doesn't simulate exposure.

For anyone else..... here's the useful information, if you're skeptical about EVF's make sure you're using the right settings that are a priority to you. That's the great thing about technology, you have more choices. If it's not good enough, don't buy it, it's not for you. You can replicate OVF, use exposure simulation, or a combination of them. Then there's myriad of other options not possible with an OVF.

If you don't like an EVF stay with your DSLR, they'll be around longer than you'll probably be alive and be fully capable of capturing great pictures.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
Ok great, move along now. I'm not sure why you're still here, you tried out some EVFs in their default settings in a store and didn't like them and complaining on the internet about it. It's the equivalent of someone going into a DLSR thread to complain that the OVF doesn't simulate exposure.

For anyone else..... here's the useful information, if you're skeptical about EVF's make sure you're using the right settings that are a priority to you. That's the great thing about technology, you have more choices. If it's not good enough, don't buy it, it's not for you. You can replicate OVF, use exposure simulation, or a combination of them. Then there's myriad of other options not possible with an OVF.

If you don't like an EVF stay with your DSLR, they'll be around longer than you'll probably be alive and be fully capable of capturing great pictures.

If I live as long as my grandfather, I'll be around for another 47 years. Think my 7DII will last that long, be supported and upgraded during that period?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I had it in manual focus. The problem was the EVF, not the AF.
You miss the point entirely. Smooth has to do with the evf screen performance. Smooth is not the default. You said everything was in default. Panning in mf? Ok

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
I'm the one being defensive? Please go back and reread your entire conversation regarding EVFs that seemed at the beginning to be predicated on the idea that an EVF that can provide "WYSIWYG" exposure simulation is surely preferable to an OVF for everyone. Yes, you did back off that a little when some of the advantages of OVFs for certain use cases were pointed out.

I'm aware of everything I've said. Assuming you've also read my conversation, you probably noticed that another forumer seemed to have some puzzling misunderstandings about what EVFs can/should be able to do; the only reason I began this woebegone tangent was to correct that. I have never, anywhere in this thread claimed EVFs are superior to OVFs.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Because the EVF doesn't show how the scene looks, it's a power-sucker, and it's laggy.

An EVF. Shows. What. The. Camera. Will. Capture.

You're in this thread continually arguing that an EVF should behave like an OVF. Why? Do you also get mad that you can't squeeze apples to get orange juice?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
An EVF. Shows. What. The. Camera. Will. Capture.

You're in this thread continually arguing that an EVF should behave like an OVF. Why? Do you also get mad that you can't squeeze apples to get orange juice?
In the auto sales industry there is a word for people who test drive every single car and never buy complain and never buy.

Upvote 0

Photo Hack

Hi there
Apr 8, 2019
Lee Jay,

There’s also the option of setting EVF to not simulate exposure and using your human eyes to look at the scene before taking the picture. When I shoot weddings I usually don’t have the camera VF strapped to both of my eyes all day.

LCD screen has seemed to be sufficient for digital filmmaking for a few years and my guess is that people will acclimate to EVF for stills as well. If camera makers are serious about capturing the A9, 1D, D5 market their EVF tech will come along and shooters will adapt.

Can we move on now? The horse has been buried.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
Lee Jay,

There’s also the option of setting EVF to not simulate exposure

Exposure isn't the only problem. DR is the biggest problem. You get maybe 8 stops through an EVF while the sensor captures 3-6 stops more than that. And you can't see that through the EVF because brights that are blown in the EVF will still be usable in the image, and darks that are crushed will still be recoverable in the image.

and using your human eyes to look at the scene before taking the picture.

Which doesn't show framing.

Upvote 0

Photo Hack

Hi there
Apr 8, 2019
Exposure isn't the only problem. DR is the biggest problem. You get maybe 8 stops through an EVF while the sensor captures 3-6 stops more than that. And you can't see that through the EVF because brights that are blown in the EVF will still be usable in the image, and darks that are crushed will still be recoverable in the image.

Which doesn't show framing.
Sooooo what? Stick your arms and fingers out in front of you and frame the shot.

You can even have a histogram flash in front of you in an EVF so that solves your biggest problem which is going to be far more reliable than your eyes in an OVF.

You're moving your goal posts anyways. You're complaining that an EVF doesn't capture real life view and it's simulated. But now you want an EVF to capture full DR of the sensor? Can your naked eye in OVF know exactly what will be recoverable and usable before you expose your shot? That's kind of the point of Exposure simulation, to get you closer to the end result of an exposed image and what you want. You shouldn't rely on this 100% anymore than you should rely on the LCD screen. Use the histogram.

Get your engineering degree and go make yourself a camera that fits all your demands. What do you want? An optical viewfinder in a mirrorless body? The technology of tomorrow now?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
Sooooo what? Stick your arms and fingers out in front of you and frame the shot.

I shoot mostly fast-moving subjects.

You can even have a histogram flash in front of you in an EVF

Which is super-distracting so I always shut all that nonsense off.

[ so that solves your biggest problem

No, it doesn't, because it's not a raw histogram.

which is going to be far more reliable than your eyes in an OVF.

I doubt that.

You're moving your goal posts anyways. You're complaining that an EVF doesn't capture real life view and it's simulated. But now you want an EVF to capture full DR of the sensor?

Yes, that would be called "real life". If the sensor gives 12 stops, why would I want 4 of them cut off by the EVF?

Can your naked eye in OVF know exactly what will be recoverable and usable before you expose your shot?

Yes. It's called "experience".

That's kind of the point of Exposure simulation, to get you closer to the end result of an exposed image and what you want.

It doesn't work - at all.

You shouldn't rely on this 100% anymore than you should rely on the LCD screen. Use the histogram.

I don't use the LCD, and the histogram is of the out-of-camera JPEG, which means it's not just worthless, but it's misleading.

Get your engineering degree

Already have two.

and go make yourself a camera that fits all your demands.

Already have one.

What do you want?

A newer version, and full development. My camera came out in 2015, there's no sign of a future improved version, yet a camera that came out in 2019 is being replaced already. This mirrorless stuff is replacing the development on cameras I can actually use.

Last edited:
Upvote 0