Canon EOS R5 Specifications

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
Yeah, and that's why I'm not buying it. Sounds like wishful thinking.

Personally, I loved the touchbar, and I'm even more excited about the 1DX3's touch-sensitive AF point control stick. I loved the EOS R touchbar ever since I saw it at the press release and realized I could use it to directly control Kelvin WB, (wedding photographer) ...and I really liked the 1DX3's AF point joystick at CES earlier this month.

Time will tell, but I still think it's very odd that these are the specs that were leaked. Seems like a suspicious assortment of "facts"...
I think you are more likely to see the joy stick with touch introduced on the 1dx II.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
Is the person behind SonyAlphaRumors ghost-writing a CR post? This has got to be a contender for the biggest load of "wishful thinking rumor" I've ever read.

The more shocking thing is that half the commenters here aren't even questioning it. Did it not raise any eyebrows that the rumor has a bunch of insane specs, paired with something as silly and minor as "no touch bar"? Red flag!

Speaking of "red", ...you do realize that 8K RAW is usually reserved for $15-30K cameras, right?
Other than 8k video, these all look like incremental upgrades to the 5d line but in a mirrorless body. I would expect there to be a R5 and 5D of somewhat equal specs. But even the 8k video, they can surely put it in and cripple it enough that video people will still want a C line camera.... that or it being poor in practice given CFE cards at the required capacity would be prohibitively expensive.

Even IF you write off the 8K as a mistranslation, the base specs still are in wishful thinking territory. 45 @ 20fps? Even with no mechanical shutter, or no AF, that is still more data than any other camera moves around. That's not incremental.

"R5" - 45x20 = 900mp/s
A74 - 60x10 = 600
A92 - 24x20 = 480
1D3 - 20x20 = 400
Z70 - 45x9 = 405

What are Leicas pushing? Is there a higher throughput camera on the market than the A74?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
I believe this rumor is true. Didn’t Canon announce a while back ago that they would step up their game? It seems obvious that Canon has to do something aggressive to gain a larger portion of the higher end mirrorless market. Sony has gained a stronger position in that market than Canon can be comfortable with.

I am very curious to see the design, the ergonomics and button layout. I hope And believe they adapt many of the 5D series solutions. I really hope they add that new AF optical AF point selector on a AF back button, as seen on the 1DXIII.

Another major challenge I wonder if Canon has solved, is the somewhat laggy response the R suffers from. By that I mean the R doesn’t really respond very fast when you press the shutter. It seems that the camera need a little time to fine tune it’s focus before it release the shutter. Don’t get me wrong, that is a good priority on Canon’s side, but it makes the shooting experience less satisfying. Pick up a 1DX and hit the shutter, compare to the R, and you will understand what I mean.

I have little doubt it will have two card slots. It will be interesting to see how they have improved the sensor performance.

I hope Canon does not prioritize spec over performance and reliability. I picked up a 90d to test and found that it struggled with AF burst shooting. The AF would lock and pretty fast, but wander as the burst hit 7-8 shots. I also saw this on shorter burts, but it ws most prevalent when you got up to around 7-8 shots. I would eventually find it's way back to lock if the burst was long enough. I believe this was processor overload as it was dealing with continuous calculation of theAF combined with writing files to the card. Where I am going with this is that I hope they have enough processing power to provide reliable AF while providing the other camera functions. I would take less MPX/frame rate to have a killer AF tracking system.

Upvote 0
This makes a mockery of the 1DXIII in some ways, yes different target, but those specs are too good to be true and if true imagine the price. The heat from 4K120 would be huge, and they would need a very fast read speed, 2x the 1DXIII's read speed even if it has no AF and with a huge crop.

I call trolled, but would love for this to be true. It would be a seismic shift in the mirrorless FF market. IMO the only way these specs are true is if there are huge caveats in the performance claims eg no AF with 4K60p, 4K120p or 8K30p, 12fps for stills, 6fps with tracking etc.

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2016
Well some have said Canon would eventually hit back hard on the camera front, I mean for several years now the entire industry has been saying Sony and Nikon cameras are more advanced in this or that way. It didn't actually seem to do Canon any harm but perhaps they decided to get back on top.

To be frank I'll only believe those specs when I see them but we will see.

The name of R5 kind of surprises me after R and Rp, I thought they might go on a different track but that suggests they are going to go back to the EF line up for names.

I do hope it has IBIS - that would mean I will just stick with my EF 24-70 2.8 and not have to buy the RF model for a good long time until its prices fall. IBIS will I suspect be appreciated a great deal by many with large EF lens collections who want to delay buying the RF glass while it is expensive. For that reason I remain sceptical as to whether canon will bring it in but I certainly hope I'm wrong!

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
Yeah, but in stills mode, the 1DX3 also does "only" 20 FPS, yet this camera is claiming 20 FPS @ 45MP with electronic shutter.

So, it begs the question, did they limit the 1DX3's stills throughput, when it could possibly do 30 FPS or 40 FPS RAW stills, without AF?

I suspect that there is a lot more to these exciting numbers than we're getting. It's very likely that each spec has one or two serious caveats that totally changes the "shock factor" of each number at first glance...

It's possible that canon setup two teams here:
- One to develop a sensor/body for the "can't miss the olympics" 1DX3, for folks who have a stable of EF glass.
- One for next gen sensors/bodies, that was more of a moonshot with softer timelines.

The 1DX3 would have been locked in years ago, but an R5 could be a bigger risk/reward situation. If some patents and engineering bets paid off, then you'd get this camera. If not, they could fall back to 1D3 level sensors. Boeing did that with the 747 (tried and true) being developed concurrently with a supersonic jet. Granted that effort did not work out for Boeing :)

I am still waiting to see asterisks and real specs and remain super skeptical (especially 8K raw in an ILC body!). But we've heard unusually candid talk from canon execs for the last 3+ years about how they recognized they were late with 4K and mirrorless in general. So... cautiously optimistic?

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
At the risk of being seriously abused, what is about these specs that is making so many people excited?

(Listing only the CR3 specs)

Named the Canon EOS R5
45mp full-frame CMOS sensor
IBIS
12fps mechanical, 20fps electronic
8K @ 30fps RAW
4K @ 120fps
Built-in 5GHz WiFi
New battery, but the same shape and compatibility as the EOS 5D Mark IV
Launching in July 2020

I guess I'm showing my bias for stills, but unless they have corrected some things I'm not super-excited.

Items that need correction:

Single spot autofocus
Faster autofocusing with less hunting
More accurate autofocus, particularly on eye and face selection (needs to lock on selected subject)
Better ergonomics overall

I'm not saying these things won't happen. I hope they do. But I'm having a hard time reconciling the CR 3 specs with all the excitement.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0