Canon EOS R Mark II in testing [CR2]

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
An EVF shows *part* of what the camera will capture. No EVF is capable of displaying the full 14-bit monochromatic luminance values collected by each photosite on a digital imaging sensor.

For the love of Pete, yes, of course it does not display the *totality* of the data - it merely displays an extremely useful and workable part of it. I was speaking in shorthand, and I clarified this point pages ago, too.

While we’re at it, an EVF also can’t display all 32 million pixels of the image simultaneously, either. Not that that ever matters, anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Me: A next gen body on horizon probably means no more firmware updates to the R.

Fanboys: Liar! Canon will update firmware for years!

Me: Security updates, new lens compatibility updates, wifi/app updates, meaninglessness other stability updates for cameras used under unique conditions. No new features.

Fanboys: The EOS R hardware can't handle new features.

Panasonic: Here you go, GH5/GH5s owners, major autofocus updates three years later. Probably more coming. No big deal.
I love how you equate historically factual events and responsible customer service with fanboi-ism. That is awesome of you. Plus, thanks for the break from the love fest those two EVF knuckleheads had us grinding our teeth over. Cheers!

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I love how you equate historically factual events and responsible customer service with fanboi-ism. That is awesome of you. Plus, thanks for the break from the love fest those two EVF knuckleheads had us grinding our teeth over. Cheers!

and the we had the updates to a 4 year old 7D which included new features, obviously more proof that Canon never offers updates....

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I just bought an EOS R a few days ago. I really like it, but now I'm wondering if I should return it while I can and wait for the Mark II. This is actually my first Canon. What do you guys think?

That depends on if you want to take any photos between now and mid 2020?

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
...or if he has $2,700 in the pocket instead of $1,700!
We know for sure the EOS-R's price but we can only speculate about the Mark II. I suspect it will be closer to $3000 than $2000, to leave some breathing room for EOS-R.

Upvote 0
and the we had the updates to a 4 year old 7D which included new features, obviously more proof that Canon never offers updates....

Were those new features? Or did Canon cripple the camera at launch and then release a feature from its cripple vault to remain competitive?

This fanboyism is nuts. Next you'll thank Canon for unlocking the GPS module in the 6D, or releasing 24p for the 90D. This is not a company with a track record of updating products in meaningful ways through firmware, period. Cripple-hammering features and then releasing them from the cripple vault is not innovation, and it's not generosity. The EOS R's AF update may be the only time they've even come close.

Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
I would like the EVF image to look the way the scene looks to my eye, because that's how I'm going to process the raw data in almost all cases.

I’m not being facetious here, genuinely interested in your use case: why can’t you just use your naked eye to see exactly that, and then benefit from the viewfinder showing what the sensor, at the limits of current tech, is going to capture? Isn’t that more useful?

As others have pointed out, everything is interpretation, and to some, it’s art - what the camera captures is irrelevant when they’re going to tweak it.

If you want just jpeg that shoots as close to what the eye sees, with no post processing, why do you want to use a high end camera?

Is it for high res, high quality, high speed workflow such as sports? Or for particular landscape style?

Once again, asking from genuine curiosity, because right now I don’t understand why it matters, and why it’s a disadvantage.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
I shoot mostly fast-moving subjects.

Which is super-distracting so I always shut all that nonsense off.

No, it doesn't, because it's not a raw histogram.

I doubt that.

Yes, that would be called "real life". If the sensor gives 12 stops, why would I want 4 of them cut off by the EVF?

Yes. It's called "experience".

It doesn't work - at all.

I don't use the LCD, and the histogram is of the out-of-camera JPEG, which means it's not just worthless, but it's misleading.

Already have two.

Already have one.

A newer version, and full development. My camera came out in 2015, there's no sign of a future improved version, yet a camera that came out in 2019 is being replaced already. This mirrorless stuff is replacing the development on cameras I can actually use.

Ok. So you want an evf that behaves exactly like an ovf. So.... why are you complaining so much when you can buy great dslrs with ovfs that do exactly what you want?

