Canon EOS R5 launch price will be below $4000 USD [CR3]

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
in 29 US states, there is a local law making it higher than $7.25. Just from eyeballing a bar graph, there are at least 15 states with a wage over $8.50, and they probably cover more than half of our population.

Consider the following:

State - Population as a percentage of U.S. - Minimum wage

States with $8.70/hr or higher minimum wage:

California - 11.9%- $12.00/hr ($13.00/hr for employers with more than 25 employees, some local areas are higher)
New York - 5.8% - $11.80/hr (Some local areas, including NYC at $15.00/hr with slightly less than half the state's entire population, are higher)
Florida - 6.6% - $8.56/hr
Illinois - 3.7% - $9.25/hr
Ohio - 3.4% - $8.70/hr
Michigan - 3% - $9.65/hr
New Jersey - 2.6% - $11.00/hr
Washington - 2.3% - $13.50/hr
Arizona - 2.2% - $12.00/hr
Massachusetts - 2.1% - $12.75/hr
Missouri - 1.9% - $9.45/hr
Maryland - 1.8% - $11.00/hr
Colorado - 1.8% - $12.00/hr
Oregon - 1.3% - $11.25/hr (some local areas are higher)
Connecticut - 1.1% - $11.00/hr (goes to $12.00 on September 1, 2020)
Arkansas - .9% - $10.00/hr
New Mexico - .6% - $9.00/hr
Nebraska- .6% - $9.00/hr
West Virginia - .5% - $8.75/hr
Hawaii - .4% - $10.10/hr
Maine - .4% - $12.00/hr
Montana - .3% - $8.65/hr
Rhode Island - .3% - $10.50
Delaware - .3% - $9.25
South Dakota - .3% - $9.30/hr
Alaska - .2% - $10.15/hr
DC - .2% - $14.00/hr (scheduled to go to $15.00/hr on July 1, 2020)
Vermont - .2% - $10.96/hr

Those states have 56.7% of the U.S. population.
33.7% of the U.S. population live in states with a minimum wage of $10.00/hr or more.

Additionally:

Minnesota - 1.7% - $8.15/hr ($10.00/hr for large employers)
Nevada - .9% - $7.25/hr if employer provides health insurance, $8.25/hr if not. (Scheduled to go up to $8.00/$9.00 on July 1, 2020)

Only 40.7% of the U.S. population lives in states where the federal minimum wage of $7.25/hr applies.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Steve Balcombe

Too much gear
Aug 1, 2014
This is no surprise, since Canon has publicly stated that the R5 is 5D class. A mirrorless equivalent could in theory cost a little less than a DSLR, so I'm still hoping for a bit less than £3.5k. But what is more important to me - and very few people have raised this point - is the combined price of the R5 and the RF 100-500, because I won't be buying one without the other.

BTW apologies for the on-topic post.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
And there are millions of people who work under the minimum wage because of the disgusting Minimum Tipped Wage rule where states can set the minimum wage as low as $3.89 and corporations can pool take the money left by patrons as tips to redistribute do whatever they want with.

They also have to make up the difference if the employee doesn't net $7.25/hr after tips.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Some states/businesses in the U.S. don't charge sales tax. Many people buying these cameras also have jobs which includes health insurance. This is about cameras, not political policies.

Only Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, and Oregon have no state sales tax. That covers only 2.54% of the U.S. population.

Upvote 0
2 months ago a thief broke into my car the day I was moving and stole my 5D mkIII, 4 EF Canon L lenses, and my macbook pro.... I was crushed, but after my insurance covered the COMPLETE cost of all those items from when I bought them, I almost want to thank that thief because of him I'm able to use that money to be able to jump to the RF system and lenses fresh and not feel guilty about having EF lenses. In the past I wanted to switch to sony but my EF lenses kept me from doing that, and I'm glad that they did and so the hardest thing for me right now is waiting for the R5 to come out, Now I've bought 3 RF lenses and have no camera to put it on so seeing the Eos R5 being priced under 4k will make everything fit what insurance gave me after my theft... I hated that thief 2 months ago, but now I almost wanna thank him.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Mar 4, 2020
A 1 series R camera could have 1 series features.

Vertical grip with better batteries, better controls like that fancy optical AF button/controller, matching card slots, buffer depth, better weather sealing, faster mechanical shutter (20 FPS in the 1DX III, 'only' 12 in the R5), connectivity, GPS (Unless the R5 also gets that), better video profiles, ...
I see the R1 simply as the 1DXiii with new flange, move sensor closer to flange and add IBIS, replace OVF with electronic, upgrade wifi to 5G like R5, and include video specs and codecs of r5. Same body. controls, etc.

I would think a pretty easy upgrade.

Upvote 0

CANNOT

Why, hello there
Mar 13, 2019
Nah fam. That Cannot be true; I highly doubt it.

When that one Aussie retailer put it up for around equivalent of $6k I was like 'yeah, that about right'. This thing is a menacing beast. BEAST. To put it in the price bracked of the S1H or A9 II seems an insult and silly for what it is.

To me the R5 on paper seems a spiritual successor to the 1D C that was all about video as well and that one wasn't even a grain as exciting as this, yet matched it price at launch to the then announced as well C300 which was a whopping $14999 people! The C300 Mark III got released for $10999, so that's a trend: more/better for less. I'm down for that. Obviously the R5 is less of a production machine, but heck is it capable! Again, I can't see this coming in at Panasonic or Sony mirrorless flagship pricing. It dwarfs them by a considerable amount (and I'd consider myself more of a Panasonic fanboii than a Canon one; it's not about the brand though, it's about value for money regardless of what badge is on a camera!).

