Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6 and new lens SKU and kit information

David - Sydney

EOS 80D
Dec 7, 2014
www.flickr.com
Interesting.

Can you point to some of the earth shaking, can't do without improvements Adobe has done to say, Photoshop....that makes it so superior to CS6 that you can't live without? What amazing functionality have they added since then that blows CS6 out of the water and gives functionality you cannot do before rental model?

Just curious, maybe I missed it, I do try to keep up and listen for the updates, but I"ve yet to see anything so mind blowing for PS or LR that I couldn't still do inCS6 and LR5 for the most part...

C
For me, the dehaze tool is awesome (when used appropriately). I think that you could do the same using a combination of other sliders but the way it slices through mist/clouds is great. For underwater shots, I use it with almost every shot.

Reactions: Joules and stevelee

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
The Sigma 100-400 may be much cheaper than the Canon EF 100-400mm II, but its IQ is also a far cry from the EF 100-400 II IQ.
Yeah.... my point though is, that if even Sigma sold 100-400 C at nearly US$800, why would Canon sell 800/11 under $1000? It is way too cheap in my view.

Last edited:

SteveC

M6 mk II
Sep 3, 2019
With modern sensors I so rarely need an extra stop, so size, weight, and $1,000 would never seem worth it to me.
I'd have to see what the weight and penalty is, for sure, preferably by handling both lenses A/B. Other than that, that extra stop might help a lot with astro-photography, otherwise I'd tend to agree.

stevelee

FT-QL
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I'd have to see what the weight and penalty is, for sure, preferably by handling both lenses A/B. Other than that, that extra stop might help a lot with astro-photography, otherwise I'd tend to agree.
I would be inclined to think about a fast prime for astrophotography, but I don’t have one in mind. So I’d be more likely to apply the $1000 to that than to get the faster zoom. Or maybe I’d get a wider zoom or just break out my telescope. Or I could use the $1000 toward a better telescope. I haven’t used the telescope in the 10 years I’ve lived here, so probably not. There’s too much light pollution here anyway.

koenkooi

EOS 6D MK II
Feb 25, 2015
That 100-400mm II is rapidly getting to be on my list of "from my cold dead hands" lenses (alongside the No-L 100mm macro).
I traded in my 100mm non-L last year for the L version. I haven't regretted it. I was also surprised at the amount of money I got for it, more than half of what I paid for it 13 years earlier!
The big difference is smoother AF and having IS, I can't really spot any difference in IQ.

SteveC

M6 mk II
Sep 3, 2019
I traded in my 100mm non-L last year for the L version. I haven't regretted it. I was also surprised at the amount of money I got for it, more than half of what I paid for it 13 years earlier!
The big difference is smoother AF and having IS, I can't really spot any difference in IQ.
I've pretty much got the camera with the 100mm nailed in place, so IS is a non-issue. However, it's good to know that if the 100mm ever breaks and I can't find the non-L version, I can move up if need be.

stevelee

FT-QL
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Shooting macro, I focus manually and almost always use a tripod, so AF is not an issue, and IS wouldn't be of much use. When I do handhold macro shots, the shutter speed needs to be fast enough to stop the moving critter. I'm glad that the IQ is as good. That was the impression I had from reading reviews. At the time I bought it, my choice from was a financial one, between buying it or not buying it, not between it and the more expensive version. Like SteveC, if I ever had to replace it, I'd consider the L version.

Reactions: Michael Clark

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Yeah.... my point though is, that if even Sigma sold 100-400 C at nearly US$800, why would Canon sell 800/11 under $1000? It is way too cheap in my view.
Who suggested Canon was going to sell it for under $1K? I do think it will be well less than $2K.

shunsai

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Just saw Nokishita's tweet about the BG-R10 to be announced with the upcoming R5 and R6. Battery grip? Compatible with both R5 and R6? Afterall there was mention of a universal battery grip patent a while ago. Maybe this is a step in that direction.

Last edited:

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
There's nothing in the OP about prices.
There is actually.. indeed :)
https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/i...ens-sku-and-kit-information.38664/post-837874

the OP was suggesting that Canon F11 telephoto primes should not cost over $1000. here:

"... Keep in mind that these new Tele lenses are STM and f/11. The most expensive STM lens I am aware of costs less than 500$ on Amazon (the EF-M 18-150mm) and is expensive compared to many of the other STM lenses. Personally, I can't see these primes costing over 1000$. If they do,...."

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
There is actually.. indeed :)
https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/i...ens-sku-and-kit-information.38664/post-837874

the OP was suggesting that Canon F11 telephoto primes should not cost over $1000. here:

"... Keep in mind that these new Tele lenses are STM and f/11. The most expensive STM lens I am aware of costs less than 500$ on Amazon (the EF-M 18-150mm) and is expensive compared to many of the other STM lenses. Personally, I can't see these primes costing over 1000$. If they do,...."
That's post #189 in this thread, not post #1.

Joules

EOS 6D MK II
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Who suggested Canon was going to sell it for under $1K? I do think it will be well less than $2K.
Well, that was me, as you already pointed out.

I could see them costing over 1k as well, but if they do, this seems like a weird move from Canon to me. I think the STM makes no sense in that case. I mean, how much does going from STM to one of the modern USM types cost? And is that increase really enough to push the price over the threshold acceptable for the consumer?

These lenses are very interesting. I am very excited about the upcoming announcements. I am not sure if I will purchase any of them in the foreseeable future, but I hope they'll also provide some insight into Canon's long term intentions regarding the RF and EF-M system.

Codebunny

EOS RP
Sep 5, 2018
I can get a Lexar 128GB SDHX card UHS-II 250MB/s for £41GBP - yes slower than the Extreme Pro, but vastly more affordable than the CF Express card.
I'll only compare like for like on the same brand. And 250MB/s is less than 300MB/s and a lot less than 1700MB/s.