Canon EOS R vs 5D Mark IV - Pros & Cons

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
A bit early, but let's get it started! How does the Canon EOS R compare to the 5D Mark IV?

I admit, this is for completely self-serving reasons, but I'm sure the feedback can be useful to others stuck between choosing one or the other. ;)

EOS 5D4 Pro/Cons vs R
+CIPA-rated at 900 shots per charge (OVF doesn't burn battery like an EVF)
+Native mounting of EF lenses (no need to buy an adapter)
+Faster burst (with proper AF working)
+Larger buffer
+dual card slots
+built-in GPS
+Proper control wheel and buttons around the thumb grip
+same LP-E6(N) batteries as 5D II, III, 6D, 7D, R series cameras (among others)
-heavier
-static LCD
- cannot mount new RF lenses
-no native C-Log on early models

EOS R Pro/Cons vs 5D4
+lighter
+newer technology (native RF mount, Eye-AF)
+cheaper
+vari-angle flipscreen
+same LP-E6(N) batteries as 5D II, III, IV, 6D, 7D series cameras (among others)
+improved low-light capabiliy (ISO 100-40000 with expansion up to 102400)
+faster SD slot (UHS-II)
+USB 3.1 plus ability to charge battery in-camera (LP-E6N only)
+faster autofocus
+autofocus at f11
-CIPA-rated at 350 shots per charge (EVF) / 370 shots (LCD), Power saving mode 430 and 450 shots respectively, Eco mode 540 and 560 shots

I'll be happy to update this first post as necessary with feedback provided from the comments.

**Thanks to @ahsanford for helping me get the list started.

Last edited:

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
You should remove the same LP-E6(N) batteries from the EOS R vs 5D4.
Both cameras use the same battery so the use of the specific battery is not an advantage against 5D4.

I put it as an advantage for the R since it means you can use all the same batteries you probably already own if you have a 5, 6, or 7 series camera, but true. Thanks for the input.

Upvote 0
If I can get a 5DIV body for $2350 on eBay from a reputable gray market dealer which is just $51 more than the R at launch pricing, I’m going for the 5DIV! I understand they are very different tools for different purposes but the 5DIV gives you a lot more for the same $$.
Actually, I’m sticking with my 6DII and 80D combo for now!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I may be wrong, but you will need a PD charger to charge via USB.
A normal battery box may work, but it will be VERY slow.
You can buy PD battery boxes and these will also work on your laptop even a Macbook.
As PD chargers can charge up to 20 volts, they are much faster than normal USB chargers.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
EOS R video pros:
Costs less
From factor, lighter (more gimbal-friendly)
4:2:0 8-bit smaller file size options
Good EVF
Focus peaking
Swivel LCD
ND filter adapters (very expensive, but probably works flawlessly, so it's huge)
More advanced AF and a bit better ISO with Digic 8
EF-S lens compatibility
UHS-II SD
C-Log included(!)
10-bit 4:2:2 external output

A few annoying "features", such as no internal Cinema 4k at 4:2:2 8-bit, so a slightly bigger 1.8x UHD crop and no meaningful improvement in rolling shutter is a disappointment.

For stills as well, the 5D IV has its place, because
Dual cards slots
Joystick (not on the R, what the)
Battery life (if you use liveview though, it is not that impressive)
Better ruggedness (drop-in filters, changing lens can attract dust even with the shutter auto-closing)
More advanced DSLR AF system (configurable, faster fps in AF mode, can snap from far to close faster)

A C100 Mark II vs EOS R is also an interesting comparison.
While they are different, there are still quite a few 5D IV niggles which have been fixed, it is still not a video camera but as expected, it is ahead in technology.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I may be wrong, but you will need a PD charger to charge via USB.
A normal battery box may work, but it will be VERY slow.
You can buy PD battery boxes and these will also work on your laptop even a Macbook.
As PD chargers can charge up to 20 volts, they are much faster than normal USB chargers.
It's simpler to have a small power bank and a usb LP-E6(N) charger to charge a spare LP-E6(N) battery!
At least this is what I do with no issues.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bbb34

5D mk V
Jul 24, 2012
Amsterdam
For me, the most important difference is with the style and usability of the viewfinder. In the past, OVF was way better. In the future, the added value of the EVF will dominate. Looks like Canon worked a lot on the view finder of the R. There are a lot of details that are not in the data sheets, and people don't discuss them (yet). I don't think EVF is good enough for everybody, yet, but it is certainly attractive for many.

I would buy the R right away if I needed a new body now. "Sadly", my 5D3 still delivers great images.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
For me, the most important difference is with the style and usability of the viewfinder. In the past, OVF was way better. In the future, the added value of the EVF will dominate. Looks like Canon worked a lot on the view finder of the R. There are a lot of details that are not in the data sheets, and people don't discuss them (yet). I don't think OVF is good enough for everybody, yet, but it is certainly attractive for many.

I would buy the R right away if I needed a new body now. "Sadly", my 5D3 still delivers great images.
So my 5D4 and 5DsR. Plus they have a native EF-mount :)

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
If you don't mind a slight increase in weight and cost and a substantial increase in size, you can get an external 7" monitor for 5D4 with swivel and focus peaking - with HDMI pass-through.
Wifi also works for some things.

But, if you think about it, it is kind of crazy that you have to do that (for the peaking, the fixed screen I understand a little), and you also don't have the option of 4k external recording.

Upvote 0