So, yes... matching the C300 Mark III with $10999, seems well, silly, there's a market for the camera but they won't be selling like hotcakes when it's that much. But I consider $4k (which is a lot, don't get me wrong) to be relatively cheap... too cheap, I can't imagine they'd do it (if they do: respect!). So what I was thinking, if this is the spiritual 1D C successor, that makes this a very high-end specific niche camera. What else is a modern very high-end specific niche camera? Well, the Nikon D6 for example. And that's around $6499. So, that's my ballpark figure, $5999-6999. I'd really be suprised if it would come in at $3999 tbh.

But I mean, could be a tactic. Reduce the price = sell more = same profit; more or less. But with more sales comes more people drawn into your brand and ecosystem = boosted lenses/accessories sales. More of them in the wild & wow-ed customers = free advertisement. So that could as well be their approach. One thing's for sure: we'll see!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Feel free to express your opinion of me, but please don't use pompous phraseology in doing so. "You" suffices these days. If you must use pompous language, at least capitalize and punctuate properly. You, sir, ...
I hate that too, then there's the "I know you are smarter than that my friend...." Not that anyone ever said it to me of course.

Upvote 0
It can help, but it's way down the list for me, and can be lived without. I've run a lot of deep crops without it. Durability, initial target acquisition, consistency are all much more important.

I've owned 6 1D bodies for sports for myself and other photographers. We've put outrageous quantities of shots on them as sports tournament photographers. Some of them hit well over a million actuations. Only the 1DmkII (non-x) wore out, and that one was heavily used before I got it. In my 1DX/1DX2 bodies, I've never had a shutter replaced sooner than 450k clicks (usually it's longer than that), with one exception, and that was a bad sensor from the factory (which has been spotless since). They only get replaced because they're already at the lab for fixing, and it might be another 200-300k before there's time to send it in.

They've been dropped, exposed to elements, been in all sorts of temps and just keep on ticking. Only failure was a faulty rain gear letting water pool inside and shorting out the LCD screen. Camera still worked great, just had to go semi old school.

I'm more excited for the R6. The 7D2 was a brilliant value, because it gave you 80% of a 1DX for 1/4 (or less) of the price. It also provided a 112-320mm kit that could cover any field sport for about $1400 for second shooters. But it was not capable of great, only good to very good in terms of image quality. The Canon R line, while painfully underpowered for sports, produced a stellar image when it nailed the shot, and locked on crisper than any of my five 7d2's ever have.

Surely there will be some corners/rough spots that the R6 suffers from, or there'd be no reason to buy 1Dx3/R5 (or the eventual R1X). But if it can bring the focus precision of the 7d2 with the mirrorless functionality, I will run to trade in my 7D lineup for those.

I'd love to be surprised, but I highly expect all three to maintain the current classes. And that's perfectly fine with me, because portrait/videographers do not need my battleproof tank, and frankly sports shooters can get by without it. And I'm not about to buy a fleet of them, or the company goes out of business :)

But what's exciting is the possibility of actually using the 5R confidently for sports. The frame rate of the 5D was the dealbreaker.

All good points. Just want to mention that I would run around with a 1DX and a five series camera quite frequently. It was often too much to carry two of my one series cameras at the same time. And in all that running and gunning, I never saw the five series camera suffer any sort of physical damage that the one DX wouldn’t have taken in a similar fashion. In other words, I think that the one DX is a very impressive build, but the five series never really showed any more vulnerability. It’s really shameful what I put those cameras through. I suspect the new five camera will be similarly built.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
In the US, some people spend a lot on individual health care insurance because "payroll taxes". Back when income tax and payroll deductions were introduced, employer provided health insurance was decreed not to be income and thus not taxable. So employers were thus encouraged to provide it as a way to attract employees. From there it just spread wildly. The unintended side effect was that small / self employers have higher costs. Disparate costs leads into a whole different can of worms centered mainly around health care providers' severely dysfunctional opaque pricing and discounting. "Freedom" doesn't really have much to do with it compared to tax accounting.
And travel insurance to the US cost double what the costs are to any other (or multiple) countries - which is probably because they don't get these "discounts". The list price for health care items are ridiculous but only so providers can be given bigger discount %.
Australia has Medicare for all people but private health insurance is also common (choice of doctor, no or little waiting lists, dental insurance etc). Private health insurance generally also has co-payments as the most doctors charge over the "scheduled fee" which the governement hasn't changed in years. The government actually has an additional income tax surcharge if you earn over a certain amount and don't have private health cover.

Upvote 0
Being that the R5 is considered the mirrorless version of the 5D, if those specs translate to real-world use, then I'm looking forward to finally retiring my 5DM3 as soon as an appropriate underwater housing becomes available.
Luckily my Ikelite housing fits 5Diii/iv/SR so upgrading from iii to second hand iv meant I didn't need a new housing. That said, I will be moving to a new R5 Ikelite housing when it is available.
Touch screen is great especially for moving the focus point but no use underwater. The Ikelite housing doesn't support joystick movement so it will be interesting to see how tracking works without these 2 options. IBIS + IS stabilization will be very welcome!
Second hand housings aren't worth much though unfortunately :-(

Upvote 0