Canon EOS R Mark II in testing [CR2]

Photo Hack

Hi there
Apr 8, 2019
I shoot mostly fast-moving subjects.

Which is super-distracting so I always shut all that nonsense off.

No, it doesn't, because it's not a raw histogram.

I doubt that.

Yes, that would be called "real life". If the sensor gives 12 stops, why would I want 4 of them cut off by the EVF?

Yes. It's called "experience".

It doesn't work - at all.

I don't use the LCD, and the histogram is of the out-of-camera JPEG, which means it's not just worthless, but it's misleading.

Already have two.

Already have one.

A newer version, and full development. My camera came out in 2015, there's no sign of a future improved version, yet a camera that came out in 2019 is being replace already. This mirrorless stuff is replacing the development on cameras I can actually use.
So you’re just a salty complainer who’s too sexy for his camera. What could you possibly get from a mark III 7D that can improve your perfected skills?

Never mind, please don’t answer any more questions. We’re all begging you. Please!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Photo Hack

Hi there
Apr 8, 2019
I want the development energy that was spent on it.
I want the same energy put towards digging wells in Africa.....Ain't gonna happen and I'm not going to put 200 posts worth of energy in this thread to convince everyone else of my opinion either.

Maybe you could harness your own energy here into petitioning Canon to throw a ton of money developing products for an ever shrinking and outdated market. Heck maybe they can start making film cameras again while they're at it. You seem persistent enough and could probably get that done.

GO get em!

Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
I would like the EVF image to look the way the scene looks to my eye, because that's how I'm going to process the raw data in almost all cases.
Look, I get you; it seemed weird to me as well when I got the camera and I didn't like it but I kind of got used to it. Now, for me the biggest problem is the EVF is unable to keep up with the fast action. I would even be willing to trade EVF resolution for tracking speed. For example, if there was a way to decrease the EVF resolution while in servo mode with tracking priority to get shorter blackout I would be a happy camper.
I believe this is the trick Sony is using on all of their mirrorless cameras with the exception of the A9.

For me personally, a huge benefit of the EVF is that I don't need my reading glasses to review the photos because I can use the built-in diopter adjustment. Of course, if you're a young guy you don't care about it...for now...but wait and see, that time will come for you as well:)
EVF is not exactly the devil when compared to the OVF; it's just different, with pluses and minuses.
Just relax and enjoy the wonderful new technologies we're so lucky to have nowadays...
Cheers:)

Nelu

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
Maybe you could harness your own energy here into petitioning Canon to throw a ton of money developing products for an ever shrinking and outdated market.

What's frustrating is this "outdated" system is being replaced by an inferior system. I don't remember that happening before in the history of technology.

Removing a feature doesn't make a superior product.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
Look, I get you; it seemed weird to me as well when I got the camera and I didn't like it but I kind of got used to it. Now, for me the biggest problem is the EVF is unable to keep up with the fast action.

That's such a severe problem that I had to switch to an SLR to get the job done after trying to do a particular job with an EVF camera.

I would even be willing to trade EVF resolution for tracking speed. For example, if there was a way to decrease the EVF resolution while in servo mode with tracking priority to get shorter blackout I would be a happy camper.
I believe this is the trick Sony is using on all of their mirrorless cameras with the exception of the A9.

I haven't tried an A9, but the A7ii and A7iii I tried were horribly laggy.

For me personally, a huge benefit of the EVF is that I don't need my reading glasses to review the photos because I can use the built-in diopter adjustment.

I rarely review.

Of course, if you're a young guy you don't care about it...for now...but wait and see, that time will come for you as well:)

I wear bifocal corrective lenses.

EVF is not exactly the devil when compared to the OVF; it's just different, with pluses and minuses.
Just relax and enjoy the wonderful new technologies we're so lucky to have nowadays...

Unfortunately, I find shooting with an EVF to be so frustrating, I'd rather not shoot at all.

Upvote 0
Me: A next gen body on horizon probably means no more firmware updates to the R.

Fanboys: Liar! Canon will update firmware for years!

