Canon EOS R5 launch price will be below $4000 USD [CR3]

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
I expect it will be just fine for sports. I've had no problems, and neither have many others, using the 5D3 and 5D4 for sports. It's more about knowing how and when to shoot rather than spraying and praying.

You (and many others) did not read the entire post...I was responding to someone who said the R5 will make the 1DXIII obsolete; of course the 5D and R5 can be used for sports, will either make the 1D series obsolete...no.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Would you be willing to share a screenshot of a recent receipt that shows no sales tax was collected? They started charging sales tax last year due to the Supreme Court ruling...they even issued a press release about it.

For the record, I'm not saying you're lying...I spend A LOT of money at BH and have been paying sales tax for the past year. If they're not charging you sales tax I'd love to get more info about it.

You can get their credit card that gives you a discount based on the amount of sales tax you owe. Buy it with the discount and then pay the card immediately.

Upvote 0

xanbarksdale

Canon Collector
CR Pro
Jul 18, 2019
Kentucky
My job is in e-commerce so I’m MUCH more familiar with the inter state sales tax laws than I’d like to be, ha!

Each state has different laws which makes it an absolute NIGHTMARE for accounting. That’s why most Large online retailers collect sales tax in every state.

I live in KY and they charge sales tax when shipping here.

for large purchases I use their 0% interest credit card. I was more interested in which stares theydon’t collect taxes from.

very surprised to hear that they don’t collect tax on orders shipped to CA...especially since they released a press release last year specifically naming CA.

Upvote 0
My job is in e-commerce so I’m MUCH more familiar with the inter state sales tax laws than I’d like to be, ha!

Each state has different laws which makes it an absolute NIGHTMARE for accounting. That’s why most Large online retailers collect sales tax in every state.

I live in KY and they charge sales tax when shipping here.

for large purchases I use their 0% interest credit card. I was more interested in which stares theydon’t collect taxes from.

very surprised to hear that they don’t collect tax on orders shipped to CA...especially since they released a press release last year specifically naming CA.

Both Adorama and B&H have collected tax from me. I'm in CA. But regardless of whether vendor collects the tax or not, you still have to report and pay at the end of the year.

Upvote 0
Ok, I'll try to leave it at this.

You are extrapolating what I said to a much larger scale to which I was not speaking towards.

I was talking specifically about the US...not "the world".

I was also specifically talking about tipped waiters / bartenders in the US, something I have had experience with and yes, some people are better at it that others and will make more $$ at it....some are not good enough or don't put in the effort to make it in those. industries.

And that's ok....there are other jobs in the world.

I'll try to drop it at this...I wasn't speaking nearly so broadly as you are trying to stretch my former comments.

HTH,

C
I was speaking about the US also. And yes, I know a ton of people in the hospitality industry that work their butts off and still don't get the tips they deserve.

Upvote 0

Eclipsed

EOS R5, "Hefty Fifty" and more.
Apr 30, 2020
You (and many others) did not read the entire post...I was responding to someone who said the R5 will make the 1DXIII obsolete; of course the 5D and R5 can be used for sports, will either make the 1D series obsolete...no.
Glad someone is here to point out that obvious hyperbole is obvious hyperbole. Whew!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
Can you discern my point even with my imperfect recollection of Sony offerings?
Brother, I'm just trying to help you out. Your previous response was to the following post:

CanoKnight said:
This is not a Sony killer. Exactly what Sony model is it going to kill ? Sony has nothing comparable.

Precision matters. Thus, if you have no clue which camera in the Sony line does what, why oh why are you responding to a request for a specific model?

Upvote 0
It should be 3K, no more. Let's be realistic, the market is shrinking, nobody buys cameras anymore, covid19 made us all poor. I seriously think cameras are well overpriced, making money selling images is very difficult. It's just an expensive hobby and for a hobby you can do without such an expensive gadget which ages so quickly.

