Canon EOS R5 Specifications

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
And using a slow SD card slows down a 5DII/5DIII/5DS/5DIV. Nothing new there. Not everybody needs the speed at all, and most don't need it all the time. SD cards are WAY cheaper, even the UHSII variety.
I definitely wouldn't need it either, but if the headline speed (including video capture) is going to be a big part of the story, then it's possible they will go dual CFE. They may not think the cost of new cards will matter much on a USD5k camera.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
guys guys.. this is ridiculous. You know how canon tries to keep the cinema line separate.. this is going totally against what they're been doing. You think they would do that now? MAYBE the 8k and 4k has a MASSIVE crop or something like no DPAF with video or no AF. idk. but this is dumb. Who would buy the 1dx3?? I think it'll definitely destroy that part of the market. absolutely do not believe this.. plus its a 45mp FF sensor. 12-20 fps?? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. HEIF files or not, nooooo way.
I have learned the art of 'wait and watch' around 3 years ago when I stupidly predicted that DSLR is dead. So I would not 'HAHAHAHHAHA' too soon.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
looking at the specs, who thought the R was going to be more than $2400? I thought it was going to be $1500. No IBIS, one card slot, cropped 4K etc...everyone else thought it was overpriced too, which is why it didn’t sell until Canon dropped it to $1200. If the R with its average specs was $2400, you expect that fully loaded R5 with those specs to be anything less than a9 II prices?

Me for sure:
  • It was not aimed at the competition -- it was aimed at us, existing Canon owners. There was (at that time) a large pent-up interest in FF mirrorless and I assumed they'd ask for a pretty penny for it as folks didn't have to buy new lenses to use to the platform.
  • It has a 5D4 sensor + tilty-flippy + more portable body. 5D4 owners (i.e. people who pay decent money for what they need) didn't have two of those things and probably wanted at least one of them without having to downgrade to a 6D2 body.
  • The 5D4 (albeit a beefier pro product) was selling for $3099 at the time EOS R came out. (That lacked IBIS and had cropped 4K as well, btw. ;))
So I thought it would be $2500-ish. More if they spec'd it more like the 5D4, less if they came in at entry level, put a 6D2 sensor in there, etc.

Follow up question: A new EOS R body price was dropped to $1200? From authorized resellers?

1580276207640.png

- A

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sir, I applaud your taste in hardware and furthermore give you a standing ovation for not mentioning video in any way shape or from.
But video is the new photo, why must you always get so worked up. Soon enough you will be hitting that shutter release and then recording of media will happen and you will select your image from the video. We in the film world have been doing this with dng sequences and a few other motions files for a while. Video is the future of photo. How good a camera is now based on video. Most of the people in the world can tell no difference on their phones between 20-60 mpix so there is no point for people to get so worked up over the hybrid shooters that have helped evolve this market. I hope this camera has 4K 120 and you buy it and use alllll the video functions and realize video is great.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Throttling with an SD card has been an issue with the 5 series back at least a far as the 5DII, so nothing new there. The RII would lose 8k, 4k /120, 4k cinema format, and some AF features and very likely IBIS. Plenty of differentiation. Sony only offers IBIS on the high end because it is not cheap to build well.
So the RII is just +10MP and not much else over the R? I guess if it is at the original price point of the R that makes sense, and keeps it away from the R5. Having skipped the R line due to the lack of features for the price, I would expect more of the RII. I guess if the line does flesh out somewhat like I am guessing, you can get whatever you want, as long as you can afford it :)

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Two things that a bit pussles me "mechanical 12fps"? and "same shape and controls as the 5Dvi"? I wonder how those two lines got into the R family.

Same shape as the 5D4 battery. I believe we're talking about the battery there.

Mechanical = the shutter (mirrorless rigs still have those). A mechanical shutter like we have in just about every ILC is (generally) preferable, but eventually it will rate-limit the fps, so an e-shutter opens up the door for higher framerates.

- A

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Assuming the DIGIC X can do 45MP x 20fps, or 900MPs, is this what the R lineup will look like by the end of the year:

ModelPriceMPFPSVideoNotes
RP$7002654k/24Cost reduced
R (& Ra + $1,000)$1,4003084k/60EOL?
RII (w/smart controller)$2,40032124k/60 (or 120?)No Crop, 2 SD slots
R5$3,70045208k/30DR & high ISO, 2 x CF Express
RS? (same as R5 body)$3,70075128k/30DR, 2 x CF Express
R1 (1d battery)$5,00024/3237/284k/120Best AF, Very high ISO, 2 x CF Express

Your chart is already out of date. R6 rumored specs just dropped.

It may be R1 / R5 / R6 like we have with SLRs and they just used these first two names R and RP and cannon fodder names for the first versions. Call me crazy, but we may never see an R2 or another RP.

- A

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
So the RII is just +10MP and not much else over the R? I guess if it is at the original price point of the R that makes sense, and keeps it away from the R5. Having skipped the R line due to the lack of features for the price, I would expect more of the RII. I guess if the line does flesh out somewhat like I am guessing, you can get whatever you want, as long as you can afford it :)
The R doesn't do 4k/60 and I think that would be cheap to do with a 40MP sensor and 2:1 binning. You would see some aliasing due to effective loss of the AA filter, but otherwise the video should be pretty good. All speculation, but yes, I think you will have a lot of options. I still want an M5II, but that may not happen, or maybe, just maybe it is waiting on the new processor to get the power consumption to fit the battery envelope. Probably not until late in the year to give everybody time to lose hope and buy an M6II, though :) .

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2017
Interesting. I also wonder what the specs say about the other two rumoured R cameras supposed to be coming out this year? If this is the 5Dv-equivalent, then maybe the 5Ds/high MP R will be the more stills-focused version? Which leaves the EOS Rii.

Yes. Canon strategy clear now.

Only one question now: is 5DV dead?

EOS R5 @ $2999 ? Nobody buy 5DV.

Upvote 0