Canon EOS R5 launch price will be below $4000 USD [CR3]

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
What about the greater than 1/4000 shutter speeds?. I often am shooting 1/6000 or 1/8000 and bumping up the aperture to reduce the light. Are you just using ND filters on the lenses during bright conditions?
You should be good shooting in a bright day light conditions at ISO100, F2.8, T=1/3200s
At F1.4, T=1/12800s. Hence you would need a 2 stop ND filter even for a camera with 1/8000s max shutter speed.
A harsh daylight isn’t ideal from an artistic Perspective anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

You should be good shooting in a bright day light conditions at ISO100, F2.8, T=1/3200s
At F1.4, T=1/12800s. Hence you would need a 2 stop ND filter even for a camera with 1/8000s max shutter speed.

I am basing on f/1.8 where I have ran into issues. But even my f/2.8 300mm has hit 1/6000 at ISO 100. But regardless I was bringing it up as the only downside I see to the RP.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
We would be happy to no longer subsidise England, Its a big enough country that can surely stand on its own feet.

Never let facts get in the way of a boorish opinion.

It's clear you have an opinion on Scottish independence, which is fine, but as an individual, you are not privy to the thoughts and opinions of the populations of Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland. That's what the referendum established, showing a majority of Scottish people wanted to stay part of the UK.

As this is a Canon forum and not a medium for campaigning for Scottish independence, it may be better to post your opinions elsewhere and when and if a further referendum is called, vote as you see fit.

I look forward to your comments on all things Canon but hope not to see any further posts like these. There is far too much political commentary on this site as it is.

Cheers
Being English I don’t have a vote on if the Scottish will continue to live outside their means and be subsidized by the English.

I have thousands and thousands of posts here many with illustrative images taken specifically for the thread, I touch on ‘politics’ considerably less than 1% of the time and won’t apologize for doing so. Invariably if you look past the instinctive reaction to any comment I make you will see that I am just stating facts, but if you don’t like that or me then either don’t read my comments or block me, that is what the feature is there for.

To be sure I am not a political person, indeed I have a pretty low opinion of all politicians irrespective of their tribe, but I hate unanswered misdirection and untruths more.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I am basing on f/1.8 where I have ran into issues. But even my f/2.8 300mm has hit 1/6000 at ISO 100. But regardless I was bringing it up as the only downside I see to the RP.
Yup, a x4 (2 stop) ND filter is alway on me. I generally like stopping down to F4-8, so my 2 stop ND filter gets a regular action outside in bright light on 5d4’s

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
[/URL][/URL]

Never let facts get in the way of a boorish opinion.

Being English I don’t have a vote on if the Scottish will continue to live outside their means and be subsidized by the English.

I have thousands and thousands of posts here many with illustrative images taken specifically for the thread, I touch on ‘politics’ considerably less than 1% of the time and won’t apologize for doing so. Invariably if you look past the instinctive reaction to any comment I make you will see that I am just stating facts, but if you don’t like that or me then either don’t read my comments or block me, that is what the feature is there for.

To be sure I am not a political person, indeed I have a pretty low opinion of all politicians irrespective of their tribe, but I hate unanswered misdirection and untruths more.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
With respect, my reply was directly for Codebunny's comment, so not sure why you've taken exception to this??
I didn't take exception, I stated my opinion. I didn't take offense either because I very much respect the fact that you are entitled to your opinion, all is good.

I did assume you were including me because somebody else posted a similar comment about me the other day and Codebunny was replying to a comment of mine, I believe, which means I should carry the can for the direction it went.

But in general I agree, politics gets in the way of most things, mind you I believe we do a much better ob of keeping religion out of the threads so far... :)

Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020

1/8000th? I have never in 10yrs of shooting shot a single image at 1/8000. For the work I do when I want to shoot wide open or nearly wide open (models, fashion, portraits, etc.) I use an ND filter to get me down to 1/200 because I am almost always using a remote trigger and some kind of flash lighting setup. Everything I do in camera 90% of the time is to get me to 1/200 (raise ISO, add ND, open aperture, etc).

If I am shooting an outdoor event I'm typically shooting at 7.1 or higher to increase the focal plane and in those cases my shutter speed is hovering around 1/400 or 1/800. Even at 2.8 outdoors I don't think I've ever seen my shutter speed over 1/2000.

I'm curious what you are shooting where you have even hit 1/6000

Upvote 0

TAF

CR Pro
Feb 26, 2012
As an aside, consider the speed of the shutter curtain at 1/8000 of a second. The frame is 24mm high (call it 25mm for the edges), and the curtain transitions across is .000125 seconds. That translates into a velocity of 200,000 mm/sec = 200 m/sec = 447 mi/hr. At 1/16000, it would be supersonic. That's impressive engineering.

Impressive usually equals costly. So mirrorless should be less expensive. Perhaps the 5R will be less than the 5D4 at introduction?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

I'm curious what you are shooting where you have even hit 1/6000

A bird in a bright sky will put the shutter speed on a f/2.8 lens. Or take any f/1.2 - f/1.8 prime out in bright conditions. It of course pics up a lot on the shade and ideally we wont want to shoot right into bright sunlight. Millage may vary, I don't think I have many shots at 1/200.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

As an aside, consider the speed of the shutter curtain at 1/8000 of a second. The frame is 24mm high (call it 25mm for the edges), and the curtain transitions across is .000125 seconds. That translates into a velocity of 200,000 mm/sec = 200 m/sec = 447 mi/hr. At 1/16000, it would be supersonic. That's impressive engineering.

