Canon EOS R5 launch price will be below $4000 USD [CR3]

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
I think we need to remember, even as good as RF Glass has been praised, most EF glass is still excellent and industry leading. It's not like it is a major step back. (Except for the new RF glass that has no EF equivalent, such as 28-70 f/2...) So it can and will fill a lot of needs, including people stepping up to R that can't afford to buy RF glass now and people that want to maintain flexibility with existing cameras, both dslr and M series.

I'm still all in on my EF glass and have no plans to replace it with RF. The PITA for me right now is the sheer number of mounts I'm stuck supporting due to the wide variety of work I do:

I have EF, MFT, and APS-C glass which makes my kit messier than I would like. I may replace my T6s timelapse body with the RP and hopefully my GH5 with the R6 which would let me consolidate around just RF and EF. The problem with the RP (and any mirrorless) is that it has nowhere near the battery life of the T6s which is why I'm still on the fence.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
I think we need to remember, even as good as RF Glass has been praised, most EF glass is still excellent and industry leading. It's not like it is a major step back. (Except for the new RF glass that has no EF equivalent, such as 28-70 f/2...) So it can and will fill a lot of needs, including people stepping up to R that can't afford to buy RF glass now and people that want to maintain flexibility with existing cameras, both dslr and M series.
My exact thoughts as I begin to move towards RF glass for the R5.

I don't see myself replacing my EF glass at the moment unless there's a real need or I totally move to the RF system after the R1. But my eye is immediately set on three RF lenses:

• 35mm 1.8
    • Small and compact to use the R5 like a Fuji X100 on steroids
  • 28-70mm f/2L
    • To use in my paid work covering breaking news at night, where F/2 would be a huge step up over my 24-70. ISO 6400 is *far* better than 12,800.
  • RF 70-200
    • Low priority over the EF 70-200, but at that size would make it far easier to keep a 70-200 in a small bag on me outside of work, but difficult to justify the cost when my 1dx2 will have my long EF glass on paid work, paired with the R5 on a wide.
Outside of that, I would be interested in getting an RF 85mm f/1.4L if they ever release it, to have a portrait lens. I'd get the EF 85mm 1.4L IS but I'd prefer to spend money on RF glass going forward.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
My exact thoughts as I begin to move towards RF glass for the R5.

I don't see myself replacing my EF glass at the moment unless there's a real need or I totally move to the RF system after the R1. But my eye is immediately set on three RF lenses:

• 35mm 1.8
    • Small and compact to use the R5 like a Fuji X100 on steroids
  • 28-70mm f/2L
    • To use in my paid work covering breaking news at night, where F/2 would be a huge step up over my 24-70. ISO 6400 is *far* better than 12,800.
  • RF 70-200
    • Low priority over the EF 70-200, but at that size would make it far easier to keep a 70-200 in a small bag on me outside of work, but difficult to justify the cost when my 1dx2 will have my long EF glass on paid work, paired with the R5 on a wide.
Outside of that, I would be interested in getting an RF 85mm f/1.4L if they ever release it, to have a portrait lens. I'd get the EF 85mm 1.4L IS but I'd prefer to spend money on RF glass going forward.
There is the new Samyang 85 1.4 that has just been announced for RF mount. And it does have autofocus. It also happens to have, coincidentally, a red ring around the barrel.

I hope it is an indication that there will be viable native mount alternatives to expensive Canon RF lenses in the future.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
There is the new Samyang 85 1.4 that has just been announced for RF mount. And it does have autofocus. It also happens to have, coincidentally, a red ring around the barrel.

I hope it is an indication that there will be viable native mount alternatives to expensive Canon RF lenses in the future.

As nice as third party options are, as a Platinum Canon Professional Services member I always stick to entirely Canon gear knowing if anything breaks Canon will get it back to me in two days. Can't stress how impeccable CPS is and how much of an asset it's been to me. I've broken my 5d3, 1dx2, 24-70(twice), and 35mm in the line of work and every time I've sent things on a Monday it gets back to me that Wednesday with free shipping and a 30% discount. Easily one of the biggest reasons I've never considered switching brands.