It will be more and more difficult to convince young phone addicts to spend this kind of money on a camera.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
It should be 3K, no more. Let's be realistic, the market is shrinking, nobody buys cameras anymore, covid19 made us all poor. I seriously think cameras are well overpriced, making money selling images is very difficult. It's just an expensive hobby and for a hobby you can do without such an expensive gadget which ages so quickly.

It will be more and more difficult to convince young phone addicts to spend this kind of money on a camera.
There are many other cheaper cameras available for 'hobby'. This is targeted towards people who will use this for work and serious photography.
A company can, should, and will charge what they think they can to get the best profit over the long run. They need to consider design, engineering, production costs, and market pricing.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020

I agree with all of your points except that it should be $3K. That statement makes you sound like clients who say I should shoot their 8hr wedding for $400 since their wedding is only 30 people because of the pandemic. My overhead did not change due to the pandemic or because their events are smaller and neither did Canon's.

At the end of the day everyone has to make money to stay in business and Canon is no different. Neither you nor I know the amount of R&D that went into developing this camera, the cost of its parts, marketing, tradeshow preparations, patent applications in multiple countries, instruction manual translations, etc. etc the list goes on. Companies typically make far less on the products they sell than people realize.

If you think making money selling images is very difficult imagine trying to make money selling cameras. If you want a less expensive gadget then just buy a less expensive camera, that does not mean Canon has to price their flagship hybrid at the price you think it should be at, a price point which by the way would mean Canon is literally paying you to buy their camera. The EOS R is a great little camera for non pros, is only $1800USD, and will meet the needs of probably 99% of prosumers and hobbyists; no one is forcing you to buy the R5 and from the sound of it, you are not Canon's target audience for that body.

My favorite reference point as always is the Panasonic S1H. Panasonic had every incentive imaginable to price their S1H as competitively as possible but still was not able to get it below $4K USD. IMO the S1H is the closest body out there that rivals the specs we've seen so far for the R5 and it is $4K USD. The fact that Canon has stated they will be able to keep the R5 below $4K is an impressive enough feat on its own but saying it should be priced at $3K sounds like some arbitrary unrealistic rationalization that is not based on even a modicum of factual evidence.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

BakaBokeh

CR Pro
May 16, 2020
Canon 5DmkIV was $3499 at time of release in 2016.
Accounting for cumulative inflation of 6.8% that would be $3,738.89 today*.

But inflation can't be the only indicator, because the 5D mkIII was also $3499 at release in 2012. That would give it a value of $3,908.46 in 2020*.

Going all the way back to the mkII, it had the bargain price of $2699.99 at release in 2008. That would be $3,215.23 in 2020*.

So we are all over the map as far as what a 5D typically nets.

So Canon can do one of several things:

A) Keep the recent tradition and price it at $3499.99 like the previous 4 & 3 iterations.
B) Tack on inflation and round up price at $3799,99
C) Reason that the upgrades in specs and technology are so incredibly significant that they can push it all the way to $3999.99 and still boast that they kept it under $4k.

Some other thoughts. I bought a 5DmkIV a few months before the EOS R was announced. So I weighed heavily "upgrading" so shortly after buying the 5DIV. There were so many similarities, that it made no sense to switch so early. Same sensor, identical IQ, same Dual Pixel AF system and the tradeoffs did not give me a big enough reason to switch. Like trading dual card slots for a variangle screen, or superior weather sealing for access to the wonderful, albeit limited, RF lens lineup. What was noticeable is that with all that "equivalence" I struggled with, the EOS R was significantly cheaper than the 5DIV. Like almost a thousand dollar difference. Today, that price for the EOS R is even more way down. So maybe there's something to be said about manufacturing cost for a mirrorless system being significantly lower than for a DSLR. Maybe that's why for all the incredible spec jumps, they can still keep the cost at a "5D level?"

So maybe there's another option?

D) Manufacturing cost keep the price nice and tidy and maybe accounting for an economy in shambles we get it at a jaw dropping $3299.99. After all that would put it right around the cost of the last Canon camera that was a generational game-changer: the 5DmkII.

*inflation calculated using https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

Upvote 0