Canon EOS R5 Specifications

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
You will get a 40-45 MP R and a 75-80 MP R. You will not get an APS-c R or a replacement for the 7D II. If the 7D II was selling decently, it would have been replaced at least a year ago. Your choice is a 90D or a FF R.

Then I'll keep the 7DII, and never give them any more of my money. Neither option is acceptable.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I'm a tech geek (MS EE), I don't think photography is an art, and I have close to 500,000 images under management. I don't think I have any pictures of brick walls, but I do have a few thousand test shots taken with various equipment for various reasons.
Cameras are like paintbrushes, anybody can pick them up and use them, most paint walls with a tin of emulsion from Home Depot or Lowes, some paint the Sistine chapel.

Your photography might not be art, and there is no shame in that, but to imply some artists don’t use photography as a medium goes too far. Photography can be art but most photography isn’t, also most photographers are not artists But some are.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
Cameras are like paintbrushes, anybody can pick them up and use them, most paint walls with a tin of emulsion from Home Depot or Lowes, some paint the Sistine chapel.

Your photography might not be art, and there is no shame in that, but to imply some artists don’t use photography as a medium goes too far. Photography can be art but most photography isn’t, also most photographers are not artists But some are.

I've never seen any photography I consider art, and I have visited art museums with photography sections.

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

reefroamer

CR Pro
Jun 21, 2014
Maybe Canon just decided to turn off cruise control, throw away the “cripple hammer” for awhile and show everyone what they can do with the afterburners fired up. It wouldn’t be the first time. I don’t think there's anything in these specs that can’t be done right now, affordably, with existing technology if Canon thinks outside their box. It's always better to cannibalize your own products before your competitors do.
And just to torch the market, my guess is $2,799. Show 'em your six, Canon!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
Good engineers are very careful with the use of the word "never" :) .

Never, until they come up with a true upgrade or my needs drastically change from now.

In 2016 I upgraded from a full-frame 5D to the crop 7DII, and that was a great choice for me. My lens kit is now built around that camera, and four of my lenses are crop-lenses.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Romain

Click by chance, everyday...
Dec 20, 2016
you lost your argument with "since the beginning..."
In fact you're absolutely right, photography came first... You agree with our human ignorances of the 19th century since we discover that... That what??... Guess what :LOL: Photography=Videography ... Think faster! Exponential curves!.. Tech is in!.. :p:cool:

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2016
Why would your EF lenses lose their value? Mine definitely wouldn't.

If I buy this camera, I promise to write an app for it that won't suck :)

Indeed - if Canon brings out bodies with IBIS it will likely stabilise used prices of a lot of EF glass. It can be perfectly adapted to the new system. Case in point - the RF 24-70/2.8 is optically almost the same as the EF but does have IS. If we get an R5 with IBIS anyone wanting a 2.8 24-70 will be able to save a small fortune adapting the EF model, have the stabilised sensor and likely be very happy.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
Maybe Canon just decided to turn off cruise control, throw away the “cripple hammer” for awhile and show everyone what they can do with the afterburners fired up. It wouldn’t be the first time. I don’t think there's anything in these specs that can’t be done right now, affordably, with existing technology if Canon thinks outside their box. It's always better to cannibalize your own products before your competitors do.
And just to torch the market, my guess is $2,799. Show 'em your six, Canon!

8k raw is RED territory, and look what they have to do to process a billion pixels per second and save them out.

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
I've never seen any photography I consider art, and I have visited art museums with photography sections.
With respect, I think you're applying a pretty strict definition of 'art' to say that no photographs achieve it. A lot of people who consider themselves artists (and are generally considered to be so by society as a whole) produce what they consider to be art using photography. And a lot of people, including every major art gallery and museum in the world, acquires those works on the basis that they are art. And to achieve some of the effects these artists use in producing their works can take a lot of MP, very high ISO, and a variety of fancy techniques/features that most of us would never use.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
In fact you're absolutely right, photography came first... You agree with our human ignorances of the 19th century since we discover that... That what??... Guess what :LOL: Photography=Videography ... Think faster! Exponential curves!.. Tech is in!.. :p:cool:
You'll NEVER convince me, and that has nothing to do with engineering

• Haha
Upvote 0