That said, I totally agree and hope there are more third party lens options since it would definitely help grow the overall appeal of the R system and give more access to the system to consumers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Might I suggest we compare pre-tax prices so we can avoid the whole tax/government discussion. In the US that means the listed price. Elsewhere we subtract the VAT/etc. tax from the listed price. For 17% VAT you would multiple the list price by 0.8547. Then you can apply exchange rates for comparison.
That doesn‘t take import duties and tariffs into account so is just as useless. Whatever some people might think or have been told about tariffs the truth is they are a direct end user tax. Now there might be all kinds of genuinely good reasons for the duty/tariff/pre sales tax tax, but we can’t hope to work all that out.

I wonder what the difference is in FOB price is, if any, for the various Canon distributors/importers when they purchase direct from Canon Japan, indeed shipping, insurance, distribution, import fees and duties, clearances, transportation, storage, and then redistribution are all factors the importer pays for not the exporter. If fuel is more expensive in one country than another then even if all else was equal the customer cost would have to be adjusted for the fuel used in the importation and distribution of the item.

Upvote 0
Why do people insist on saying this every time a price for anything is mentioned? UK prices are listed inclusive of tax USA prices are not. In the UK the health service is included in your tax bill, in the USA it is not, personally I'd pay a few hundred dollars more each time I bought a camera and got health insurance included, in the USA you 'save' a few hundred dollars on the cost of your camera and spend $500 every single month on health insurance because "Freedom".

You pay way more than just a few hundred dollars on camera purchases for your nationalized healthcare. If you're going to mock our system in the US at least be more forthcoming about the actual costs in your society.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
You pay way more than just a few hundred dollars on camera purchases for your nationalized healthcare. If you're going to mock our system in the US at least be more forthcoming about the actual costs in your society.
Any way you reason it the cost of healthcare in the USA is 250% per person that of the UK for an inferior outcome, to me that isn’t a mocking or political comment just a statement of fact and it doesn’t matter where the money comes from, either direct payment or indirect taxes, it’s the same thing.

My original point was compare apples to apples not apples to oranges, there are fees and taxes in the list price in the UK that are not in the list price of the same product in the USA.

As I am a tax paying USA resident I feel I am qualified to mock the systems of both the USA and the UK, my homeland, not that I was mocking anything, I just feel I am qualified...

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Looking at your kit, I have a similar set up, EOS R, 24-105MM f4 & 70-200MM F2.8 &I've been thinking about swapping the 24-105 for the 28-70mm for the extra aperture. Do you find you have to swap lenses often as there is no overlap?
I was also considering whether to get the RF24-105mm or not (and sell my EF24-105mm L mark 1) but I realised that I do have different use cases. 24-105mm for walk around and for indoor sports where there is a lot of movement at variable distance (eg karate sparing where everyone is on the floor at the same time) with the ISO cranked up. If I have space, then I will take the 70-200mm f/2.8 and the 16-35mm f/4 for coverage in any situation... groups with the wide angle eg churches where you might not have a lot of distance with lots of people and telephoto for closeups of couples/babies etc. I can't justify the RF15-35mm as I will always need some depth of field for groups and the quality of the EF16-35 f/4 is excellent. My land/seascapes with higher apertures don't need f/2.8 and my 77mm filter set fits both telephoto and wide angle. Lots of extra cost to move the the RF wide angle for me. I will probably get the (probable) RF24-105mm kit with the R5 and sell my EF24-105mm.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That doesn‘t take import duties and tariffs into account so is just as useless. Whatever some people might think or have been told about tariffs the truth is they are a direct end user tax. Now there might be all kinds of genuinely good reasons for the duty/tariff/pre sales tax tax, but we can’t hope to work all that out.

