Canon EOS R5 Specifications

btw I'm convinced it's always better if you start playing a good instrument as a beginner, not a crappy one. You may not be able to afford a good piano/guitar/whatever as a learner but purely for skill development it's better to have a quality instrument.

I suspect the same applies to photography and cameras, but many people think the gear doesn't matter.
And what's more is I think there's a bias against good equipment in the 'art world' and against knowing how to use it. Kind of a righteous primitivism. Though I do think it's possible to make good photos with an awful camera, or a simple one--just like the old blues guys made wonderful music using old beater guitars. But bad tools aren't a prerequisite by any means!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
Ummm... Compression when recording a raw video?

Yes.

I think the entire idea behind raw video is that there is no compression taking place.

No, the entire idea is that no *processing* (demosaicing, color calibration, black point, gamma, white balance, etc.) is going on.

That's what I'm asking... People seem to be unable to believe that a camera could ever handle this level of video

No, REDs handle more, but they're expensive and write to ultra-fast SSDs.

but my question is what does the camera really need to "process" when you're shooting a raw format.

Nothing - raw means "uncooked".

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
If it's really 45Mp, *and* Canon also releases an 80Mp model, I'll probably struggle to choose between high-res and high-DR (as I believe 45Mp one will have a better DR).
45Mp is nearly what I'd like to have in terms of resolution but slightly below the expectations, I'd better have 50+Mp.

I guess if Canon promises to match at least 5DIV's performance, I'll even think of preorderng this 45Mp beast. If they match A7RIII, it's a must buy.
I will be in between too. I use 5DIV for low light, night, internal spaces and general purpose and 5DsR (and less 7DII) for birding...

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
The video specs don't make any sense. Canon doesn't need to go for Sony's jugular, and this would amount to going for Sony's jugular in sparking a new spec race.
In the present contracting market, the jugulars of Nikon and Sony are exactly what are needed to stay alive. Canon will drink from them.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

reefroamer

CR Pro
Jun 21, 2014
8k raw is RED territory, and look what they have to do to process a billion pixels per second and save them out.
Yes, but ... Are you saying Canon can’t make or buy something faster? Limits are broken every day in tech. Business considerations aside, I don’t think there’s any reason Canon can't obtain that performance or better.

Upvote 0
A musician is always a musician. They aren't an artist unless they compose their own music or improvise during performance.
But how is composing and improvising on a tool manufactured by someone else different than capturing a view or moment that no-one else has on a camera? Just an instrument isn't it?

And to follow your tangent (down the rabbit hole):

A photographer is always a photographer. I think they're an artist when they capture a scene or an instant that isn't somebody else's inspiration or idea. But somewhere else I said, doesn't mean either--musician or photographer--is any good at it. I wish people would stop using the word 'artist' like it's some holy achievement of perfection. Angelic choirs, parting clouds, yada yada.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
pretty disappointing if the resolution is not going to beat the 5DSR let alone Sony.
Somehow, with these specs, 5mp isn't going to be missed. There is plenty a 5DSr can't do that this camera will. The high resolution model is coming.

Upvote 0

Laslen

5D Mark III
Oct 18, 2014
I see history repeating itself. I remember when everyone was hyping up the EOS R, saying it would be the amazing leap in mirrorless technology that would dethrone Sony.

Canon doesn't need to dethrone Sony, they only need to be competitive, and prevent more customers from switching. They need to match Sony. So far, they have failed in even coming close. Canon is not going to waste a bunch of money designing a camera far better than they need to, while also butchering their own pro flagship DSLR and Cine product lines.

Think about it, guys. Look up the 1DX3 specs and tell me you seriously believe this is even possible in a small MILC body. Be excited for Canon's future, but not delusional. You are setting yourselves up for perpetual disappointment in Canon. Their lenses are what will bring people back, as long as the bodies are competitive.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
DCAV (don't care about video) buuuut...

I'm glad my dslrs have it! Just because I don't use it that much doesn't mean I don't want it. The 4K on the 5D4 was mostly useless for me, had a hard time recording the ridiculously weighty MJPEG even to my 1000x Lexar. I won't say 'no' to these video specs if Canon is offering them... hopefully with reasonable codecs. It's about time Canon turned all that potential into kinetic. It is 2020 afterall!

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
WHAT would be a realistic price point for this came with those specifications? Anyone? Would love to hear opinions. Thanks!!!

If it really has FF 8K 30fps RAW mode without asterisks? They could probably get over $4000.

Assuming the 8K is a mistranslation, but the rest is true? More like a 5DSR launch price—$3899. I don't know if exchange rates in Japan have changed. I'd put my money on $3699 or so. But that's if the 20fps electronic shutter doesn't have drastic limitations, and same with the 4K 60/120 models.

If you're looking at crops and autofocus limits and 8 bit modes, etc—then I could see a lower intro price. I think they'll want to keep it a few hundred above the A74 to avoid a price war with Sony.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
A musician is always a musician. They aren't an artist unless they compose their own music or improvise during performance.
You just described all the great photographers whose work hangs in galleries around the world.

• Love
Upvote 0