Canon EOS R Tethering in Lightroom

5D35D46D2R

There's Canon. And there are other Cameras.
Feb 12, 2019
Good day all.
Has anyone been able to tether Canon EOS R with Adobe Lightroom successfully?

I have the latest firmware installed on Canon EOS R.
And i am running Lightroom Classic version 8.3.1 on a MacBook Pro 2015.

According to Adobe, in their latest release, Canon EOS R is one of those included in the May 2019 Updated release of Lightroom Classic (version 8.3).
I participated in a discussion going on in the Adobe Community about this problem, and one of the Support Staff pointed me in the direction of this article: Fix tethered shooting in Lightroom

However, I have done the following:

1. Make sure that you're using the most recent version of Lightroom. = CHECKED, OK
  2. Make sure that your camera is supported. = CHECKED, OK
  3. Turn the camera off and on. = DONE, OK
  4. Turn off the camera and the computer. = DONE, OK
  5. Put an empty memory card in the camera, especially if you're using a Nikon camera. = Not applicable to my Canon Camera
  6. Try a different USB cable and USB port. = Didn’t need to do this, as my cable is ok.
  7. Check your hard disk. = CHECKED, OK
  8. Reset Lightroom preferences. = This is where I had to apply the recommended change
  • Navigate to one of the following locations, depending on your operating system: macOS: /Users/[user name]/Library/Preferences/
  • Delete following file, depending on your version of Lightroom that you're using: Mac: com.adobe.LightroomClassicCC7.plist
  1. Make sure that your camera's firmware is up to date. = DONE, OK
  2. Close applications that could be causing a conflict. = DONE, OK

1. Make sure that your camera manufacturer's capture or editing software isn't open. It could be trying to control your camera. After closing, retry tethered shooting in Lightroom. = DONE, OK
  2. Check that the transfer mode in the camera is set appropriately. = DONE, OK
  3. Check your camera's documentation for more information. = DONE, OK

After completing step 8. above, I tether my Canon EOS R to my MacBook Pro, and it worked ok initially.
However, after a couple of shots, it stopped working again, and my camera froze, displaying an Err 70 code. I followed the instruction on the camera to reset.

There may be something that is not quite right in the file com.adobe.LightroomClassicCC7.plist (this is the file that Adobe recommends that a user deletes).

Every time it doesn't work, i go to Finder, and delete this plist file.
After that, i restart my computer, and launch Lightroom. It works, but after two shots, it stops working again.

I will appreciate if anyone who has successfully tethered their Canon EOS R with Lightroom, and it works for them, if they can be kind enough to share their settings / how they got it to work.

Thanks.

Any updates?
Good day all.
Has anyone been able to tether Canon EOS R with Adobe Lightroom successfully?

I have the latest firmware installed on Canon EOS R.
And i am running Lightroom Classic version 8.3.1 on a MacBook Pro 2015.

According to Adobe, in their latest release, Canon EOS R is one of those included in the May 2019 Updated release of Lightroom Classic (version 8.3).
I participated in a discussion going on in the Adobe Community about this problem, and one of the Support Staff pointed me in the direction of this article: Fix tethered shooting in Lightroom

However, I have done the following:

1. Make sure that you're using the most recent version of Lightroom. = CHECKED, OK
  2. Make sure that your camera is supported. = CHECKED, OK
  3. Turn the camera off and on. = DONE, OK
  4. Turn off the camera and the computer. = DONE, OK
  5. Put an empty memory card in the camera, especially if you're using a Nikon camera. = Not applicable to my Canon Camera
  6. Try a different USB cable and USB port. = Didn’t need to do this, as my cable is ok.
  7. Check your hard disk. = CHECKED, OK
  8. Reset Lightroom preferences. = This is where I had to apply the recommended change
  • Navigate to one of the following locations, depending on your operating system: macOS: /Users/[user name]/Library/Preferences/
  • Delete following file, depending on your version of Lightroom that you're using: Mac: com.adobe.LightroomClassicCC7.plist
  1. Make sure that your camera's firmware is up to date. = DONE, OK
  2. Close applications that could be causing a conflict. = DONE, OK

1. Make sure that your camera manufacturer's capture or editing software isn't open. It could be trying to control your camera. After closing, retry tethered shooting in Lightroom. = DONE, OK
  2. Check that the transfer mode in the camera is set appropriately. = DONE, OK
  3. Check your camera's documentation for more information. = DONE, OK

After completing step 8. above, I tether my Canon EOS R to my MacBook Pro, and it worked ok initially.
However, after a couple of shots, it stopped working again, and my camera froze, displaying an Err 70 code. I followed the instruction on the camera to reset.

There may be something that is not quite right in the file com.adobe.LightroomClassicCC7.plist (this is the file that Adobe recommends that a user deletes).

Every time it doesn't work, i go to Finder, and delete this plist file.
After that, i restart my computer, and launch Lightroom. It works, but after two shots, it stops working again.

I will appreciate if anyone who has successfully tethered their Canon EOS R with Lightroom, and it works for them, if they can be kind enough to share their settings / how they got it to work.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Any updates?
Did you just delete a new thread??? I wrote a reply that had nowhere to go!

Sounded like a Windows 11 problem in the "phantom" thread.

Try running sfc /scannow, and if that fails, DISM, which you can read about on legit Windows forums online.

Also, Windows 11 occasionally has mysterious corruption issues within a folder, so you could try starting fresh with a new folder that is not within the existing, problematic folder.

Good luck!

Upvote 0
Did you just delete a new thread??? I wrote a reply that had nowhere to go!

Sounded like a Windows 11 problem in the "phantom" thread.

Try running sfc /scannow, and if that fails, DISM, which you can read about on legit Windows forums online.

Also, Windows 11 occasionally has mysterious corruption issues within a folder, so you could try starting fresh with a new folder that is not within the existing, problematic folder.

Good luck!
I haven't delete anything.
Thank you for your advice. will try

Upvote 0