I wonder what the difference is in FOB price is, if any, for the various Canon distributors/importers when they purchase direct from Canon Japan, indeed shipping, insurance, distribution, import fees and duties, clearances, transportation, storage, and then redistribution are all factors the importer pays for not the exporter. If fuel is more expensive in one country than another then even if all else was equal the customer cost would have to be adjusted for the fuel used in the importation and distribution of the item.
Not to quibble a lot but
"Since Incoterms 1980 introduced the Incoterm FCA, FOB should only be used for non-containerized seafreight and inla"nd waterway transport. However, FOB is commonly used incorrectly for all modes of transport despite the contractual risks that this can introduce. In some common law countries such as the United States of America, FOB is not only connected with the carriage of goods by sea but also used for inland carriage aboard any "vessel, car or other vehicle.""
Since we are referring to international countries/shipments then FCA or more recently DAP is more commonly used for airfreight.

It would be rare for high cost/relatively small electronic devices to be shipped by sea.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incoterms#FOB_–_Free_on_Board_(named_port_of_shipment)

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I personally tip well over 15%, especially on a small check, or if they seemed to be busting their tails. Back in the day you could get a very cheap $4 lunch at some restaurants (that would make it up for dinner which would be $12 or so), I'd tip as though paying "normal" price not the cut rate lunch price; I'd tip a couple of dollars.

I've been "bitten" by not understanding customary tipping in other places. I fear on my last overseas trip I pissed off a lot of the locals because I was under the impression there was no tipping. And even when someone suggested I should tip so-and-so, I fear that I tipped too little. I have no idea. It was "third world," though, so the money I tipped might have been HUGE to them, for all I know.

Our restaurants have just started back table service outdoors (great this lovely spring) and limited service indoors. I'm still doing curbside pick up. When I phone the order in, I tell them to add $3 or $5 to the credit card bill for the tip, so we don't have to pass stuff back and forth. That comes out to more than I would have tipped normally even with table service, say 20% and round up, minimum. I've supported the restaurants along to keep them in business, and hoped I helped keep their limited staff solvent.

I've spent very limited time in third world countries, depending upon one's definitions, and even then usually not going independently to restaurants. Wherever I go, I read the guidebook on tipping customs. In much of Europe, service is included in the menu price or at least added to the check when you get it. If the service is decent, the custom is to round up the payment, and add in a little more to show extra appreciation. In Italy last fall I thought cab rides were very cheap by our standards, even in Rome. I'd throw in an extra euro or two, more if they handled our bags, and would in any event round up to €10. Drivers almost always acted surprised at the amount when I'd say "No change." Maybe that was an act. Perhaps the ones who didn't were afraid I didn't mean to tip that much and hoped I wouldn't notice until they drove away. In any event, we all seemed happy with the service and the transaction.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Upvote 0

gmon750

CR Pro
Jan 30, 2015
Luckily my Ikelite housing fits 5Diii/iv/SR so upgrading from iii to second hand iv meant I didn't need a new housing. That said, I will be moving to a new R5 Ikelite housing when it is available.
Touch screen is great especially for moving the focus point but no use underwater. The Ikelite housing doesn't support joystick movement so it will be interesting to see how tracking works without these 2 options. IBIS + IS stabilization will be very welcome!
Second hand housings aren't worth much though unfortunately :-(

I use an Aquatica 5D housing. I do know it will work with.a 5DM4, but I feel I've maxed-out the 5D model for the type of underwater photography I do. In addition to typical ocean photography, I do professional underwater modeling/portraits and many times I fill my 5D's buffer. A 5DM4 will provide a minor improvement, so I'm ready for something more robust.

The fact the R5 ditches touch-bar from the original R-body is a plus to me specifically because of underwater housings.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
In your case, if you're restricted by budget to a 2 zoom L lens solution, then it'll be based on the max focal length you need and get less expensive EF f/1.8 prime to adapt for portraits/indoors.

