Canon EOS R5 pricing is still unknown, don’t believe the reports [CR0]

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
The argument is good though. If the R5 could read and downscale the entire sensor 120 times per second, it would have 8K RAW 120p mode. Since it doesn't, 4K 120p can't be based on the full sensor resolution. So it's skipped, cropped or binned.

The sensor might able to handle it, but can the DIGIC X handle it? We can't know where the bottleneck is before we see different DIGIC/sensor combinations.
Personally, I think it's likely that the the full sensor readout tops out at 60-ish fps, but it could very well be able to do 90fps and the DIGIC X tops out at 70fps. Or the reverse.

That's less speculation than simply a fact. [..]

Since we can't actually verify it, it's not a fact.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
I love reading the comments that go into massive technical detail and how everyone has a different perspective. It's so impressive how much knowledge is out there. Most of it is way outside my own knowledge base. I just take pictures end of. :) I'm a simple guy and if it does what it says on the tin, great, if it doesn't and I don't need it, I dont care but if I need that feature then I'll find something that does it. Simples.

It gives me a headache if I speculate too much. Hopefully all will be announced soon so why worry now lol.

Keep up the chat's as some of it is really interesting.

Cheers

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koch1948

EOS-1D X Mark III
Oct 8, 2019
In today's economic and limited production climate, I speculate that a marketing department might offer a new camera product for sale only with the addition of a kit lens. Furthermore, the kit might also include a card and card reader. Therefore, a rumored price may sound inflated, but it may not reflect the camera body only price. At a later date, when the manufacturer can meet the production quantity demands, they could always come back and offer the camera for sale as a camera body.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
In today's economic and limited production climate, I speculate that a marketing department might offer a new camera product for sale only with the addition of a kit lens. Furthermore, the kit might also include a card and card reader. Therefore, a rumored price may sound inflated, but it may not reflect the camera body only price. At a later date, when the manufacturer can meet the production quantity demands, they could always come back and offer the camera for sale as a camera body.

That wouldn't offend me too much as I was planning to purchase with the 24-105 L. Of course, that attitude changes if that's not one of the available kits any more!

And of course the card and card reader sound like the CompactFlash type, not the SD type (who needs a reader for an SD card?). THAT I could skip, for now.

Upvote 0

koch1948

EOS-1D X Mark III
Oct 8, 2019
That wouldn't offend me too much as I was planning to purchase with the 24-105 L. Of course, that attitude changes if that's not one of the available kits any more!

And of course the card and card reader sound like the CompactFlash type, not the SD type (who needs a reader for an SD card?). THAT I could skip, for now.
I meant to say a CFExpress card which is new, and not many people have it yet.

Upvote 0

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
Interesting thoughts, but to my mind that seems backwards. Because of today's economic climate, why would they limit sales to a more expensive kit option? I'm curious on the reasoning behind that idea.

Of course, I won't speak for others, but I only need the body at the moment. Sure I'll eventually pick up RF glass, but for the time being I'll continue with the lenses already in my bag.

Upvote 0
I predicted in another thread months ago the R5 would likely be 4299.00 body only; and 4999.00 with the 24-105 f/4 IS USM kit lens....I still think I'm close (all speculation of course). This price range is a step above the R and 5D4 yet below the 1DXiii.
Canon could probably set it at 4999.00 body only and probably sell a boat load of them knowing most will likely shoot EF lenses on it and slowly merge into the RF Lens line....where the big money for them is.
We will see..... ;)

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA

I'd be surprised if they initially only sold the body as part of a kit. How often has this ever happened with the introduction of high-end bodies? (I'm guessing not often, but I'm not 100% sure). I'd probably be OK if it happened and the ket lens was the 24-105 f4 and there was a discount price for the kit vs getting them separately.

But I'd rather they offer the kit and also offer the body alone. :)

What I'd *really* like is if they offered a discount %(eg: 10%) on any single RF lens if you order it with a new R5 body. :geek:

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[..]What I'd *really* like is if they offered a discount %(eg: 10%) on any single RF lens if you order it with a new R5 body. :geek:

Canon already does that. Their 'virtual' kit promotion is pretty much year round, you just need to buy a camera and lens less than 90 days apart. Here's the RF50 deal, €250 cashback on the €2299 price, so a 10.9% discount.

Schermafbeelding 2020-05-23 om 08.25.02.png

The virtual kit promo is very slow to update, though, the RP became eligible months after I bought it. The R5 might become eligible a lot quicker being a flagship and all.

• Love
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

Feb 13, 2020
I'd be surprised if they initially only sold the body as part of a kit. How often has this ever happened with the introduction of high-end bodies? (I'm guessing not often, but I'm not 100% sure). I'd probably be OK if it happened and the ket lens was the 24-105 f4 and there was a discount price for the kit vs getting them separately.

