Canon EOS R5 launch price will be below $4000 USD [CR3]

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
You should be good shooting in a bright day light conditions at ISO100, F2.8, T=1/3200s
At F1.4, T=1/12800s.
LOL! If you look at my avatar, you will see “Macrophotography.” I don’t require or purposely buy fast lenses. The EF180mm ƒ3.5L is more than fast enough, considering that I mostly use it between ƒ11 and ƒ32.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Eclipsed

EOS R5, "Hefty Fifty" and more.
Apr 30, 2020
Wow dude! D'you actually work for Canon? I'm trying to point out that the market changed dramatically, in order to sell the price has to be right. I'm not talking just about Canon. My kit ain't cheap bruv, I'm just not 100% convinced it's worth all that money. I know a lot of people who think the same way. DSLRs age very quickly, too quickly. It's not about how much you spend but what you get. Camera manufacturers want you to spend 4k+ for a semi-pro body every 4 years; roughly. And now change a system as well. Given the economy, the technology and, most of all, the way people consume photography 4k price tag dramatically limits your sales volume. Higher price will not make up for it. It's simple. If this continues the camera as we know it, DSLR, will extinct because of greed of the likes of Canon.

It should actually be well below 3k. Well below. Producing 7D, 7.5D, 6.25D etc will not help either.
That’s the quality of Economic analysis I expect from one who uses the term “bruv”.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
LOL! If you look at my avatar, you will see “Macrophotography.” I don’t require or purposely buy fast lenses. The EF180mm ƒ3.5L is more than fast enough, considering that I mostly use it between ƒ11 and ƒ32.
Hi David, thought that I was responding to Codebunny's post? He shoots BIF at F2.8 wide open as apparently he had a very limited luck Shooting stopped down due to sharpness loss. ( Focus shift???).
I have no doubt that you know your exposures well. Cheers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

I wrote: “‘Missing‘ must be judged relative to one’s needs. For my purposes, the only thing missing from the Eos RP is GPS, and that’s easily enough fixed in the Lightroom Maps module. For me, the RP is a superb camera to take into the field and make research-grade macrophotos.“

You may have missed the parts that read For my purposes and For me. I haven’t experienced the need for exceptionally high shutter speeds thay you have experienced. I use diffusers in harsh sunlight when I can, try to keep the ISO down, try to shoot at ƒ11 or so. I made this photo in bright conditions at ƒ11 and 1/1000 sec @ ISO 400 and I’m happy with it. If I expect to need features that my RP doesn’t have, I use my 5D Mark IV or my 6D Mark II.

I was discussing the max shutter speed as a general point and not specific to you. I am not on the bandwagon that believes the RP is useless. Having passed 1/4000 on many occasions, how that is dealt with was a curiosity. You don’t need to defend your camera.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Well, we'll see. It's obvious the R5 will have the raw processing power to handle complex AF situations, considering the fact it can handle 8K raw video. I think ultimately the 1Dx III will still be the tool for many working pro's in sports and news. For now. Also because the big agencies have tons and tons of EF glass. I also expect it to be the last OVF based 1DX. For me personally, the R5 seems like a match made in heaven; never expected Canon to do something like this.

I shoot commercial work and portraits, but also events and weddings. And wildlife. It's a one can do all. Apart from that I've also begun working on my video skills to add as service to clients, and that is something this camera can do pretty good too. Not of course as good as a C line camera, but good enough. My faith is large enough I've asked a retailer here to place a pre-pre-order and a custom quote for a couple of bodies and a bag of RF lenses :)

Exactly how many big agencies are left which issue a multitude of full-time staff photographers a full kit of gear instead of hiring freelancers who must provide their own gear and get paid pennies on the dollar?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Sounds like you're angry or something....?

I mean, why not just be happy for those that for the time being still can get a good deal?

Not angry at all. Just pointing out that you are in an ever increasing minority if you're still not having to pay sales tax for online purchases. Most of us in the U.S. now are being charged sales tax at places such as amazon, B&H, and Adorama.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
How about the RF 15-35 f2.8 on one body and the RF 70-135 f2 on the other? :unsure: It seems that if you like the 135 f1.8 then you'd love the 70-135 f2 even more.