When Canon was running discounts on refurbs, I bought the 85mm f/1.8 for very little money. I have been very pleased with it. It is perfect for portraits. Tuesday I needed to shoot a video of myself to send to the church in my neighborhood for their pre-recorded service Sunday. (It will be Pentecost Sunday, so they wanted readings from Acts 2 in a variety of languages. My assignment was to read the original Greek. It was a fairly long passage with tongue twisters like αποφθέγγεσθαι.) I used the 85mm and auto camera settings. I was sitting in a chair by the window and had nice, soft, even light coming in from my right. I wore a bright red (for Pentecost) college sweatshirt. I knew the focal length would be flattering, but was afraid it might put the camera too far away for the audio, since I don't have an external mike. But both sound and picture turned out great. And of course intelligibility was not a big priority anyway.

For my T3i, I got the 50mm f/1.4 lens to do portraits. When I got the 6D2, I used the 100mm macro f/2.8. If anything, it looked a little too sharp, almost clinical. I like the 85mm portrait results much better. They still look sharp. And I have photographed plenty of people with the 24-105mm zoom with good results, just not as much selective focus. It probably would have worked for my video just as well, but I thought the f/1.8 would give the camera more options for auto exposure without my having to think through anything. After typing that, I realize that if I want to shoot with a 100mm lens, I have three options, the macro, the kit zoom, and the 100-400mm zoom, and the 85mm is pretty close, too. Different lenses for different uses.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
When Canon was running discounts on refurbs, I bought the 85mm f/1.8 for very little money. I have been very pleased with it. It is perfect for portraits. Tuesday I needed to shoot a video of myself to send to the church in my neighborhood for their pre-recorded service Sunday. (It will be Pentecost Sunday, so they wanted readings from Acts 2 in a variety of languages. My assignment was to read the original Greek. It was a fairly long passage with tongue twisters like αποφθέγγεσθαι.) I used the 85mm and auto camera settings. I was sitting in a chair by the window and had nice, soft, even light coming in from my right. I wore a bright red (for Pentecost) college sweatshirt. I knew the focal length would be flattering, but was afraid it might put the camera too far away for the audio, since I don't have an external mike. But both sound and picture turned out great. And of course intelligibility was not a big priority anyway.

For my T3i, I got the 50mm f/1.4 lens to do portraits. When I got the 6D2, I used the 100mm macro f/2.8. If anything, it looked a little too sharp, almost clinical. I like the 85mm portrait results much better. They still look sharp. And I have photographed plenty of people with the 24-105mm zoom with good results, just not as much selective focus. It probably would have worked for my video just as well, but I thought the f/1.8 would give the camera more options for auto exposure without my having to think through anything. After typing that, I realize that if I want to shoot with a 100mm lens, I have three options, the macro, the kit zoom, and the 100-400mm zoom, and the 85mm is pretty close, too. Different lenses for different uses.
It would be nice if you post a clip or at least a still grab!

Upvote 0
No matter what ANYONE says (be you a Sony, Fuji, Nikon, Pentax or Canon Fanboi or FanGirl!), this camera is gonna be GREAT!

Again, with its 30 fps 8K video, you have a 30 frames per second BURST RATE Stills Camera that takes 35 Megapixel Shots! How can ANYONE be railing against that sort of SHEER IMAGING POWER ???

It has DPAF. It's got some AWESOME high quality FAST GLASS and THE ONLY THING MISSING NOW is an f/4 to f/5.6 (or faster!) native Canon R-mount 150 to 650mm Sports Zoom Lens to make it PERFECT for sports/fast action/wildlife!

