Canon EOS R5 Specifications

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Yeah I was thinking right in the middle of that range...It's not going to be the 1D R equivalent so you would think below $5K, and I can't picture them putting this out at $4K because then you'd have a chasm between the original R and this for price.
Correct the original EOS R with a very nice 30Mpixel sensor although not respected much is not irrelevant.
It can do low light, landscape, travel photo and has room for cropping if required. I wouldn't sell it for less than 1.5K euros to get a 4K euro camera which - since I do not care for video - is not 3 - not even 2 - times better!

But let's have the camera available first and worry for the price afterwards! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
"Although we have launched two full-frame mirrorless cameras as well as ten dedicated lenses, our lineup is still insufficient. In order to recover from our late entry into the mirrorless camera market, we have plans to launch a model that incorporates a newly developed image sensor and image-processing engine that offer even more advanced features. We will work to raise our presence in the mirrorless camera category, leveraging large trade exhibitions around the world. Even amid increasing competition, we will expand sales of higher-end models driven by new products and aim for top market share even in the mirrorless camera market."

From canon press conference today

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Hi!

Don't worry, that's just another of this Brexit lies. At least until the end of 2020 everything will stay the same (OK, some people are kicked out off the EU parliament), but the UK will trade, travel and pay with Europe like before. If grey imports are a good solution is another topic.
BTW: I don't believe these specifications until Canon confirms them.
I agree on this.

Regarding grey import this is an excellent solution for me. I will not advertise anyone but I have a specific seller who - once I had the impression that my EOS5DMkIV had an issue because I pushed it probably illogically hard on shadows - sent UPS at home, took my 5DIV and 2 weeks later delivered another! So I trust them 100% And the prices are very good. I am their loyal customer since 2013.

Upvote 0
errr you dont remember the EOS 5D MKII?
Yes I do, still no massive things... we all know canon always been super protective or their video cameras and they never wanted to canibalize their own products...

I really don't think those specs are remotely truth, specially after the recent release of the new 1dx mK iii that is not even close to those specs...

Although I really wish those Rumors were truth, as I'm currently on the market for a new camera, and video is my priority, so I'm seriously considering parting ways with my canon 50D and lenses to the Sony family... but I'm really sad about it as I've always been a canon only guy, from my point and shoot, to my first DSLR to my 30d then my 50d... Canon always been in my life...

Upvote 0

pedroesteban

CR Pro
Apr 12, 2012
"Although we have launched two full-frame mirrorless cameras as well as ten dedicated lenses, our lineup is still insufficient. In order to recover from our late entry into the mirrorless camera market, we have plans to launch a model that incorporates a newly developed image sensor and image-processing engine that offer even more advanced features. We will work to raise our presence in the mirrorless camera category, leveraging large trade exhibitions around the world. Even amid increasing competition, we will expand sales of higher-end models driven by new products and aim for top market share even in the mirrorless camera market."

Complete transcript available here: https://global.canon/en/ir/conference/pdf/conf2019e-note.pdf
See pages 13 and 14 for info on cameras.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
Same shape as the 5D4 battery. I believe we're talking about the battery there.

Mechanical = the shutter (mirrorless rigs still have those). A mechanical shutter like we have in just about every ILC is (generally) preferable, but eventually it will rate-limit the fps, so an e-shutter opens up the door for higher framerates.

- A
Thanks for the explanation on the sutter. I do see now that they corected the "same shape" to note it referes to the battery and not the camera body. However, Canon could have used the same body (the 5D for that matter) for their mirrorless cameras, it only needs the new mount and to move the sensor fowrawd leaving the room for the IBIS behind it. The DSLR's argonomics is almost perfect.

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan

In other words, "We're just getting started!" :D

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2017
Yes I do, still no massive things... we all know canon always been super protective or their video cameras and they never wanted to canibalize their own products...

You wrong. 5D Mark II invent new market. First Canon video DSLR. No C-series. Only handycam. 5D Mark II was revolution camera. Canon goal R5 also revolution camera. R5 new benchmark. Nobody want Sony/Nikon for video if this R5 exist, everyone want Canon.

