Canon EOS R5 launch price will be below $4000 USD [CR3]

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I'm sure it focusses excellent. However, the 1dX III does not have animal eye or face detect in live view.
It does have face detect and human eye AF in LiveView though.

"In Live View shooting, the EOS-1D X Mark III’s AF system supports face, head and, most noteworthy, eye detection AF tracking"

The eye AF isn't present in the OVF AF, indicating that LiveView AF performance does kind of outperform OVF performance already. And that's despite the 1DX III having such a huuuge upgrade in AF tech over previous DSLR.

Since the R5 officially gets eye AF for animals, including birds, I would not be surprised if the 1DX gets a firmware upgrade down the line to get those too. Though only in LiveView of course.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
In Germany, many reputable dealers list the Sony A7R IV
at 3999 EUR including 19% VAT, offering a 400 EUR trade-in
for an effective 3599 EUR inclusing VAT.

The R5 will undercut this to make sure the Sony is dead.

My bet still goes to 3500 EUR including VAT in Germany.
The 5D IV started at 4129 €. I would be shocked if they go below that.

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
So, two things.
Firstly, This appears to be good news, although there seems to be comments that the US price is before tax which I couldn't see in the release? Despite that, it's good that it is under $4,000 but by how much lol. Another teaser lol.
The announcement date seems to have changed to July. Annoying but it is what it is and I'm sure that Canon have good reasons for this. I assume deliveries could start in august or September if they have the stock?

Secondly, I'm quite relaxed and broadminded but there seems to be an increasing number of comments that include politics, sometimes directly, other times masquerading as justification about a particular issue like pricing or healthcare. Come on guys, this is a forum about cameras not about politics. One is fun and engaging (cameras), the other (politics) whilst a massive and important topic is divisive in the extreme but not something we should include here, maybe try twitter or another social media platform if you feel the need to voice your political thoughts?

Cheers
;)

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2016
It does have face detect and human eye AF in LiveView though.

"In Live View shooting, the EOS-1D X Mark III’s AF system supports face, head and, most noteworthy, eye detection AF tracking"

The eye AF isn't present in the OVF AF, indicating that LiveView AF performance does kind of outperform OVF performance already. And that's despite the 1DX III having such a huuuge upgrade in AF tech over previous DSLR.

Since the R5 officially gets eye AF for animals, including birds, I would not be surprised if the 1DX gets a firmware upgrade down the line to get those too. Though only in LiveView of course.
sorry, I meant animal eye and animal face and body detect.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
So, two things.
Firstly, This appears to be good news, although there seems to be comments that the US price is before tax which I couldn't see in the release? Despite that, it's good that it is under $4,000 but by how much lol. Another teaser lol.
The announcement date seems to have changed to July. Annoying but it is what it is and I'm sure that Canon have good reasons for this. I assume deliveries could start in august or September if they have the stock?

Secondly, I'm quite relaxed and broadminded but there seems to be an increasing number of comments that include politics, sometimes directly, other times masquerading as justification about a particular issue like pricing or healthcare. Come on guys, this is a forum about cameras not about politics. One is fun and engaging (cameras), the other (politics) whilst a massive and important topic is divisive in the extreme but not something we should include here, maybe try twitter or another social media platform if you feel the need to voice your political thoughts?

Cheers
;)
So how do you answer a ridiculous comment like "rip off Britain" without pointing out the different way taxes are listed on prices and the different things you get for those taxes?

Or more succinctly, how do you point out valid reasoning for quite different pricing structures worldwide without touching on broader issues? Or, how do you get people to stop comparing apples to oranges?

I was answering an often stated falsehood and have gotten 30 40 odd likes for doing it, I have been doing that all the time I have been here and I won't stop or apologize. Next time it will be about how "sensors with more pixels make more noise", or "a pro would never use that it's only got one card slot", "DR doesn't change with sensor size", "depth of field is constant and doesn't change with output size/viewing distance", "you can't handhold a camera with more than 35mp", "equivalence is a fallacy because you don't have to change iso", " there is no point in those MP because the lenses can't resolve it"..........

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
In the USA, depending on the website that you order it from you won't pay any taxes on the camera. Are you supposed to then self report at the end of the year..yes, does anyone do that, that's a different story. And we are still talking about buying new, in the used market taxes are all but non existent.