At $3949 US, we'll be buying them in bulk for our multi-location AV employees and I just might sneak-purchase an R5 for myself since I can't take our big MF babies home yet! While MANY are drooling for an upcoming ruggedized True Pro-level R1 mirrorless camera, that may take a while so the R5 might work just fine for now! Like I said when it's $3949 US you can't complain! The Sony A7r4 is dead in the water at that price! Even Canon is going to be surprised how many people are going to be buying this camera for the DPAF being available in 8K video modes so it can be used as a 35 megapixel, 30 fps burst rate stills camera! You can NOW IMAGINE at just how INSANELY GREAT the eventually coming R1 True Pro Mirrorless will be!

---

Anyways.... for your photo pleasures, take a gander below at what can be done with a $60 used Nokia Smartphone from 2014!

Soooooooo, IMAGINE what the Canon R5, a pro-level Canon R1 ....AND.... a 50.3 megapixel Large Sensor Global Shutter MF mirrorless camera can do ????

V

Attachments

• 001___The_Right_Flower_At_The_Right_Time.png
    001___The_Right_Flower_At_The_Right_Time.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 85
  • 002___Orange_Weeds.png
    002___Orange_Weeds.png
    4 MB · Views: 68
  • 003___Is_It_Purple_Or_Is_It_Violet.png
    003___Is_It_Purple_Or_Is_It_Violet.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 74
  • 004___Can_You_See_Every_Seed.png
    004___Can_You_See_Every_Seed.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 77
  • 005___Ants_in_Pink.png
    005___Ants_in_Pink.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 71
  • 006___In_Tones_Of_White_And_Lavender.png
    006___In_Tones_Of_White_And_Lavender.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 74
  • 007___Yellows_And_Whites.png
    007___Yellows_And_Whites.png
    2 MB · Views: 71
  • 008___How_Orange_Can_You_get.png
    008___How_Orange_Can_You_get.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 74
  • 009___What_Lives_In_Its_Mouth.png
    009___What_Lives_In_Its_Mouth.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 70
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
It would be nice if you post a clip or at least a still grab!

I'll spare you my stumbling through Koine Greek, so here is just a screen grab the video, compressed to a JPEG. I might post here or somewhere a link to the church's finished product for anybody who wants to see how they put all this together.

Screen-Shot-2020-05-27-at-12.04.41-PM.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
EF glass will still more than get the job done, I have bought one RF lens, the 24-105 f/4 as it was actually cheaper than the EF. Otherwise, I've been buying up EF L lenses. It's been said that the RF benefits are on the wide side, not the telephoto, based on the physics.

As far as battery life, the screen is what chews up battery life, just as it does if you are shooting in live mode, so I don't know that I would let battery life be a dealbreaker.

Upvote 0
There is enough evidence to support the idea that Canon do trans ocean shipments via shipping container. When the West coast ports had unloading issues/strikes there were shortages of Canon stock.

But by and large I love a quibble, well done Sir. :D
Let's hope that 6 week sea freight shipments will not delay the R5 deliveries then or perhaps mishaps like these 40 containers lost off the coast of Sydney. Rather than cameras on the beaches, they were PPE :-(
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05...-washes-ashore-from-apl-england-ship/12291416

Upvote 0
I use an Aquatica 5D housing. I do know it will work with.a 5DM4, but I feel I've maxed-out the 5D model for the type of underwater photography I do. In addition to typical ocean photography, I do professional underwater modeling/portraits and many times I fill my 5D's buffer. A 5DM4 will provide a minor improvement, so I'm ready for something more robust.

The fact the R5 ditches touch-bar from the original R-body is a plus to me specifically because of underwater housings.
Despite the constant message that the 5Div was a minor improvement, I was pleasantly surprised how much of a difference it made as an overall package... and for a relatively small changeover cost from a 5Diii to a second hand 5Div.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
I'll spare you my stumbling through Koine Greek, so here is just a screen grab the video, compressed to a JPEG. I might post here or somewhere a link to the church's finished product for anybody who wants to see how they put all this together.

View attachment 190639
Well done sir. Thank you.

Upvote 0