It’s like going to a seafood restaurant and complaining that the oysters don’t taste like chicken

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
...or if he has $2,700 in the pocket instead of $1,700!
We know for sure the EOS-R's price but we can only speculate about the Mark II. I suspect it will be closer to $3000 than $2000, to leave some breathing room for EOS-R.

Great points, thanks guys.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
It doesn't work - at all.
It's fine if an EVF does not work for you. Making posts on what an EVF should do in your opinion, without aknowledging that what it does works perfectly fine for a lot of people and what you want it to do is technically challenging, and maybe impossible, makes you seem like fairly annoying.

If I see some areas of my EVF image are blown out, I can still reason about how likely I'll be able to recover them even if the full DR isn't shown.

I don’t think you gain anything from being frustrated and posting your frustrations here. There is a 5D V and 1DX III coming, maybe more DSLR, for people like you. By the time you are forced to use an EVF, just hope that it will have improved to the point we're you can give it another shot with an open mind.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
You're complaining that an EVF doesn't capture real life view and it's simulated. But now you want an EVF to capture full DR of the sensor? Can your naked eye in OVF know exactly what will be recoverable and usable before you expose your shot?
Are you saying that yours cannot?

That's probably the difference. A trained eye and a reliable exposure meter make many perceived benefits of the current EVFs questionable.

Get your engineering degree and go make yourself a camera that fits all your demands.
Have you tried that? A modern camera is hundreds if not thousands of man-years in development alone.

What do you want? An optical viewfinder in a mirrorless body? The technology of tomorrow now?
More attention from the camera manufacturers to people who actually know how to shoot. But I guess the market is just not there.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Are you saying that yours cannot?

That's probably the difference. A trained eye and a reliable exposure meter make many perceived benefits of the current EVFs questionable.
Using an EVF doesn't rob you of the ability to view exposure guides such as a histogram though, I'm not sure if there is an exposure meter in the R or RP viewfinder?

I think the point is that looking at a scene, with no electronic guidance, and knowing exactly what exposure settings you need, is maybe something you or Lee Jay may be able to do. But if you don't have this skill and need some electronic assistance (or at least benefit from it, even if you don't strictly need it), if this help should come in the form of a Histogramm, exposure indicator or live view image (displayed on the back screen or EVF) is a matter of personal preference.

And in the case of an EVF, there's no technical reason to give up on the other.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
That's really soon after the first edition, like in the EOS-M line.

I think that as they siad earlier, they do listen to the customers, and probably got all the needed information to develop the next generation. Short timely responce is very important since they do need to close some gaps in respect to the competitors in this market.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
An EVF. Shows. What. The. Camera. Will. Capture.

You're in this thread continually arguing that an EVF should behave like an OVF. Why? Do you also get mad that you can't squeeze apples to get orange juice?
Evf shows what camera has already processed with all the attached limitations of Modern digital imaging technology. Limitations of EVF are qualitative.
You do not to get to see the reality via EVF you see only a digital projection of the subject transformed, distilled, digitalised and low/high pass filtered. Bang. :)

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Ok. So you want an evf that behaves exactly like an ovf. So.... why are you complaining so much when you can buy great dslrs with ovfs that do exactly what you want?

It’s like going to a seafood restaurant and complaining that the oysters don’t taste like chicken
Correct. But remind me how do I adopt all this unique RF glass to my EF DSLR body? I am really keen on 28-70/2.0 zoom lens on EF. There are quite a few other unique RF lenses out there.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
I think that as they siad earlier, they do listen to the customers, and probably got all the needed information to develop the next generation. Short timely responce is very important since they do need to close some gaps in respect to the competitors in this market.

Also this was the first FF swing at mirrorless for Canon.
For a first try it is infinitely superior to Sony's first attempt.
Also Canon has provided great and useable pro lenses right out of the gate, not so loser f0.95 manual lens, and to top it all off you can use all your EF lenses with enhanced features. Not dumbed down like all the others.

Upvote 0
Look, just because it works for you doesn't mean it works for everyone. I routinely shoot things moving erratically at hundreds of miles per hour at 960mm equivalent, tightly framed (10% or less clearance on the edges). Do you do that?

Erratically at hundreds of mph? UFOs?

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0