Canon EOS R5 launch price will be below $4000 USD [CR3]

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
B&H has been charging sales tax on my purchases at least since the beginning of 2019. (Ditto for amazon, adorama, and most other non-camera related online retailers that aren't fly-by-night operations trying to fly beneath the radar.)

Like I said..it depends on your state, the laws of your state and where the vendor is located. I spent over $10K in the last few weeks at B&H rigging a C200 and did not get charged sales tax on any of it. By your own admission and by anyone's standards B&H is not a fly by night operation. Even Amazon is hit or miss for me, and Amazon even has several warehouses in my state. They are more consistent lately with charging sales tax but definitely not 100% of the time, I think even on Amazon it still depends on where the vendor is located if it is fulfilled by Prime, etc.

Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
It definitely will be used at the Olympics, assuming they actually happen in 2021. Not every photo assignment at an event like the Olympics involves shooting sports action with big whites from long distances. There are also a lot of human interest stories to be covered. Athletes enjoying the night life in the host communities. Families and friends of athletes who made the long journey to watch and support their loved one. What it's like to live in the athlete's village for a few weeks. How hosting an Olympic event affects the lives of the local residents. Ect.

I overgeneralized a bit...my point was the R5 is not going to fill the niche space that the 1DX fills meaning big whites, fast action, long distances. It is also unlikely to win over die hard OVF shooters who aren't fans of the EVF; in fast moving sports EVF lag is a real concern. Obviously 5Ds have probably been at every Olympics and rightly so, but the 1DX exists for a niche that the 5D was never meant to fill.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
Like I said..it depends on your state, the laws of your state and where the vendor is located. I spent over $10K in the last few weeks at B&H rigging a C200 and did not get charged sales tax on any of it. By your own admission and by anyone's standards B&H is not a fly by night operation. Even Amazon is hit or miss for me, and Amazon even has several warehouses in my state. They are more consistent lately with charging sales tax but definitely not 100% of the time, I think even on Amazon it still depends on where the vendor is located if it is fulfilled by Prime, etc.
If you buy from Amazon, you will pay sales tax. There are many vendors that sell on Amazon and Amazon "fulfills" the order. In this case there is no sales tax. Unfortunately you also run the risk of counterfeit goods.

Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
Not all sport shooter use a 1Dx device. If one has ever been to a sporting event on regular basis or a Track & field event, as I'm a coach myself, they would certainly see many a journalist wih 5Dm3s and 5Dmk4 units. The 1Dx may be the device that Canon has advertised as THE sports shooters camera. However it is NOT the only camera. By any means. Simply look at the images on the journalist and "sports shooters" posting. You would be surprised. I never took a 1Dx out on the track or pitch. Why? Because shooting images are just one part of the task. Track and Field meets last ALL flipin day and during the Olympics for few weeks. Prelims, finals etc. Never wanted to be tied down to that tank when leaving the venues. Or having to return directly to the hotel. It's a large item to be lugging around especially when we were in Rio de janeiro. There was very little that one needed at a competition that the 5d couldn't do. Nada. My athlete runs the 110m hurdles. Never had any problem and got images that many photogs with 1Dx's drooled over. Because I know the competition that I'm shooting. Most sporting events have predictable movements. There's a lot one can do with 8k frame grab also.

Any camera can be a sports shooter; you can use a cell phone to film track and field. In fact the most popular camera at any sporting event has been the cell phone camera for many years now. My post was in reply to someone who said the R5 will make the 1DXIII obsolete. My point was the 1DX fills a niche (fast action, long distances, long whites) that the R5 does not fill and is not meant to fill. Just like Canon's Cinema series cameras fills a niche that the R5 was not meant to fill. I could say the R5 is not a Cinematic camera; does that mean you cannot shoot an entire feature film on it? No, it simply means that it was not designed to do so.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
$3999 was my prediction for a long time. Sony killer at that price. Will sell lots of expensive RF lenses.

This is not a Sony killer. Exactly what Sony model is it going to kill ? Sony has nothing comparable. This is aimed at the Panasonic S1H, also $4000 , which is taking the Indie/ Netflix market by storm.

Upvote 0
Feel free to express your opinion of me, but please don't use pompous phraseology in doing so. "You" suffices these days. If you must use pompous language, at least capitalize and punctuate properly. You, sir, ...