And don’t forget about things like the PayBoo card with B&H where you receive an instant credit/reward on the CC account equal to the sales tax amount, so sales tax is paid to your state* for your purchase, but when you pay your CC bill, it is only equal to the pre-tax amount.

*Not every state has sales tax and the program is not available for ever state.

Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
If you are buying from an authorized seller instead of grey market, not paying sales tax is becoming rarer and rarer as various states pass legislation that allows them to require out of state sellers to collect sales tax on items shipped to their state. This has really taken off since a recent U.S. Supreme Court decision ruled in favor of such states. B&H, Adorama, Amazon, etc. all now charge me 8% sales tax on all online purchases, even though none of them have a physical presence in my home state.

Hopefully you are and are able to take advantage of B&H’s PayBoo card. Saves me hundreds of dollars a year.

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
Many years ago, people said same thing to amazon. Now amazon is like a public enemy and will kill all competitors.

Amazon re-invested its net revenue back into growth, so that it didn't show a profit on paper. That's very different to spending more than a company earns.

As for this R5, I've lost interest at this point. If they ever do a cheaper R5.5 with the resolution of the R5 but without the crazy video bias then I'd buy.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
Because you are convinced that health insurance in Europe is free ???
Many Europeans would happily pay only $500 a month...

But that is just to HAVE it. Using it costs more. Think of it like buying a car and it’s $500/month, but the car can only sit in your driveway or garage. And you can’t even sit in it. You just get to tell your friends you have it. If you want to drive it, you have to pay more and those fees are different depending on how you drive it, where you drive it, etc.

Upvote 0
What a waiting game this is... let's hope this camera will not be 4000 in euros but around 3600, as it should be converted to euros. But it probably will be 4000 in euros as Canon is famous for charging mind-blowing prices for their gear. Let's hope this camera will be the first one delivering 100% crisp sharp images in the Canon range.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
As for this R5, I've lost interest at this point. If they ever do a cheaper R5.5 with the resolution of the R5 but without the crazy video bias then I'd buy.
There is no reason for such a camera to be "cheaper". It will cost exactly the same to produce, but won't sell well.

The only way they can make the crippled version look "cheaper" than the non-crippled one is by raising the prices on the latter. Do we really want that?

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
it will win those who want nearly as fast as the 7 and nearly as hi res as the 9. It avoids the hard choice by offering both.
Since the 9 is the speed camera and the 7R is the hi res line, it looks like you reversed your comparisons (the Sony 7 line tops out at 10 fps and the 9 has a max resolution of 24MP).

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
So how do you answer a ridiculous comment like "rip off Britain" without pointing out the different way taxes are listed on prices and the different things you get for those taxes?

Or more succinctly, how do you point out valid reasoning for quite different pricing structures worldwide without touching on broader issues? Or, how do you get people to stop comparing apples to oranges?

I was answering an often stated falsehood and have gotten 30 odd likes for doing it, I have been doing that all the time I have been here and I won't stop or apologize. Next time it will be about how "sensors with more pixels make more noise", or "a pro would never use that it's only got one card slot", "DR doesn't change with sensor size", "depth of field is constant and doesn't change with output size/viewing distance", "you can't handhold a camera with more than 35mp", "equivalence is a fallacy because you don't have to change iso", " there is no point in those MP because the lenses can't resolve it"..........
Hi, I'm sorry if you took this personally, I didn't add this specifically about yours or anyone's comment in particular, it was a general comment on the many threads and topics lately having content that wasn't really about Canon. And BTW I don't think anyone should apologise about an opinion unless it causes harm to someone.

The whole subject of social media and people making comments about topics or people is a massive thing & too big and inappropriate to cover here, suffice to say the vicious circle of someone saying something and then someone replying and so on and so on, can go on for ever and potentially get very nasty.

My philosophy is that everyone has & is entitled to their own opinion about absolutely everything and sometimes someone will take umbrage at it and respond in kind. To me the best way to respond is, don't respond, as unless it is agreeing with the comment, any response gives it air time and more oxygen and it will snowball out of control. If someone is saying something that is wrong, unless it is causing harm, let them get on with it.

I understand sometimes a comment may be based on incorrect facts and it's hard not to correct them but no one likes to be told they are wrong. You know they are wrong and I bet loads more do as well but there's little to be gained by publicly saying so.

Lol, I'm breaking my own rule here responding but then your comments weren't really inflammatory.

You obviously have a wide amount of knowledge so it's always great to share experiences about Canon products. :)

• Wow
Upvote 0