Upvote 0
This is a really bad take. Art is expression, it's about the emotion it tries to evoke from its audience. There are sculptors who work with junk and other finished goods, not just clay or stone. There is a subset of photography and sound that attempts to accurately reproduce what is seen/heard and nothing more, but in both areas you have many examples of artists who add interpretation, which affects the emotional impact. For example, Steve Albini on the production front; his production techniques are instantly recognizable. Ansel Adams was essentially a landscape painter that used a camera and darkroom instead of a brush. It's just bizarre to be so focused on the equipment that one does nit understand what is being done with it.
I totally agree with you and you are touching on some big themes there. For some, photography is purely a mechanism of recording. However, there is always a degree of interpretation...after all we are capturing a 2 dimensional representation of a 3D world. Hence the phrase "all photography is a lie". For some, a camera is a service, for some a device, or others a curiosity, for others an art.
I can order a coffee from McDonalds or from my local art Barista...both contain the same elements and the same materials. However...they have an entirely different emotional impact on me.

A long while ago I went through the whole purist phase...no filters...just the camera and lens...minimal editing etc. It was a nice discipline but ultimately a flawed thought process. The Sensor has an IR filter placed over it to make the images more palatable. The lens has coatings that effect the colour response. The camera has a codec that interpret the colours (to give that Canon look). So it's all open for adjustment, tweaking, interpreting and choice. There is no right and wrong, only guides, narrative and impact. A photo could win 1st place using the WCPF judging rules (a 20 point system) and yet be utterly boring and have zero impact on the viewer. Or a photo could have blown highlights, lowlights, wonky horizons...no glint in a eye...symmetrical framing etc etc and yet be utterly enthralling.
Some photographers worry about settings and dials, others worry about light, others worry about narrative, others worry about atmosphere and ambiance. Neither is wrong or right.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Never, until they come up with a true upgrade or my needs drastically change from now.

In 2016 I upgraded from a full-frame 5D to the crop 7DII, and that was a great choice for me. My lens kit is now built around that camera, and four of my lenses are crop-lenses.
Better buy a few spare 7D2 s for your old age.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
That's incorrect and things are more complicated. There's well capacity factor and it contributes to the DR.

And the smaller the photosite, the lower the read noise.

And well capacity depends on the pixel size, although there are methods to improve it on smaller pixels. More on this you can find in this good article https://clarkvision.com/articles/does.pixel.size.matter/#sensorconstant

That article can be safely ignored because it's full of wrong information.

Ask yourself this question. How can a Powershot S120, with teeny tiny pixels, have 11.7 stops of DR:

and the 1Dx with huge pixels have 11.2 stops:

if pixel size were a major driving factor?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mark D5 TEAM II

Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
Mar 5, 2013
Tleilax, Thalim Star System
Regarding Craig's latest update to the specs (removing RAW from 8K30), isn't the sensor pixels (8192x5460=~44.7MP) already being read at least 30 times a second to feed the EVF? Why do some people assume the 8K is a time-lapse, which involves more processing?

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
What do You mean “unusable”??? What else You want in EVF to be “usable”?

Not too bright in dark environments, not too dim in bright environments, not laggy, not blurry when panning, doesn't slow down or get noisy in dark conditions, doesn't crush blacks, doesn't blowout whites, doesn't suck power like crazy.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
I won't argue your opinion is wrong as long as you're also fine with others seeing things as art that you don't.

But I'm curious about a thing. You said logic plays a big role in how your opinion is formed. And that art is the act or product of taking something, which has a shape or character that you consider 'nothing' (Like a blob of paint or lump of clay) and giving it a shape and character that you came up with. That's how I understand your position.

If that is correct, it is incomplete, as it doesn't exclude things like the dishes in my kitchen or the chairs in my living room from being art.

Just because all art forms accepted (except photography) can start from nothing doesn't mean that everything that is started from nothing is art. Assuming so would be a logical fallacy. Art also has to have a creative element and be aesthetically pleasing to at least some people (most art is aesthetically pleasing to a small fraction of the population).

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016

Maybe 8K raw is true after all? Sony A7S MK who?

Upvote 0