Canon EOS R - Which lens? 28-105mm f4 IS or 28-70 f2?

So im considering upgrading my canon 5d IV to the new canon eos r...while the 5d IV still has a good chucnk of resale value.

anyways, i was wondering which lens would be best? the 28 105 f4 or plsurging on the 28-70 f2?

i only hvae one lens witht he 5d IV which was the 24-70 f2.8 II. stellar lens, but i always wish it had IS for video which i mostly do.

i like good photo quality too when taking picture at weddings and such, but those are only for fun and for my family/friends. (not an actual wedding photographer).

since im coming from a high aperature, would the f4 28-105mm be a downgrade? such as losing alot of bokeh?

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
So im considering upgrading my canon 5d IV to the new canon eos r...while the 5d IV still has a good chucnk of resale value.

anyways, i was wondering which lens would be best? the 28 105 f4 or plsurging on the 28-70 f2?

i only hvae one lens witht he 5d IV which was the 24-70 f2.8 II. stellar lens, but i always wish it had IS for video which i mostly do.

i like good photo quality too when taking picture at weddings and such, but those are only for fun and for my family/friends. (not an actual wedding photographer).

since im coming from a high aperature, would the f4 28-105mm be a downgrade? such as losing alot of bokeh?
Canon EF 28-105mm series have been discontinued for many years and they don’t make an RF 28-105mm.
5DIV to R is not an upgrade but a change.

Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2016
It's quite obvious he means the 24-105 R.

If you're just shooting for fun, why the hell pay 3000 bucks for the 28-70 f/2? I'm sure it's an amazing lens, but it's also as heavy as a 70-200 zoom. Do you shoot the 24-70 2.8 wide open all the time? If so, then you'll need to keep the 24-70 and use it with an adapter. That said, I shoot weddings for work and even with my 35 1.4 I 'm at f/4 or 5.6 most of the time ;).

anyway, I'd go with the 24-105. Seems to be a very good lens; check out the gallery dpreview posted: https://www.dpreview.com/samples/5742601657/canon-rf-24-105mm-f4l-is-usm-sample-gallery

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Can't really compare the two lenses.

But I'd say if you wanted to have fun try something different and use a prime lens rather than a zoom. Keep your 24-70 and use it with an adaptor on the R body, but get the 35mm R lens and use that primarily for your wedding shoots. You'll find yourself being more creative and enjoying it more I'm sure.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
That said, I shoot weddings for work and even with my 35 1.4 I 'm at f/4 or 5.6 most of the time ;).

That's because you're a pro. Amateurs shoot at 1.4 ! ;)

Seriously though I've never come across anyone who wants a portrait with sharp eyes but blurred nose and ears, even less one eye in focus and the other not. For subject isolation I find it's better to use a longer lens where possible.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
It's quite obvious he means the 24-105 R.

If you're just shooting for fun, why the hell pay 3000 bucks for the 28-70 f/2? I'm sure it's an amazing lens, but it's also as heavy as a 70-200 zoom. Do you shoot the 24-70 2.8 wide open all the time? If so, then you'll need to keep the 24-70 and use it with an adapter. That said, I shoot weddings for work and even with my 35 1.4 I 'm at f/4 or 5.6 most of the time ;).

anyway, I'd go with the 24-105. Seems to be a very good lens; check out the gallery dpreview posted: https://www.dpreview.com/samples/5742601657/canon-rf-24-105mm-f4l-is-usm-sample-gallery

thanks for the reply everyone. my plan was to sell both body and lens to pretty much cover most of the price of the EOS R with 24-105 f/4 kit lens. selling the body 5d IV alone would cover a good chunk to an i could use an adapter with my current 24-70 2.8 L II as some of you suggest. the biggest interest for me is the IS on the 105lens, which i assume help make sharper photos.

looking at some of my pics, i the camera sometimes uses f2.8, usually when its either low light (even with flash) or whem i am zoomed in at 70mm. otherwise, portait shots or group pics are usually f4 and above.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
The 24-105 is an absolute step back from the 24-70 2.8. The photos from the 24-105 are nowhere near as sharp, even with IS. It's a good general purpose lens but you'll be disappointed if you compare it.

The 28-70 is probably as good if not better than the 24-70, but is a massive heavy lens. Are you sure you want that?

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
Keep the 5DIV, the EOS R is not an upgrade. Wait for the next iteration of R if you have s good body already. OK, the 5DIV may well be worth less then but the R will probably go down more when a higher spec successor appears.

Agreed...as a second body, though, I definitely see the appeal...

But to get to the question at hand. I can only speak for the EF versions, but the 24-105 is not the same class of lens (performance-wise) as the 24-70 2.8. If you are used to the IQ of the 24-70, the 24-105 gives you IS and extra reach at the cost of some IQ and a stop of light, and the 28-70 will give you an extra stop and (what appears to be) slightly better IQ at the cost of $$$, 4mm at the wide end, and more weight. If none of those compromises sound appealing, recommend either a) adapting your 24-70 to the new R or b) keeping the 5D4 and holding off on the R until more RF lens options become available.

ETA: if you are shooting mostly video, the 24-105 should be plenty adequate. The addition of IS may be worth it for you. If you have space to back up, you can still get pretty decent subject/background separation at 105mm f/4 on FF.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The 24-105 is an absolute step back from the 24-70 2.8. The photos from the 24-105 are nowhere near as sharp, even with IS. It's a good general purpose lens but you'll be disappointed if you compare it.

The 28-70 is probably as good if not better than the 24-70, but is a massive heavy lens. Are you sure you want that?
Agreed...as a second body, though, I definitely see the appeal...

But to get to the question at hand. I can only speak for the EF versions, but the 24-105 is not the same class of lens (performance-wise) as the 24-70 2.8. If you are used to the IQ of the 24-70, the 24-105 gives you IS and extra reach at the cost of some IQ and a stop of light, and the 28-70 will give you an extra stop and (what appears to be) slightly better IQ at the cost of $$$, 4mm at the wide end, and more weight. If none of those compromises sound appealing, recommend either a) adapting your 24-70 to the new R or b) keeping the 5D4 and holding off on the R until more RF lens options become available.

ETA: if you are shooting mostly video, the 24-105 should be plenty adequate. The addition of IS may be worth it for you. If you have space to back up, you can still get pretty decent subject/background separation at 105mm f/4 on FF.
Keep the 5DIV, the EOS R is not an upgrade. Wait for the next iteration of R if you have s good body already. OK, the 5DIV may well be worth less then but the R will probably go down more when a higher spec successor appears.
What about the 24-70 F4? Good quality and reasonable weight... If you are hauling it around all day, lighter weight becomes important....

thanks for the detailed replies! Hmmit sounds like i should at the most part keep the 24-70mm lens in either case!

I noticed sometimes my hand held shots for photos can be sometimes slightly blurry hence why i thought i might benefit from the IS on the 24-105 lens.

Also, would the NEW 24-105 f4 lens for the EOS R be better then the EF one though? I guess we cant say until its released.

Upvote 0