Canon EOS R5 launch price will be below $4000 USD [CR3]

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
The cheapest Ford Mustang V8 in the Netherlands is priced euro 123.000,- so that's $135.000,- Taxes are high. My income tax alone is 55% (well, before covid was fashion)... But camera stuff is reasonably priced. It's 30% more than the advertised USA-price but 21% of that is VAT.
Anyway. The 5R will be expensive when you add the grip and battery, a few CF express cards and the new external wifi transmitter...

In the USA, depending on the website that you order it from you won't pay any taxes on the camera. Are you supposed to then self report at the end of the year..yes, does anyone do that, that's a different story. And we are still talking about buying new, in the used market taxes are all but non existent.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
$3999 was my prediction for a long time. Sony killer at that price. Will sell lots of expensive RF lenses.

I personally think it will be less but am happy at anything less than 4K. What I love about the RF mount is that it is not compatible with the Sony mount so no more using the superb and superior Canon lenses on your Sony. If you want the fantastic RF lenses you will need to go Canon all the way. Brilliant move on Canon's part. PS the same can be said for Nikon as well with their new S mount.
This will really hurt Sony more than the camera itself as their minuscule mount does have development limitations, it is even smaller than the little Canon M mount.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
The cheapest Ford Mustang V8 in the Netherlands is priced euro 123.000,- so that's $135.000,- Taxes are high. My income tax alone is 55% (well, before covid was fashion)... But camera stuff is reasonably priced. It's 30% more than the advertised USA-price but 21% of that is VAT.
Anyway. The 5R will be expensive when you add the grip and battery, a few CF express cards and the new external wifi transmitter...
Taxes are high and so are social benefits, that is the choice the country makes, people bleating about ‘rip off’ wherever every time a price Is announced conveniently ignore that. Nobody but a fool expects low taxes and generous social benefit programs.

Meanwhile we here in the USA can fly fighter jets over healthcare workers to ‘show respect’ when I think they would be better served with a decent supply of PPE.

As for the Mustang, what special import tariffs and taxes are put on that either to protect the environment or other European performance car manufacturers? Ford aren’t getting anything like $135,000 per Mustang sold in Europe!

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
In the USA, depending on the website that you order it from you won't pay any taxes on the camera. Are you supposed to then self report at the end of the year..yes, does anyone do that, that's a different story. And we are still talking about buying new, in the used market taxes are all but non existent.

Most now are collecting taxes here under new guidelines that could punish them for not collecting and those who do not collect have a pricing system internally that makes you think you are not paying but they are paying or reporting it themselves.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
I personally think it will be less but am happy at anything less than 4K. What I love about the RF mount is that it is not compatible with the Sony mount so no more using the superb and superior Canon lenses on your Sony. If you want the fantastic RF lenses you will need to go Canon all the way. Brilliant move on Canon's part. PS the same can be said for Nikon as well with their new S mount.
This will really hurt Sony more than the camera itself as their minuscule mount does have development limitations, it is even smaller than the little Canon M mount.

I have always found that amusing; people who trash Canon at every turn then go buy an adapter and use nothing but Canon lenses on their Sony bodies. I do think the RF mount hurts Canon as well though, sure there's an adapter but with RF lenses costing more than their EF equivalents, and the fact that the new bodies aren't native to the EF mount; these factors can't help but slow adoption.

Most now are collecting taxes here under new guidelines that could punish them for not collecting and those who do not collect have a pricing system internally that makes you think you are not paying but they are paying or reporting it themselves.

The larger sites yes (especially Amazon), but you might be surprised at how many smaller sites still don't collect taxes. Even B&H didn't collect taxes on my recent purchase. It's really based on the state the company is in, the local laws of that state, and the laws of the state that you reside in.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

domo_p1000

EOS-1D X MkIII | EOS-1D X MkII
CR Pro
Aug 22, 2013
Thats would be a bold move of Canon cause it basically renders the 1DX3 obsolete.
Not a huge market overlap, but one that will inevitably grow. However, this will not stop the development of the EOS-1R with a form factor more akin to the EOS-1.
I am one of those boring luddites who likes big, heavy cameras and has been using the EOS-1 range since 1989!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
What I love about the RF mount is that it is not compatible with the Sony mount so no more using the superb and superior Canon lenses on your Sony.
Sounds mean-spirited and spiteful. Why would you possibly care if people use Canon lenses on Sony cameras? Do you by any chance have a redneck sticker on your pickup showing a nasty-looking kid pissing on a competing brand name?