I have similar interests, in that I'm buying all new Canon gear, so I'm thinking of 2 bodies and 3 lenses: RF 15-35 f2.8, RF 70-135 f2, and RF 100-500 f4.5-7.1. :D I'd really miss the RF 70-200 f2.8 as it's so compact and outstanding, but I don't see a compelling need for it if I do get the 3 lenses I mentioned. What do you think? :unsure:

Just because a zoom lens is capable of giving you f/2 at 135mm doesn't mean the images you get with it will be as "good" as the images you'll get with an "equivalent" prime lens. I have both the EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II and the EF 135mm f/2. One is a 2010 design that released at a price of $2,499, the other is a 1996 design that sold for $1,049 when it debuted. Even if I shoot the 135/2 in the same aperture range as the zoom can do, there's no comparison to the way the backgrounds look from both lenses. If I know I can get away with only 135mm, I'm grabbing the EF 135mm f/2 every single time.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I wonder if such cashback counts as taxable income.

The state of New York is currently in litigation going after B&H over not paying state sales tax on manufacturer "instant rebates." It's really, really murky, because Canon doesn't send B&H a check every time they sell a body with the promotion, they just give them credit towards their future wholesale purchases. The state says the rebate is income for B&H. B&H says it's not because they can only count the actual cost they pay for the replacement inventory as an expense, not what they would have had to pay without the rebate credits.

I can see a scenario where some states will start requiring credit card companies to start issuing form 1099s (or the state equivalent) to cardholders who get cash rewards from credit card companies.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
In general no, cash back (if it fits the IRS definition) is considered a discount not income, discounts are not taxable Income.

That all depends on if the purchase in question is a personal purchase or a business expense included on your Schedule C (or a business expense claimed by a corporation).

If you buy a camera for $1,999 and B&H charges you $1,999 + 159.92 sales tax = $2,158.92 and you count the $2,158.92 on the invoice from B&H as a business expense on your Schedule C, if the card account holder is a taxpayer included on the return that includes that Schedule C then the cash back from the credit card issuer is considered income.

If your private photography business is incorporated and you pay for the camera using a card issued to you personally, then you'd have to claim the cost of the purchase as an "employee business expense" on your personal return and the cash back as a "taxable employee benefit."

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Just because a zoom lens is capable of giving you f/2 at 135mm doesn't mean the images you get with it will be as "good" as the images you'll get with an "equivalent" prime lens. I have both the EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II and the EF 135mm f/2. One is a 2010 design that released at a price of $2,499, the other is a 1996 design that sold for $1,049 when it debuted. Even if I shoot the 135/2 in the same aperture range as the zoom can do, there's no comparison to the way the backgrounds look from both lenses. If I know I can get away with only 135mm, I'm grabbing the EF 135mm f/2 every single time.

100% agree, and while YMMV, my experience was that the zooms I could afford (including copies of the EF 70-200 L IS v. 1 and 2) simply didn't offer performance that justified their use. I now run with canon's EF 85 1.8 and EF 200 2.8. The image quality is much better.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
There's a retailer in Berlin (Foto Meter) showing the EOS R5 body this weekend. Unfortunately, there won't be a possibility to test the camera. But I'm surprised they're showing the body, since the official announcement didn't take place so far. I don't think there'll be many new informations and they won't know a price for sure (or they won't tell), but I'll have a look at the event tomorrow :) really excited nonetheless!

It will probably be under secure glass, just like it was at the conference Canon showed it at right before everything started shutting down.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
One extra battery in my pocket for insurance (not often needed in my kind of work) and I do just fine with my RP. In my experience, it outdoes the R in ergonomics and it makes quality pics.

Both the R and the RP have pluses and minuses that will vary from one user to the next based on what they want to do with them. I was merely pointing out one such consideration among many. There's no need for you to take it so personally that the camera you didn't choose for your situation might have an advantage for someone else over the camera you did choose. And they both are perfectly capable of being used to take quality pictures.

Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2016
Exactly how many big agencies are left which issue a multitude full-time staff photographers a full kit of gear instead of hiring freelancers who must provide their own gear and get paid pennies on the dollar?
There’s still some over here, like ANP (they chose Canon). But yes, most photo journalists and documentary shooters are freelancers now and get paid crap, true.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Especially in the spring and fall. Because of the collision of continents that caused our former east coast to become mountains and left bits and pieces of other continents, there are areas with more kinds of minerals and gemstones than most other places on earth. The big gold rush before 1849 was just east of here. There are former gold mines under downtown Charlotte. They still could be mined, but the gold available is worth less than the real estate above it.

About ten miles east of where I grew up was the largest lithium mine in the world for some years. There are places in the mountains with a large variety of gem stones.

If you dive to our continental shelf, you will find artifacts including arrowheads from the time when sea levels were much lower.

It sounds like you're from the Piedmont area.

I have ancestors that fought at the Battle of Kings Mountain. Their families had already migrated west over the Blue Ridge mountains by the turn of the 19th century. One of my brothers-in-law spent his high school years in Shelby. His father was an industrial engineer in the textiles industry and they moved around North & South Carolina a lot in the '60s and '70s. I've also got a good childhood friend who married a girl from Gastonia and they've lived there for about the past thirty years after we went to college in Nashville and grad school in Kansas City together. Back in the '90s I worked for a transportation company based in Fletcher, NC about ten miles south of Asheville and travelled extensively all over the Carolinas, but particularly in the areas surrounding Asheville, north and east of Rocky Mount, and Sumter. We also had a large customer base in NW South Carolina in all of those small towns that seemed to have a roller bearing or other kind of fine machining operation, from Cowpens, Fountain Inn, Belton, Honea Path, and Anderson all the way up into the foothills at Easley and Pickens.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Yes I used to do that with my 7D2. Was great until I wanted to use the OVF instead - I had a flip version which was a mixed experience, sometimes worked very well, other times Id get a dent in my head when I forgot it was there.

I think at least one person in the conversation at the thread I linked above said they found one that flipped out of the way in a direction so they could use the OVF without having to remove the whole thing.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I was stationed at MCAS Cherry Point years ago. I was also there in the mid 1960s when my Dad was stationed there. Beautiful state!

One of my high school bandmates was in the 2nd Marine Division Band at LeJeune for six years in the mid-1980s.

• Love
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Well, I didn't want to imply that the the RF 70-135 f2 image would be "as good" as your EF 135 f2 prime, as I wouldn't have any way to know that either way. :sneaky: But the reason I like zooms is that in addition to moving around, I can vary the zoom to the focal length I like to frame that particular picture. I also use the zoom to cover a wide range of focal distances so that I can leave a single lens on the body and not have to change lenses often, and I often walk around with just one camera and lens.

I'm not a professional, and I'm not against adding a prime to my zooms. I do consider getting the RF 85mm f1.2 DS (or possibly without DS) to be my "portrait" lens instead of the RF 70-135 f2. If I did that and also got a future RF 135 prime then I would assume I would get far better portraits that way. If I take a camera backpack I could consider that with a second body so I could still minimize lens changes. :sneaky:

My additional question was: if I have the RF 70-135 f2 and RF 100-500 f4.5-7.1, then would there be any major benefit to also getting the RF 70-200 f2.8 or not? I know if I ask 5 people this, I'll probably get 7 different opinions. I'm just trying to decide how best to spend my limited amount of money. :unsure:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
My father was called back into the Marines during the Korean War and was at Camp Lejeune, not quite so far out as Cherry Point. He got home every other weekend, carpooling with guys who lived west of us. He never left NC, but trained troops to go to Korea. I was 4 years old. I have letters he sent to Mother discussing what for him to get me for my fifth birthday.

My Dad's oldest brother was in the Marines from 1943 until 1973 and spent most of his time after Korea at LeJeune when he was stateside. He was in artillery from shortly after Korea until he let them make him a Lieutenant two or three years before he retired. They had some kind of program where they sent senior NCOs to OCS because so many young Marine officers were getting chewed up in Vietnam. He saw no combat in WWII (by the end he was in a unit that would have been part of an invasion of mainland Japan). But he was at both Inchon and Chosin in Korea with the 1st Div. and then did three tours in Vietnam with the 2nd Div.

Upvote 0