Canon EOS R Mark II in testing [CR2]

Including all the firmware updates in the mark 1 , what can the mark2 give us that was missing in the first one?
Focus stacking which they put in the RP but not the R. Hopefully the new sensors will handle depth of field issues. Now that Canon has said no new EF glass, they can create some non "L" glass and 3rd parties will start making RF lenses.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Focus stacking which they put in the RP but not the R. Hopefully the new sensors will handle depth of field issues. Now that Canon has said no new EF glass, they can create some non "L" glass and 3rd parties will start making RF lenses.
Depth of field issues?
When has Canon said, " No more EF glass"?

Upvote 0
Depth of field issues?
When has Canon said, " No more EF glass"?
He may be referring to this article.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Probably. Unfortunately, this is one of the silly things about news today, the internet and forums. Another website took the quote from the Canon executive, blew it way out of proportion and added a deceptive headline. People are sharing that story without even reading what the Canon executive said, which is clearly NOT what the headline claims.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Says nothing about "depth of field issues" (whatever that is) or abandoning EF. In fact it says, "we plan to continue this, launching more RF lenses while still fully supporting the EF lens system. "

Upvote 0
Probably. Unfortunately, this is one of the silly things about news today, the internet and forums. Another website took the quote from the Canon executive, blew it way out of proportion and added a deceptive headline. People are sharing that story without even reading what the Canon executive said, which is clearly NOT what the headline claims.
At the time I replied to CFB, I hadn't seen the other website you mentioned. You are right that they frequently blow things out of proportion. As soon as I saw what you wrote, I knew who it was.
Thanks for pointing it out.
I'm not adding a link because they don't deserve the clicks.

Upvote 0

telemaque

Before Sunset
CR Pro
Nov 30, 2019
Agree completely with you. I talked with a Canon executive in November 2019 at French Photo fair and he confirmed they will focus on RF lenses because they need to have sufficient lenses to offer for R bodies. However, he made it clear EF lenses line is continuying as their professional sport photographers are going to continue to buy EF Bodies like the 1DX series. He told me, but honestly I do not understand why, that an mirror body is the only serious option to have the highest burst rate...(?). I would have thought a mirrorless body would offer better burst rate, but apparently I am wrong.

Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
If Canon were smart they would offer an EOS R trade in program for the mk2 get a good discount and promote sales from those that only brought a new camera 12 months ago and gives them plenty of materials to recycle back in to production lines to save manufacturing costs as most of the parts will be the same.

I hope that is tongue in cheek. Making new cameras with used trade-in parts would be a marketing disaster and greatly increase production costs in essentially any plausible scenario.

The R models perform just as well as promised, so no need for a profit-killing trade-in.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Looking to move from my Nikon D750 to Canon mirrorless. Any more news on EOS R Mark II?

Whether there will be an R II is pretty much unknown at the present time. The R5 is obviously not the R II as it is much higher end and more expensive. We will have to see where the rumored R6 falls into the pricing structure as well. There may still be room for the R II, but my guess is that no one, maybe not even Canon, knows exactly how many R bodies there will be.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I wouldn't be surprised if the R mark II is identical to one of the two models--i.e., the R6 (maybe) is simply an upgrade AND renaming of the R. Or maybe the R5 is.

R and RP don't fit into any sort of Canon-style naming convention with a number in it, so I'm imagining someone in charge of branding is regretting those names.

Upvote 0
The RP will.IMO be in the plans because is their mirrorless that is under 1k. I believe the R will stay in the lineup because it is a very good camera for vloggers. The R5 and R6 will be the mirrorless replacement for 5 series. The R6 for the six series. I keep hearing about a high pixel camera but IMO the next one in 2021 will probably be a R1 the mirrorless replacement for the 1 Dx mark iii. I don't think it would be in 2021 but now that the Olympics has been delayed until 2021, they will bring this to market before the Olympics

Upvote 0
Yeah. I think giving the higher mega pixel camera the R1 title, and making it a studio flag ship camera will be the goal if they are aiming for professions at 75-150 mega pixels. That only makes sense instead of creating some sort of R5 and charging only $500 more. I also expect the R1 sports style camera will be Above 30 mega pixels and they will still find a way to have it shoot 20-25 FPS w/ electronic shutter. But, this is all speculation at this point. I’m looking forward to seeing what they do. The last thing I would love to see is the flagship camera (the R1) being a full body camera with a full grip for vertical and horizontal shooting. I saw Sony introduced the grip with theirs and that’s how you unlock the rest of the power that Camera has to offer. While I think that camera is brilliant... I thought that move was kind of cheap! I hope cannon doesn’t follow suit with that same approach.
I have the grip for the EOS R and while it makes vertical shooting easier, the two batteries are used together so it isn't like other grips where one battery is used and when discharged it switches to the next one. The grip still gets more shots than a single battery but the grip is almost as heavy as the camera.

Upvote 0