Canon EOS R5 Specifications

Jul 16, 2012
Even IF you write off the 8K as a mistranslation, the base specs still are in wishful thinking territory. 45 @ 20fps? Even with no mechanical shutter, or no AF, that is still more data than any other camera moves around. That's not incremental.

"R5" - 45x20 = 900mp/s
A74 - 60x10 = 600
A92 - 24x20 = 480
1D3 - 20x20 = 400
Z70 - 45x9 = 405

What are Leicas pushing? Is there a higher throughput camera on the market than the A74?

Onky thing I can think of to explain is a reduced resolution 12 bit burst mode like the M6 II. But more likely just wrong - maybe they're doing a group sweep of the leakers and having fun at the same time.

Upvote 0
I was so tempted to hold out for a good EOS R to upgrade/replace my 5D Mark IV... but now I'm second guessing. I find myself shifting from roadside/short hike landscape work to longer trips and more outdoor/adventure photography. As such - both weight and space/volume become a bigger concern.

The RF lens lineup looks spectacular... but from a weight AND volume standpoint, I think it would be taking me the opposite way (at least until canon releases more non-crazy-good RF lenses...)

No EOS R in my future? :(
Hiking/backpacking? EOS RP, (or successor with better sensor) ...and wait for Tamron's incredible f/2.8 (Sony FE) zooms to arrive.

Alternately, the EF-M system is AWESOME for ultralight trail running/backpacking! Again, just gotta be willing to fill some of the missing links with third-party options, such as the Rokinon 12mm f/2...

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
TRY TO UNDERSTAND... Photography and videography have the same destiny, it's a fact since the beginning mates... Talking about video specs here is very fun because photographers are always underestimating the importance of the increasing of the video resolution. When you will burst in 8K at 30fps in video mode (or more res, in RAW, at ISO 300 000 000 with DPAF in 2040), what will photography become?.. Something marginal more and more, a long exposure life style, an artistic tool... Maybe i miss some technical issues, but we walked on moon, or was it fake??... Maybe i'm dreaming sometimes, i don't know... Or you denying!! Haha :p
you lost your argument with "since the beginning..."

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
The pixel density is too low to replace a 7D Mark II for long-reach applications (17MP in APS-c mode) and no information about the usability of the viewfinder (I find all Sony's and both Canon's to be unusable, so whether or not I ever switch away from SLRs depends heavily on this point).
An 8% difference in linear resolution with the benefit of a FF field of view and pixel density is "too low"? Please. If you want higher pixel density, wait for the hi res version. You won't get the high frame rate, but you will get 90D pixel density or thereabouts.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
At the risk of being seriously abused, what is about these specs that is making so many people excited?

(Listing only the CR3 specs)

Named the Canon EOS R5
45mp full-frame CMOS sensor
IBIS
12fps mechanical, 20fps electronic
8K @ 30fps RAW
4K @ 120fps
Built-in 5GHz WiFi
New battery, but the same shape and compatibility as the EOS 5D Mark IV
Launching in July 2020

I guess I'm showing my bias for stills, but unless they have corrected some things I'm not super-excited.

Items that need correction:

Single spot autofocus
Faster autofocusing with less hunting
More accurate autofocus, particularly on eye and face selection (needs to lock on selected subject)
Better ergonomics overall

I'm not saying these things won't happen. I hope they do. But I'm having a hard time reconciling the CR 3 specs with all the excitement.

Not much for me. I'm guessing people are excited about using the thing as a video camera, more than anything. Otherwise, there's no point in making it mirrorless and the still specs are good, but not spectacular.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
An 8% difference in linear resolution with the benefit of a FF field of view and pixel density is "too low"?

Yes. I want an upgrade, not a down-grade.

Please. If you want higher pixel density, wait for the hi res version. You won't get the high frame rate, but you will get 90D pixel density or thereabouts.

I'd be interested in a 7D with a version of the 90D sensor.

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
Why would your EF lenses lose their value? Mine definitely wouldn't.

I mean you can define value a lot of ways, but I would define it as the price I can get on the open market. I would absolutely expect if canon released a killer RF body on the heels of an announcement that they will be investing less in new EF models that fair market prices on used glass would drop.

They would, of course, continue to produce spectacular images.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
At the risk of being seriously abused, what is about these specs that is making so many people excited?

(Listing only the CR3 specs)

Named the Canon EOS R5
45mp full-frame CMOS sensor
IBIS
12fps mechanical, 20fps electronic
8K @ 30fps RAW
4K @ 120fps
Built-in 5GHz WiFi
New battery, but the same shape and compatibility as the EOS 5D Mark IV
Launching in July 2020

I guess I'm showing my bias for stills, but unless they have corrected some things I'm not super-excited.

Items that need correction:

Single spot autofocus
Faster autofocusing with less hunting
More accurate autofocus, particularly on eye and face selection (needs to lock on selected subject)
Better ergonomics overall

I'm not saying these things won't happen. I hope they do. But I'm having a hard time reconciling the CR 3 specs with all the excitement.
Without AA-filter.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
An 8% difference in linear resolution with the benefit of a FF field of view and pixel density is "too low"? Please. If you want higher pixel density, wait for the hi res version. You won't get the high frame rate, but you will get 90D pixel density or thereabouts.
I am amazed how so many tech geeks can be involved in an artistic craft. It's amazing! (unless you're shooting brick walls that is) Me, I'm seriously right brained and cannot get involved in the sensor hooha but give me a Lensbaby and BAM!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
I am amazed how so many tech geeks can be involved in an artistic craft. It's amazing! (unless you're shooting brick walls that is) Me, I'm seriously right brained and cannot get involved in the sensor hooha but give me a Lensbaby and BAM!!!

I'm a tech geek (MS EE), I don't think photography is an art, and I have close to 500,000 images under management. I don't think I have any pictures of brick walls, but I do have a few thousand test shots taken with various equipment for various reasons.

Upvote 0

Trankilstef

Image making loverEOS R and EOS R5 (soon)
Jan 5, 2020
www.stephanetranquillin.com
No way this would cost less than 4500€...
The Panasonic S1H retails at 4000€/$, and this camera if it is true beats the S1H in every possible way... So we shouldn't except less than 4500€.
I would even go further and say that it will retail at 5000+, in the same range as the Sony a9 series (though it's not the same kind of camera)...

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Not everything is always shown or known in CR3's and sometimes 4's. Just because it's not listed doesn't mean it won't be there. Patience on the info front, it will continue to trickle in and we'll be better suited for our rage, contentment or bewilderment.
Sure, but that's why I'm a more than a little perplexed by all the folks who are acting like they just got invited upstairs by Margot Robbie.

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Yes. I want an upgrade, not a down-grade.

I'd be interested in a 7D with a version of the 90D sensor.
You will get a 40-45 MP R and a 75-80 MP R. You will not get an APS-c R or a replacement for the 7D II. If the 7D II was selling decently, it would have been replaced at least a year ago. Your choice is a 90D or a FF R. In a shrinking market, some niches have to be covered by different means and the mentioned choices aren't bad at all. I would like to see and M5 II, but not holding my breath for much the same set of reasons. Most of the M market is entry level and the M6 II is intended to mop up the more enthusiastic crowd. Such is life.

Upvote 0