Impressive usually equals costly. So mirrorless should be less expensive. Perhaps the 5R will be less than the 5D4 at introduction?

I was curious about this and it seems some early DSLR's had this such as the Nikon D1 and original Canon 1D. I am prying a wee bit more to see why this feature didn't make it much further, perhaps it reduced shutter life span.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

I was curious about this and it seems some early DSLR's had this such as the Nikon D1 and original Canon 1D. I am prying a wee bit more to see why this feature didn't make it much further, perhaps it reduced shutter life span.
No the 1D and D1 were crop cameras so the frame wasn't 24mm high in the case of the 1D it was 19.1mm high.

Also the curtains don't have to travel that fast, or anywhere near it as the exposure is determined by the slit between the two curtains that travel at the same time, if you narrow the distance between the two curtains you shorten the exposure time even if the curtains travel at the same speed.

Oh and the 1D for sure used an electronic second curtain, or was it first curtain I forget, but either way it wasn't relying on the shutter curtain speed, don't forget the 1D was a CCD not a CMOS so fundamentally different and that is why it had a 1/500 sync speed too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
A bird in a bright sky will put the shutter speed on a f/2.8 lens. Or take any f/1.2 - f/1.8 prime out in bright conditions. It of course pics up a lot on the shade and ideally we wont want to shoot right into bright sunlight. Millage may vary, I don't think I have many shots at 1/200.

Truly not trying to be funny (I know nothing about birding) but why would you shoot wide open in that scenario? I would drop down to 7.1 or higher since its a moving object, and there isn't really a background to blur (if you are shooting into a background that bright). Personally I rarely shoot wide open to begin with, I typically stop down to 3.5 on a 2.8 lens to get everything tack sharp (most lenses are sharper stopped down and 3.5 on a longer lens like the 70-200mm still produces plenty of bokeh) and usually shoot wide open only in low light situations. I've also found that 3.5 on the 70-200mm at 1/200 with a 2 or 4 stop ND filter combined with a 600WS studio strobe is the perfect combination for sunset portrait shoots.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Truly not trying to be funny (I know nothing about birding) but why would you shoot wide open in that scenario? I would drop down to 7.1 or higher since its a moving object, and there isn't really a background to blur (if you are shooting into a background that bright). Personally I rarely shoot wide open to begin with, I typically stop down to 3.5 on a 2.8 lens to get everything tack sharp (most lenses are sharper stopped down and 3.5 on a longer lens like the 70-200mm still produces plenty of bokeh) and usually shoot wide open only in low light situations. I've also found that 3.5 on the 70-200mm at 1/200 with a 2 or 4 stop ND filter combined with a 600WS studio strobe is the perfect combination for sunset portrait shoots.

When it comes to my big lens I shoot it wide open because it almost always misses focus when stopped down. On my 50 and 85 these are both 1.8 and I like the look at 1.8. When I tired a 85 1.2 is was to shoot at 1.2, which was a challenge. But aye, I could see the 1/4000 being a issue with the RP, but a ND filter seems to be the answer or 'slow' glass such as f/4.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
When it comes to my big lens I shoot it wide open because it almost always misses focus when stopped down. On my 50 and 85 these are both 1.8 and I like the look at 1.8. When I tired a 85 1.2 is was to shoot at 1.2, which was a challenge. But aye, I could see the 1/4000 being a issue with the RP, but a ND filter seems to be the answer or 'slow' glass such as f/4.

Got it, an ND isn't a cure all either...you think you miss focus now...try adding an ND.

• Haha
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
“Missing” must be judged relative to one’s needs. For my purposes, the only thing missing from the Eos RP is GPS, and that’s easily enough fixed in the Lightroom Maps module. For me, the RP is a superb camera to take into the field and make research-grade macrophotos.

Indeed you are 100% correct. And in fact if the RP were missing anything I actually need rather than just consider a nice-to-have, I'd never give it any consideration. It's rep is an excellent camera for the price--not feature packed, but solid at doing the primary task of a camera. As such I'll consider it should the R5 end up being more expensive/less feature packed than currently expected. Missing a lot of nice-to-haves, but also missing a huge price. A worthwhile tradeoff, if the R5 features/price ratio turns out to be too low for my liking.

Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
I wrote: “‘Missing‘ must be judged relative to one’s needs. For my purposes, the only thing missing from the Eos RP is GPS, and that’s easily enough fixed in the Lightroom Maps module. For me, the RP is a superb camera to take into the field and make research-grade macrophotos.“
What about the greater than 1/4000 shutter speeds?. I often am shooting 1/6000 or 1/8000 and bumping up the aperture to reduce the light. Are you just using ND filters on the lenses during bright conditions?
You may have missed the parts that read For my purposes and For me. I haven’t experienced the need for exceptionally high shutter speeds thay you have experienced. I use diffusers in harsh sunlight when I can, try to keep the ISO down, try to shoot at ƒ11 or so. I made this photo in bright conditions at ƒ11 and 1/1000 sec @ ISO 400 and I’m happy with it. If I expect to need features that my RP doesn’t have, I use my 5D Mark IV or my 6D Mark II.

Last edited:
Upvote 0