Canon EOS R Mark II in testing [CR2]

Photo Hack

Hi there
Apr 8, 2019
There are no action-oriented mirrorless cameras that work, because EVFs are too slow.

“Verdict. The Sony A9 II is the fastest, most ferocious full-frame sports camera we've ever used. Its blistering speed and autofocus performance are matched only by its phenomenal connectivity, which promises to be a game changer for pro shooters.”

I have no experience with this camera but it seems to be good enough or “better” for a lot of sports and action shooters vs DSLR. The EVF actually has the advantage of no blackout vs a DSLR. I only see performance getting better and cheaper within the next few years.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
In the auto sales industry there is a word for people who test drive every single car and never buy complain and never buy.

I'm not in the auto sales industry, but I'd love to know that people like that have dealt with every asshole car salesman I've had to deal with; then I'd call them "my avenger." (Some are good, most are assholes.)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
“Verdict. The Sony A9 II is the fastest, most ferocious full-frame sports camera we've ever used. Its blistering speed and autofocus performance are matched only by its phenomenal connectivity, which promises to be a game changer for pro shooters.”

I have no experience with this camera but it seems to be good enough or “better” for a lot of sports shooters vs DSLR. The EVF actually has the advantage of no blackout vs a DSLR. I only see performance getting better and cheaper within the next few years.

Well, there's never been an A9 to test in my city. The A7iii's viewfinder is awful, and people I've talked to say the A9 is similar or slightly worse.

Upvote 0

Photo Hack

Hi there
Apr 8, 2019
Well, there's never been an A9 to test in my city. The A7iii's viewfinder is awful, and people I've talked to say the A9 is similar or slightly worse.
0101CF1A-026D-49FA-ADCE-BEE87904FC67.png
I guess all I can do is recommend this book to you. Good luck in your quest for the perfect camera during the mirrorless revolution.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
So either the market was really small, or most of those users were happy with an evf. Or both Nikon and canon are making a mistake, and will introduce a replacement eventually.
I'd like for it to be #3, but I'm not optimistic. On the other hand, I expect that in about three years the 90DII will have caught up with the 7D II, but with a better sensor.

Upvote 0
Radio controlled jets.
That's a very unusual niche genre, might really be better to stick to DSLR because of the EVF's lag.
But I disagree on benefits of seeing the actual scene through OVF, an EVF view with exposure compensation is more useful in most of the imaginable scenarios, including radio controlled jets.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
That's a very unusual niche genre, might really be better to stick to DSLR because of the EVF's lag.
But I disagree on benefits of seeing the actual scene through OVF, an EVF view with exposure compensation is more useful in most of the imaginable scenarios, including radio controlled jets.

With high-speed subjects, the lighting is changing millisecond to millisecond. You don't have time to adjust so you have to trust the meter. One problem I had with the A7ii I tried was that it responded super-slowly to changes in lighting. For example, if I was inside and pointed the camera through a window, it would take about a second to go from indoor exposure to outdoor exposure, meaning the EVF was pure white for about a second when I did that. Same with going back - the EVF would be pure black for about a second.

Upvote 0
With high-speed subjects, the lighting is changing millisecond to millisecond. You don't have time to adjust so you have to trust the meter. One problem I had with the A7ii I tried was that it responded super-slowly to changes in lighting. For example, if I was inside and pointed the camera through a window, it would take about a second to go from indoor exposure to outdoor exposure, meaning the EVF was pure white for about a second when I did that. Same with going back - the EVF would be pure black for about a second.

I find the camera's metering very imprecise/easily fooled. I like to look at the LCD image preview because it gives me enough information - combined with my experience - to determine if a shot is useable or not.

PS what are radio-controlled jets??

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I'd still like a hybrid viewfinder. I use a Hoodman Custom Finder kit on mine now (for video) but being able to get away with that system built-in would be even better.

Good for you. I don't do video with my 7D Mark II, and wouldn't with a 7D Mark III. That's what video cameras, or even my FF bodies, are for.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
That’s a common and reasonable request. Some online YouTube reviewers mock canon for continuing to produce the 90D, and announcing the 5D4/1dx 3. And yet a lot of users still want a DSLR. Seems that canon decided that it wasn’t worth making a 7D3. So while you and a few others really want one, maybe they just didn’t sell enough. The market just wasn’t there, even though the market for a 90D and 5D is.

Doesn’t Nikon make a great mid range sport/wildlife camera? Is it possible for you to switch brands and send a clear message that these are still in demand? (I understand brand switching can be expensive and unfeasible)

Perhaps the reason Canon isn't making a 7D Mark III is because they sold *too many* 7D Mark II bodies that Canon thinks ate into 1D X/1D X Mark II sales.

Nikon has officially announced there will be no replacement for the D500, Nikon's 7D type of camera. So while the D500 is a little more recent and an overall better camera for the intended use case of the D500/7D Mark II, that path is also a dead-end in the long term.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016

People that were using the α9 I've stood next to on the sideline at sporting events had pretty good results in print and online by the next morning...

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I'd like for it to be #3, but I'm not optimistic. On the other hand, I expect that in about three years the 90DII will have caught up with the 7D II, but with a better sensor.

I doubt Canon will ever give another x0D a magnesium alloy body (the 50D was the last) , a concurrent 1D/5D AF system (no x0D has had one), and a more durable shutter like the 7D series had. Both my 7D and 7D Mark II took all kinds of abuse that a 60D or 70D could not have survived. The 90D has a shutter only rated for 120,000 actuations. I was past that with my 7D Mark II in 2 1/2 years.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
That’s quite a different ask though, isn’t it. I can understand why you’d want that. Canon says it’s because they’re using an evf instead of an ovf that they can even design these new lenses.

I honestly don’t know if that’s actually true or not, since I’m not a lens designer.
Uhm. They say it is because of a shorter RF flange distance and wide Mount throat that they can afford to design lenses with a larger rear elements and zooms like 28-70/2.0.
Such a lens is impossible on EF.
In reference to what you said: yes ovf is no doubt a better tool for a skilled photographers. But RF glass makes me wanting to trade in OVF for EVF + RF Mount. Price aside, I see how this may afford me a cleaner shots in low light run and gun scenarios and candid portraits in ever awfully lit receptions and venues.
And with an extending 70-200 stubby lens. At last I will afford storing both cameras with 24-70 and 70-200 lens attached in my mid sized camera backpack without necessity to store 24-70 disconnected from camera body.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
Uhm. They say it is because of a shorter RF flange distance and wide Mount throat that they can afford to design lenses with a larger rear elements and zooms like 28-70/2.0.
Such a lens is impossible on EF.

I may have skipped a few steps in my logic, my apologies. You’re right that’s it’s the RF Mount vs EF; but an RF mount requires the EVF, as the short flange distance is only possible because they dumped the mirror. That’s why I said the RF lenses are only possible because they dropped the O for E.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I may have skipped a few steps in my logic, my apologies. You’re right that’s it’s the RF Mount vs EF; but an RF mount requires the EVF, as the short flange distance is only possible because they dumped the mirror. That’s why I said the RF lenses are only possible because they dropped the O for E.

I took your original statement a different way. The 24-240 has such pronounced barrel distortion that it would likely be obvious in an OVF. So they couldn't make that lens for an OVF camera (even if flange distance weren't an issue). They had to issue a firmware update for the R and RP before they released that lens, so that the camera could correct it...and people looking through the EVF would, as a matter of course, see the adjusted image. Thus, the EVF itself made that lens possible.

Upvote 0