I think those errors were definitely worth seeing others agree with my post about your behavior on here :D. I'll let you enjoy your small whip back at me, while I get to enjoy seeing how many people could see how you really are on these forums, I'm going to continue on enjoying all this R5 news, feel free to troll others more, it'll definitely prove my point even further :)

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
If you are buying from an authorized seller instead of grey market, not paying sales tax is becoming rarer and rarer as various states pass legislation that allows them to require out of state sellers to collect sales tax on items shipped to their state. This has really taken off since a recent U.S. Supreme Court decision ruled in favor of such states. B&H, Adorama, Amazon, etc. all now charge me 8% sales tax on all online purchases, even though none of them have a physical presence in my home state.
Yes, this kind of levels the playing field for local photograhic vendors, if you can find one and gets me less excited about now ordering anything on Ebay, Amazon, Adorama, etc. etc.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
I’m curious to know if my 400mm f5.6L, which is not stabilized, will be stabilized on the new R5 body using a Canon adaptor. I’m already excited about the camera, but this would definitely seal the deal for me!
Interesting thought, not only for the 400mm you mention but for all the non IS EF lenses.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
What the heck, July now?!!! I'm tired of waiting for just a bloody announcement. Last I looked an announcement isn't going to get COVID-19, in fact an announcement doesn't care about COVID-19. This is ridiculous!
My guess here is that, given all the R5 hype, Canon wants to be able to have adequate supplies of same, once they do start shipping, to avoid angry outbursts among the Canon user community. Given Covid 19 circumstances, who knows what their current manufacturing capabilities are. We've been waiting awhile now for this camera, so let's see if we can just be patient a little longer. In the meantime, I think we all have some Canon gear laying around that still takes wonderful photos.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Many years ago, people said same thing to amazon. Now amazon is like a public enemy and will kill all competitors.

For every one amazon, there are dozens, if not hundreds of DeLoreans, Solyndras, and other well publicized and massively financed startups that never turned the corner.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
So what? I'm in CA and I've ordered Camera equipment (and computers) from sites like Adorama in NY which sold it to me sans sales tax. What's your point?

In the past everyone who didn't live in NY state didn't have to pay sales tax when buying from Adorama. Not so any more. Since a landmark Supreme Court decision in 2018 almost 40 states have passed legislation requiring out of state sellers to collect sales tax on sales shipped to those states. If California hasn't done so already, it's just a matter of time.

When's the last time you bought anything from Adorama and weren't charged sales tax?

Upvote 0
I like the ala carte Lego idea more. Go online to Canon and start checking/unchecking radio buttons.

It's done differently these days. Subscription model is the way to go. For say $3000 you buy basic features, then you pay $15 a month for 8K video, $5 for animal eye tracking, $7 to unlock 14-bit still raw, $1 to enable the disable option for menu sounds etc. etc.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
It's done differently these days. Subscription model is the way to go. For say $3000 you buy basic features, then you pay $15 a month for 8K video, $5 for animal eye tracking, $7 to unlock 14-bit still raw, $1 to enable the disable option for menu sounds etc. etc.

That sounds pretty horrible and would make me leave Canon for good. Adobe did that with Premier Pro and thanks to Adobe I discovered a far superior NLE called DaVinci Resolve; I guess I should actually thank Adobe for that one. Panasonic tried that with V-Log and eventually gave up and started including it with the GH5s

I'm only thinking of buying an eos r now, so it wil be about 4 years before i even think about an r5.

I would wait and see the full R6 specs, for me the EOS R's single card slot and fn bar made it a non-starter. If the R6 has a variant of the 1DXIII's sensor it's going to be a beast at a very attractive price point. I also feel like there may be something on the way that will fill the odd resolution gap between the R5 and R6, I like to think of it as the R7 or R8.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016

If you used B&H's Payboo card to purchase all of that stuff, they charged you sales tax and then gave you a rebate for the exact same amount. They also had to pay that tax to your state (or will with the next monthly or quarterly report). Or you may well be in one of the few remaining states that do not require online sellers to collect sales tax for them, or maybe even in one of the few states that don't have sales tax. In either case, you are now in the minority of the total U.S. population.

Upvote 0