Canon EOS R5 and a new Speedlite appear for certification

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Many that own 5Dmk4 and mk3 and slowly transitioning to mirrorless
In fact, I decided this week to trade in my battered 5D3 with >150 k actuations (still working flawlessly) to get a special discount on a new 5D4. Prices for the aging 5D4 are dropping massively and I decided to still wait a little bit and watch Canon building up their R system. The R5 will be quite expensive, maybe close to the price level of the 1D series I guess, an R6 and a crop R7 are still rumor, the R does not offer enough for a multi purpose workhorse camera how I need it, the only semi-attractive option for me so far would be an additional back-up RP for small and light gear. But that's my personal profile, of course.

Overall I am very happy that Canon now builds up their R system so fast. Looking in Canon's history, they react typically: they watch new a technology rising, staying conservative for a while, and then they really give it a go. So I think that Canon's bold move in the R system right now is generally good news for all of us who have heavily invested in Canon systems: there's a future, definitely.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Look, I just wanted to share my opinion, which is quite unpopular as it seems. I'm far from pro but not a beginner either. I've always focused more on taking pictures rather than comparing specs. I've been shooting with a 70D for the last 6 years and now I'm considering an upgrade. I was just wondering what exactly would justify a price that high. Have you got any enlightment for me?
Well, you are posting on Canon rumors, so you shouldn't wonder if the "Canon is doomed" sort of postings aren't that popular. But I am with you, free speech is important, and I do hope that CR does not go the same way like DPR, where as a Canon user you need to be a masochist if you want to post there - or you just post there sometimes to make fun out of the Pavlov-like reactions of some of those Canon haters there (I prefer to go shooting with a camera instead). I personally would recommend you to wait until the R system is a bit more advanced, it is still new and every new lens and camera is a huge investment for Canon. In fact, compared with Sony in the early years, Canon seem to move fast now, since a lot of lenses and new cameras are announced.

If you want to upgrade within the APS-C world you were in with the 70D, the M system would be currently your ecosystem anyway - if you want stay with Canon. I know, Canon is a bit slow with M lenses, but there are well working EF-M adapters available. Don't forget, the R5 is a dedicated FF pro tool, and a reliable and useable 8k video feature only will be expensive tech, not speaking about other pro features. The R5 is definitely aimed at Sony's pro cameras such as the A9, which is no bargain, too. Surely Canon will come up with more affordable R cameras, the original R was a just first move to start the RF system.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
In fact, I decided this week to trade in my battered 5D3 with >150 k actuations (still working flawlessly) to get a special discount on a new 5D4. Prices for the aging 5D4 are dropping massively and I decided to still wait a little bit and watch Canon building up their R system. The R5 will be quite expensive, maybe close to the price level of the 1D series I guess, an R6 and a crop R7 are still rumor, the R does not offer enough for a multi purpose workhorse camera how I need it, the only semi-attractive option for me so far would be an additional back-up RP for small and light gear. But that's my personal profile, of course.

Overall I am very happy that Canon now builds up their R system so fast. Looking in Canon's history, they react typically: they watch new a technology rising, staying conservative for a while, and then they really give it a go. So I think that Canon's bold move in the R system right now is generally good news for all of us who have heavily invested in Canon systems: there's a future, definitely.

Great post man. I seriously hope that canon gives us poor old retired folks a break on the R5. You'll love the 5D4. Mine has been great!

Upvote 0

magarity

CR Pro
Feb 14, 2017
Maybe it isn't a speedlite at all, but a wireless grip like the WFT-E4
that shipped when the 5D MkII was out.

This would add a gigabit ethernet port, which would greatly help
in placing the R5 at the olympics sidelines.
But the R5 is supposed to have 5Ghz wireless already built in, why would a grip with wifi be needed?

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
The video specs aren’t even comparable...the R5 will blow it out of the water.
I agree, but it will also boost sales of new, more powerful computers and latest monitors. So, overall, many industries will be happy about Canon's bold move - despite the fact, that 1080 will stay as a standard for a while, because otherwise the internet would be crashed by 8k streaming.

Pretty sure that Sony will not wait long...
Great post man. I seriously hope that canon gives us poor old retired folks a break on the R5. You'll love the 5D4. Mine has been great!
Well, I am not retired yet (in 10 years maybe) but I am no newbie to life in general and especially to photography ;) Thanks, I am sure I didn't anything wrong with the 5D4. In fact, I still loved my 5D3 and it was not so easy for me to give mine a go, after so many years. It was the first and only digital camera so far with which I developed a personal link, normally I only fall in love with vintage film cameras, in particular full mechanical ones. I used my 5D3 for nearly every area of photography, including wildlife in rugged areas. It never failed to work. With decent metering, like in the old days of slide film, it could produce great images, despite limited DR and color banding, and get beautiful film like colors out of the camera (I know from our extended Nikon gear that this isn't guaranteed with digital cameras). I wasn't surprised back in 2016 about the Huawei hoax, when they had to admit that the images of their marketing campaign then weren't shot with their smartphones but with a 5D3.

Upvote 0

TAF

CR Pro
Feb 26, 2012
That is the price for the WiFi extender module. The body alone will be 5900. Canon needs cash now competition is ahead and selling more and more camera’s to pro users.

In as much as "pro users" are but a small percentage of their business, I suspect that they will be aiming for the top end consumer market (more volume and hence more money).

See my previous post for my estimate on pricing.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
But the R5 is supposed to have 5Ghz wireless already built in, why would a grip with wifi be needed?

For the original commenter, the wired gigabit ethernet was the key capability.

More antennas and/or more powerfull radios. Just like the 1dx3 and it's wifi dongle.

Upvote 0
++++ I think the R5 will be expensive, but a price over $3,500 would just not make sense to me
A.M.: it makes perfect sense for someone who understands this market. you obviously do not.

So... 3'899 USD. My guess wasn't so bad for someone who "doesn't understand the market", eh? Turns out you don't need to be an expert in a particular market, basic understanding of marketing & supply and demand is quite enough.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
So... 3'899 USD. My guess wasn't so bad for someone who "doesn't understand the market", eh? Turns out you don't need to be an expert in a particular market, basic understanding of marketing & supply and demand is quite enough.
you said that anything over $3,500.00 would not make sense to you. are you trying to say now: I was wrong. The price mark is much higher than I was initially expecting... apologies for being childish..." Is that correct? :)

Upvote 0