Canon EOS R5 Specifications

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
I know.

I don't consider it art unless you start with nothing, like the composer and a blank sheet of music, a sculptor with a block of marble, a painter with a blank canvas, or a sculptor with a lump of clay. Using technology to record what's already there is a skill or craft, not an art. It's the difference between the composer of a piece of music and the audio technician who records the performance in the studio. The audio technician isn't an artist. He has to have skill and that skill matters a lot for the final result, I just wouldn't call it art because it's not being created from nothing, just recorded. Like photography.

This is a really bad take. Art is expression, it's about the emotion it tries to evoke from its audience. There are sculptors who work with junk and other finished goods, not just clay or stone. There is a subset of photography and sound that attempts to accurately reproduce what is seen/heard and nothing more, but in both areas you have many examples of artists who add interpretation, which affects the emotional impact. For example, Steve Albini on the production front; his production techniques are instantly recognizable. Ansel Adams was essentially a landscape painter that used a camera and darkroom instead of a brush. It's just bizarre to be so focused on the equipment that one does nit understand what is being done with it.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
45 MP is no longer considered "high-res", though, so I'm guessing that any "R5s" camera will be that ~80 (??) MP sensor people were rumoring.

45 MP is the new "normal", especially since Canon continues to perfect their mRAW technology.

(Although, I'm still waiting for lossy compression and 12-bit options, though, for truly high-volume work, like action sports or weddings.Those are much better solutions than 1/2 megapixel mRAW with 14-bit lossless compression that simply doesn't save the same %% in file size as it compromises in resolution...)

Haven't you been paying attention lately? The latest cameras with .CR3 raw files do not have M-RAW or S-RAW. They do have C-RAW (compressed raw).

Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
If you build everything in the scene, that's art. If there's a person in it (or a plant, or other naturally-occurring object), then it's not, it's craft, skill and technique, like an audio recording technician who creates the acoustics of the room, selects the microphones and their locations, arranges the levels, equalization and effects, records and later mixes the sound. That's a highly-skilled task, but it's not art by my definition.

From wikipedia:

"The three classical branches of art are painting, sculpture and architecture.[3] Music, theatre, film, dance, and other performing arts, as well as literature and other media such as interactive media, are included in a broader definition of the arts.[1][4] Until the 17th century, art referred to any skill or mastery and was not differentiated from crafts or sciences. In modern usage after the 17th century, where aesthetic considerations are paramount, the fine arts are separated and distinguished from acquired skills in general, such as the decorative or applied arts. "

Take a look at this list:

• Visual arts
    • Two-dimensional works
      • Painting and drawing
      • Mosaics
      • Printmaking
      • Calligraphy
      • Photography
    • Three-dimensional works
      • Architecture
      • Pottery
      • Sculpture
      • Conceptual art
  • Poetry
  • Music
I think it's interesting that all those start with nothing, except photography. Photography starts with some sort of scene. If you create the scene, that's art. If you don't, it's not, at least to me.

So because Ansel Adams didn't create Yosemite, he's not an artist? And people who paint landscapes - even interpreted, or with techniques like pointillism - aren't either?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Hi!
That price range for the Europe price hit me hard. I Hope you are wrong!
I cannot even hope to get one cheaper via UK grey importers since after Brexit there will be taxes for the rest of the Europe...
Don't worry, that's just another of this Brexit lies. At least until the end of 2020 everything will stay the same (OK, some people are kicked out off the EU parliament), but the UK will trade, travel and pay with Europe like before. If grey imports are a good solution is another topic.
BTW: I don't believe these specifications until Canon confirms them.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Unless someone on Canon got sacked and a new managing guy took over it and change all Canon's ideas of what a great camera should have for specs, i'm 110% sure those specs won't happen in the next 4 years. They only started doing 4K on their cameras 1yr ago, do you have any idea how long its going to take for them to add 8K???? not to mention there isn't technology available to do that on a mirrorless camera yet.
Canon clearly made a decision not to rush its new mirrorless technology to market. It looks like it's getting ready to roll out what it has been working on for quite a while now. At this point, I don't think what Canon has put on the market over the last few years gives much of a clue as to what Canon can and will do next. It's been a while, but this wouldn't be the first time that Canon changed the name of the game very quickly.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Better image quality than a 5DSR, 12 FPS, and possibly the best video specs ever seen in a sub $50k camera and people still find stuff to complain about. I’m the first one to gripe when I think Canon is slacking but if these specs are correct this is going to be an insanely good camera. Can’t wait to see the official release.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2017
I shoot writing to 2 x 128Gb cards Simultaneously. That’s what the second card slot is for.