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
I suspected (hoped?) it would be under $4K, but worried that it might not. Glad to have some assurance. Now it's just to figure out whether I can budget for an RF lens to go along with it, or will that be later in the year. Hopefully the announcement will actually be in June and the release will be July. Waiting another month just to confirm the specs is a bit much.

Upvote 0
Sounds mean-spirited and spiteful. Why would you possibly care if people use Canon lenses on Sony cameras? Do you by any chance have a redneck sticker on your pickup showing a nasty-looking kid pissing on a competing brand name?

There you go again, well if anything you’re just as bad as you claim him to be, I’ve seen your other posts from these recent forums, you’re just attempting to high horse anyone on a whim, I saw you randomly throw out the COVID crisis out of nowhere on someone who was just enjoying cameras like we all do on here... you sir are toxic on here, I’m a RN and working on a COVID unit too, and I come here to keep my sanity by enjoying my photography life, and to see you do that the other day was clearly offensive to me and showed me that enjoy randomly trying to high horse people to the point it clearly shows that you’re just on here to make yourself feel or seem better.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
$3,999 USD in US before sales tax equals (approximately)

€3,700 before tax, or ~ €4,400 with tax in EU

£3,250 before tax, or ~ £3,850 with VAT in UK

Now, I'd expect the EU and UK base prices to be higher because Canon (and every other manufacturer) build in a margin to protect themselves from currency fluctuations. It's bad form to set an RRP, and then have to adjust it in 3 months because the currency is worth less against the dollar.

So I'd call 4499 EUR and 3999 GBP retail prices assuming the retail price in the US is $3999

Well, depending on where you live, you can still order from B&H and they won't charge you sales tax...so, there is THAT too in much of the US.

;)

Or..so I hear.

Upvote 0

magarity

CR Pro
Feb 14, 2017
Why do people insist on saying this every time a price for anything is mentioned? UK prices are listed inclusive of tax USA prices are not. In the UK the health service is included in your tax bill, in the USA it is not, personally I'd pay a few hundred dollars more each time I bought a camera and got health insurance included, in the USA you 'save' a few hundred dollars on the cost of your camera and spend $500 every single month on health insurance because "Freedom".
In the US, some people spend a lot on individual health care insurance because "payroll taxes". Back when income tax and payroll deductions were introduced, employer provided health insurance was decreed not to be income and thus not taxable. So employers were thus encouraged to provide it as a way to attract employees. From there it just spread wildly. The unintended side effect was that small / self employers have higher costs. Disparate costs leads into a whole different can of worms centered mainly around health care providers' severely dysfunctional opaque pricing and discounting. "Freedom" doesn't really have much to do with it compared to tax accounting.

Upvote 0
$3,999 USD in US before sales tax equals (approximately)

€3,700 before tax, or ~ €4,400 with tax in EU

£3,250 before tax, or ~ £3,850 with VAT in UK

Now, I'd expect the EU and UK base prices to be higher because Canon (and every other manufacturer) build in a margin to protect themselves from currency fluctuations. It's bad form to set an RRP, and then have to adjust it in 3 months because the currency is worth less against the dollar.

So I'd call 4499 EUR and 3999 GBP retail prices assuming the retail price in the US is $3999
The Question will be, how much will they want to have for the accessories. New batteries, grips... maybe upgrades.... Might be, that the price of the body is low, but the surroundings are priced higher than usual.

The Rf series prices are more than opulent compared to EF series prices.

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
New R5 teaser video in German:

IBIS working, I guess they've got the megapixel count wrong though (they claim 35 megapixels instead of 45)
I noticed that 35 MP too. Any chance that was in reference to the resolution of the image that could be pulled from the video? This seemed to only talk about the video specs in detail.

(Also, did that music remind anyone else of Stranger Things?)

EDIT: ninja'd by @Chris.Chapterten

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0