But I'd rather they offer the kit and also offer the body alone. :)

What I'd *really* like is if they offered a discount %(eg: 10%) on any single RF lens if you order it with a new R5 body. :geek:
From reading previous threads, several contributors, including myself purchased RF glass (RF70-200MM) in April to take advantage of the Canon Lens reward, so as long as the R5 is announced and ordered before 21/07/20 that should be £255 winging it's way back. That's well over 10% discount plus the sale price reduction of the lens. The lens reward is now permanent so great news!
Only selling as a Kit is unusual, especially as this is billed as a Pro body. Im sure most Pro's and amateurs who can afford this have many existing lenses and like them, if it was only sold with the 24-105f4L, I already have that lens so it would probably mean I wouldn't buy and would wait until and if it is sold as body only.
I'm not quite sure Canon would want to restrict their potential buyers like that. But what do I know, stranger things have happened.

• Love
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Canon already does that. Their 'virtual' kit promotion is pretty much year round, you just need to buy a camera and lens less than 90 days apart. Here's the RF50 deal, €250 cashback on the €2299 price, so a 10.9% discount.

View attachment 190553

The virtual kit promo is very slow to update, though, the RP became eligible months after I bought it. The R5 might become eligible a lot quicker being a flagship and all.

That's common in certain markets, like Europe. It's much less common in other markets, such as the U.S. Only on a very odd occasion does Canon offer rebates based on purchase of two different products in the U.S. When they do, 9 out of 10 times one of those products has to be a pro grade printer.

• Sad
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
That's common in certain markets, like Europe. It's much less common in other markets, such as the U.S. Only on a very odd occasion does Canon offer rebates based on purchase of two different products in the U.S. When they do, 9 out of 10 times one of those products has to be a pro grade printer.
Since I'm in the US, does this mean there's almost *NO* chance that there would be a "Virtual Kit / Lense Reward" program for the R5 within the first 6 or so months from launch? :unsure: It would be important to know either way, so I can plan my purchase(s) accordingly.

Also, if this plan was available, can you buy your lenses before and after the body purchase (as long as you're within their time restriction)? :unsure:

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

Feb 13, 2020
Since I'm in the US, does this mean there's almost *NO* chance that there would be a "Virtual Kit / Lense Reward" program for the R5 within the first 6 or so months from launch? :unsure: It would be important to know either way, so I can plan my purchase(s) accordingly.

Also, if this plan was available, can you buy your lenses before and after the body purchase (as long as you're within their time restriction)? :unsure:
My understanding, is that it doesn't matter what order the purchase is made as long as the 2nd purchase is within 90 days of the 1st and the claim for the reward is submitted within 30 days after the 2nd purchase. However, this info was on the Canon UK website and the bad news, is it says the promotion is via Canon Europe so not sure if it is available in the USA. Sorry:cry:

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

Yes. No chance. I can’t recall Canon ever offering a rebate within the first six months of release. Canon does sometimes offer rebates that are “stacked” so that the more items on the rebate that you buy the better the rebate. But I haven’t seen one for a few years. If they do, all the purchases have to be on the same receipt.
With the anticipated demand and supply chain disruptions I would not expect any bargains for a year.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Yes. No chance. I can’t recall Canon ever offering a rebate within the first six months of release. Canon does sometimes offer rebates that are “stacked” so that the more items on the rebate that you buy the better the rebate. But I haven’t seen one for a few years. If they do, all the purchases have to be on the same receipt.
With the anticipated demand and supply chain disruptions I would not expect any bargains for a year.
The best possible early bargains would be Street Prices from unadvertised Dealers through Canon Price Watch with Gordon. Only way to skirt MAP.

Upvote 0
I predicted in a previous thread the price would be over $5K and I still believe that is going to be true. I got totally roasted for it. This camera could be the greatest thing since sliced bread but I still believe Canon will overprice the body. The cost of RF lenses are already proof of that. Mirrorless tech is still evolving and this camera will most likely bested by a cheaper alternative sooner than later. As I said before, If I need a new body, I'll snatch one of these from the bargain bin probably at a 50% discount or more.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I predicted in a previous thread the price would be over $5K and I still believe that is going to be true. I got totally roasted for it. This camera could be the greatest thing since sliced bread but I still believe Canon will overprice the body. The cost of RF lenses are already proof of that. Mirrorless tech is still evolving and this camera will most likely bested by a cheaper alternative sooner than later. As I said before, If I need a new body, I'll snatch one of these from the bargain bin probably at a 50% discount or more.
Guess what? You are going to get totally roasted in this thread as well. :)

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0