Me: Security updates, new lens compatibility updates, wifi/app updates, meaninglessness other stability updates for cameras used under unique conditions. No new features.

Fanboys: The EOS R hardware can't handle new features.

Panasonic: Here you go, GH5/GH5s owners, major autofocus updates three years later. Probably more coming. No big deal.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
This is likely bad news for R owners, as Canon is unlikely to keep updating R firmware with a next gen body on the horizon.
Possibly. But, it depends. My theory (only a theory, but everything on this site is wild speculation anyway) is that Canon may keep the R "Classic" in the lineup while releasing an RII. There is nothing wrong with the R (Despite what all the whiners who have never used one think), and they need to keep making the body anyway because of the astro version they just released. So I could see them cutting the price by $100 to $200, undercut the competitors and offer the RII as an upgrade for those who are afraid to step outside the house without having two card slots. An RP at $900 and R at $1,500 and an RII at $2,400 would make for a very attractive range of prices.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
(Despite what all the whiners who have never used one think)

Look, just because it works for you doesn't mean it works for everyone. I routinely shoot things moving erratically at hundreds of miles per hour at 960mm equivalent, tightly framed (10% or less clearance on the edges). Do you do that?

Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
That's such a severe problem that I had to switch to an SLR to get the job done after trying to do a particular job with an EVF camera.

I haven't tried an A9, but the A7ii and A7iii I tried were horribly laggy.

I rarely review.

I wear bifocal corrective lenses.

Unfortunately, I find shooting with an EVF to be so frustrating, I'd rather not shoot at all.
Obviously, a mirrorless camera is not for you at this moment, due to your profund dislike for the EVF. I assure you that your dislike is only matched by my aversion towards the need of doing AF microadjustments in the field, due to the crazy temperature bounces we have here in Calgary that cause the AF to go berserk with super-tele lenses.
When the DOF is 6cm at 10m with a 600mm and the 1.4TC the differences are huge so I prefer using an EVF than having to micro-adjust the AF.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
An EVF. Shows. What. The. Camera. Will. Capture.

You're in this thread continually arguing that an EVF should behave like an OVF. Why? Do you also get mad that you can't squeeze apples to get orange juice?

An EVF shows *part* of what the camera will capture. No EVF is capable of displaying the full 14-bit monochromatic luminance values collected by each photosite on a digital imaging sensor.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
A newer version, and full development. My camera came out in 2015, there's no sign of a future improved version, yet a camera that came out in 2019 is being replaced already. This mirrorless stuff is replacing the development on cameras I can actually use.

August 2018, actually.

Upvote 0
Possibly. But, it depends. My theory (only a theory, but everything on this site is wild speculation anyway) is that Canon may keep the R "Classic" in the lineup while releasing an RII. There is nothing wrong with the R (Despite what all the whiners who have never used one think), and they need to keep making the body anyway because of the astro version they just released. So I could see them cutting the price by $100 to $200, undercut the competitors and offer the RII as an upgrade for those who are afraid to step outside the house without having two card slots. An RP at $900 and R at $1,500 and an RII at $2,400 would make for a very attractive range of prices.

This would be a dream scenario. Drop another $200-300 for refurbs/sales. I would buy! Those who want IBIS, new BSI sensor, 120fps in 1080p, 4k without crop, 20fps with autofocus, will gladly pay for the privilege. The rest can buy into a still very capable system for less, keep getting AI autofocus updates (animals, etc., keeping those bodies competitive), and drive lens sales. Because it makes so much sense, I'm doubtful Canon will do it.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
So you’re just a salty complainer who’s too sexy for his camera. What could you possibly get from a mark III 7D that can improve your perfected skills?

Never mind, please don’t answer any more questions. We’re all begging you. Please!

I'd be tickled pink if I could by a 7D Mark III body that had the new 90D/M6 Mark II sensor, improvements in the AF system commensurate with the improvements between the 1D X/5D Mark III AF system (to which the 7D Mark II AF system was very similar) and the 1D X Mark II/5D Mark IV AF system. Leave everything else (body construction/durability, shutter life, etc.) exactly the same as the 7D Mark II.

Upvote 0