Canon EOS R5 Specifications

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I hope Canon does not prioritize spec over performance and reliability. I picked up a 90d to test and found that it struggled with AF burst shooting. The AF would lock and pretty fast, but wander as the burst hit 7-8 shots. I also saw this on shorter burts, but it ws most prevalent when you got up to around 7-8 shots. I would eventually find it's way back to lock if the burst was long enough. I believe this was processor overload as it was dealing with continuous calculation of theAF combined with writing files to the card. Where I am going with this is that I hope they have enough processing power to provide reliable AF while providing the other camera functions. I would take less MPX/frame rate to have a killer AF tracking system.
Assuming you can select the number of frames per second just like 7DII did you try it with 7 or 8 fps?

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
At the risk of being seriously abused, what is about these specs that is making so many people excited?

(Listing only the CR3 specs)

Named the Canon EOS R5
45mp full-frame CMOS sensor
IBIS
12fps mechanical, 20fps electronic
8K @ 30fps RAW
4K @ 120fps
Built-in 5GHz WiFi
New battery, but the same shape and compatibility as the EOS 5D Mark IV
Launching in July 2020

I guess I'm showing my bias for stills, but unless they have corrected some things I'm not super-excited.

Items that need correction:

Single spot autofocus
Faster autofocusing with less hunting
More accurate autofocus, particularly on eye and face selection (needs to lock on selected subject)
Better ergonomics overall

I'm not saying these things won't happen. I hope they do. But I'm having a hard time reconciling the CR 3 specs with all the excitement.
Not everything is always shown or known in CR3's and sometimes 4's. Just because it's not listed doesn't mean it won't be there. Patience on the info front, it will continue to trickle in and we'll be better suited for our rage, contentment or bewilderment.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
At the risk of being seriously abused, what is about these specs that is making so many people excited?

Single spot autofocus
More accurate autofocus, particularly on eye and face selection (needs to lock on selected subject)

I'm not saying these things won't happen. I hope they do. But I'm having a hard time reconciling the CR 3 specs with all the excitement.

- That frame rate and mp count are a great combo for an "all around" camera and are exciting to me for sure. My biggest gripe with my 5D4 is frame rate when I'm shooting sports for friends. 20 fps silent shutter? My second gripe with the 5D4 is shooting in "quiet" settings such as work conferences.
- The youtube contingent seems to say that the 1D3's mirrorless AF performance is on par with its OVF performance,
- Eye AF is something canon is heavily focused on (zing) and has improved over time even in released bodies. I don't have an R, but have read pretty solid things about the latest firmware.

But things like AF specs (aside from "63 point all cross type!") don't often make these spec lists IIRC because they're hard to quantify. I agree canon's AF isn't always class leading (at least in the hands of an amateur like me) but I don't read anything nefarious into their omission here.

Upvote 0
It's possible that canon setup two teams here:
- One to develop a sensor/body for the "can't miss the olympics" 1DX3, for folks who have a stable of EF glass.
- One for next gen sensors/bodies, that was more of a moonshot with softer timelines.

The 1DX3 would have been locked in years ago, but an R5 could be a bigger risk/reward situation. If some patents and engineering bets paid off, then you'd get this camera. If not, they could fall back to 1D3 level sensors. Boeing did that with the 747 (tried and true) being developed concurrently with a supersonic jet. Granted that effort did not work out for Boeing :)

I am still waiting to see asterisks and real specs and remain super skeptical (especially 8K raw in an ILC body!). But we've heard unusually candid talk from canon execs for the last 3+ years about how they recognized they were late with 4K and mirrorless in general. So... cautiously optimistic?
Oh my god, an intelligent conversation. Thank you!

Personally, I'm betting on the "lost in translation" hypothesis with a lot of these specs. For example, 8K RAW is likely referring to the capability of 45-MP raw frames to produce 8K still frames for a timelapse video.

20 FPS stills could be in APS-C crop mode, since that is in keeping with the throughput speed of a 1DX3. In fact, we have a perfect example of this type of dual-purpose full-frame camera in the Nikon D850; a 45MP sensor that crops to DX mode and thereby offers the speed of the 20MP Nikon D500.

All in all, this reeks of a passing, insufficient glance at a "real" spec sheet with a fill-in-the-blanks approach to interpreting the numbers gleaned by that fleeting glance.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida

Named the Canon EOS R5
IBIS
8K @ 30fps RAW
4K @ 120fps
Built-in 5GHz WiFi
Launching in July 2020

I guess I'm showing my bias for stills, but unless they have corrected some things I'm not super-excited.

Single spot autofocus

The removal of the touchbar...

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
I was so tempted to hold out for a good EOS R to upgrade/replace my 5D Mark IV... but now I'm second guessing. I find myself shifting from roadside/short hike landscape work to longer trips and more outdoor/adventure photography. As such - both weight and space/volume become a bigger concern.

The RF lens lineup looks spectacular... but from a weight AND volume standpoint, I think it would be taking me the opposite way (at least until canon releases more non-crazy-good RF lenses...)

No EOS R in my future? :(

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
I do not for a minute believe these specs. I very, very much look forward to being wrong. I've been worried about my 5D4 and EF lenses losing their value but if this is actually the spec list I straight up won't care.
Why would your EF lenses lose their value? Mine definitely wouldn't.

5Ghz Wifi sounds promising but the effort falls flat if they don't get an app that is worth a cr@p.
If I buy this camera, I promise to write an app for it that won't suck :)

Upvote 0
I'd honestly give up a half a stop of DR over a Sony if I could get a similar Canon camera. I dropped my 5d in the mud, it fell on rocks a few times in the mountains, has cracks and scratches all over it... Still works perfectly.

Now I'd be careful with the second-hand 5D market...

• Sad
  • Wow
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Why would your EF lenses lose their value? Mine definitely wouldn't.

If I buy this camera, I promise to write an app for it that won't suck :)
Canon gear holds it's value better than most imaging stuff. I frequently sell my lenses for more than I bought them for. This body and RF means nothing to the value of dslr's and EF glass.

Upvote 0

IcyBergs

I have a Sony...TV
May 31, 2016

Named the Canon EOS R5
IBIS
8K @ 30fps RAW
4K @ 120fps
Built-in 5GHz WiFi
Launching in July 2020

Single spot autofocus

How could you forget to mention dual card slots in your "need correction" list?

Upvote 0

Romain

Click by chance, everyday...
Dec 20, 2016
TRY TO UNDERSTAND... Photography and videography have the same destiny, it's a fact since the beginning mates... Talking about video specs here is very fun because photographers are always underestimating the importance of the increasing of the video resolution. When you will burst in 8K at 30fps in video mode (or more res, in RAW, at ISO 300 000 000 with DPAF in 2040), what will photography become?.. Something marginal more and more, a long exposure life style, an artistic tool... Maybe i miss some technical issues, but we walked on moon, or was it fake??... Maybe i'm dreaming sometimes, i don't know... Or you're denying!! Haha :p

Last edited:
  • Haha
Upvote 0