That you. Some use 2x128GB for total 256GB. Not everyone same.

If it is true and it is really officially announced before CP+ (Feb 27th), then many 1DX3 pre-orders would be cancelled or returned:

Why? 1DX3 have many important pro features not in 5D/R5.

I don't believe in all these unintended leakages. I'm convinced this is all part of an orchestrated information theater. Anyway, it doesn't really matter. We get some early information, the opportunity to let off steam, and plenty of entertainment. ;)

+1, good leaking important marketing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
If this is true, especially the MP and IBIS this will be my next camera. Been many years as my last one was the 7D.
This hopefully will have IBIS work with manual lenses as well because I will be using all my old FD, FL and R lenses with this camera. No they are not modern state of the art and for detailed landscapes not ideal but the FL 55 mm f1.2 I want to bring back to life in the digital era among other lenses. :) :) :) :)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Same here. Everyone I've heard from who owns and regularly uses a DX2 does NOT want a smaller/thinner/more compact body. Weight balancing against larger glass is one of the DX lines BEST features. If/When the 1DX line goes MILC, then I'm betting Canon is going to keep the body almost exactly like it is and just (more or less) remove the mirror, pentaprism, and push the sensor forward in the body towards the flange to get the proper RF distance. Or (the CRAZY-TOWN version) puts a sensor on a rail that can slide it back and forth into position for both EF and RF glass and have interchangeable mounts. Bat-Poop crazy but hey, that is the sort of cool stuff Canon would come up with.

And they say Canon cannot innovate. Again, just like the EF system was late to the AF dance it showed up like the Princess that showed up after all were there and stopped the show. Well Canon seems to do this and this looks like another show stopper and what is to come. For older people the F-1 system was similar in advancement over the old F but it was unable to dominate as the EF did and crushed the competition for 30+ years.

Upvote 0
I didn't miss anything, I saw the CR3. A rumor site declaring something "fact" doesn't make it so, of course.

There's simply no way a 5-series camera has 8K raw video. (it would have to be relatively un-cropped to be 8K on a 45 MP sensor, BTW) At most, I'd maybe believe 4K 30p RAW, in a cropped 1:1 pixel mode, MAYBE.

There's simply no way that 4K 120p is full-sensor. I'd believe 4K 30p full-sensor, like I said, or 60p/120p in a cropped mode.

The fishy part is that they're pairing such insane specs with a random footnote like "no touch bar", and an odd, vague detail about the battery. this just reeks of someone sitting down and writing a few random things they hope will happen.

Legit leaks usually come out one or two pieces at a time, and don't talk about minor ergonomic changes at the same time as they rattle off attention-grabbing specs.

But hey, if I'm wrong, then yay, Canon will have a total lock-down of the video market, and a lock-down of the stills market too if the dynamic range is anything close to a Nikon Z7 or Sony A7R3-4...
I don’t care about 8K raw, as long as the rest of the rumor is true.

Upvote 0
I was thinking $3k to $3.5K. Starting to wonder if this will be priced like the 5Dc was.

Yeah I was thinking right in the middle of that range...It's not going to be the 1D R equivalent so you would think below $5K, and I can't picture them putting this out at $4K because then you'd have a chasm between the original R and this for price.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
This is a really bad take. Art is expression, it's about the emotion it tries to evoke from its audience. There are sculptors who work with junk and other finished goods, not just clay or stone. There is a subset of photography and sound that attempts to accurately reproduce what is seen/heard and nothing more, but in both areas you have many examples of artists who add interpretation, which affects the emotional impact. For example, Steve Albini on the production front; his production techniques are instantly recognizable. Ansel Adams was essentially a landscape painter that used a camera and darkroom instead of a brush. It's just bizarre to be so focused on the equipment that one does nit understand what is being done with it.

It's not music unless you first build the piano.

• Haha
Upvote 0

reefroamer

CR Pro
Jun 21, 2014
Or the rumor came straight from Canon through a couple of layers of misdirection. The only Item I question is the delivery date. The 1DX III was in DPR's hands weeks before the announcement and the availability date was very quick, particularly for a 1 series. It makes no sense that they would put a 6 month delay in a 5 series camera unless they have a hell of a lot of inventory to flush at bargain prices in the meantime.
Not a good idea to give your competition six months to react. That’s why it is rarely done. Canon doesn’t much issue product road maps, likely to avoid tipping the competition, so I can’t really imagine them giving six months warning on this.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0