Canon EOS R5 Specifications

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Yes. Canon strategy clear now.

Only one question now: is 5DV dead?

EOS R5 @ $2999 ? Nobody buy 5DV.

I think R5 and the 5D5 will be priced much closer to one another than R was to the 5D4. Canon might make the R5 a hair less costly than a same spec'd 5D5 to foster migration to RF and possibly sell some RF lenses.

But the hordes of 5-series users aren't going to just give up their OVFs en masse. Many will want to stick with an SLR for OVF, battery, and even trust/reliability reasons -- it's the system they've been using forever.

So I see a 5D5 happening.

- A

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
5D5 always more expensive than R5.

If R5 + EF-RF less than 5D5, why buy 5D5?

OVF
Some photographers may not like like adaptors, having to think about remembering them if they have a mixed bag of EF and RF glass,, etc.
Battery life
R5 may not have 5D size/feel/ergonomics/controls (TBD)
R5 may not be as rugged as the 5D (TBD)

I'm speculating, of course, but imagine taking your friendly neighborhood wedding photographer, portrait studio pro, etc. and tell them 'this is cheaper, so you'll use this now' and take away the technology they've been using for a very long time. It probably won't go well.

They'll get there, they'll switch eventually, but a straight price-based argument won't do it.

- A

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

MVPhoto

EOS 5D mk3
CR Pro
Sep 15, 2018
AL
looking at the specs, who thought the R was going to be more than $2400? I thought it was going to be $1500. No IBIS, one card slot, cropped 4K etc...everyone else thought it was overpriced too, which is why it didn’t sell until Canon dropped it to $1200. If the R with its average specs was $2400, you expect that fully loaded R5 with those specs to be anything less than a9 II prices?

It's basically a stripped down 5D mk4. It's the exact same sensor as the 5D mk4. That camera was $3,500 when it launched new. It's still $2,600 new several years later. Yes, it has 2 card slots. The EOS R has some improvements to it's video codecs that the mk4 doesn't have though. All and all I think the launch price on the EOS R was very reasonable. When the EOS R dropped to $1,500 for Christmas I nearly snagged one then but I'm waiting for this rumored R5!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
TRY TO UNDERSTAND... Photography and videography have the same destiny, it's a fact since the beginning mates... Talking about video specs here is very fun because photographers are always underestimating the importance of the increasing of the video resolution. When you will burst in 8K at 30fps in video mode (or more res, in RAW, at ISO 300 000 000 with DPAF in 2040), what will photography become?.. Something marginal more and more, a long exposure life style, an artistic tool... Maybe i miss some technical issues, but we walked on moon, or was it fake??... Maybe i'm dreaming sometimes, i don't know... Or you're denying!! Haha :p
If photography means a snapshot to you at a constant shutter speed with No strobes or speedlites used then sure. Why wouldn’t you .... ;)

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I'm a tech geek (MS EE), I don't think photography is an art, and I have close to 500,000 images under management. I don't think I have any pictures of brick walls, but I do have a few thousand test shots taken with various equipment for various reasons.
Photography is not an art? What Does it mean to you then? Just courious

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Cameras are like paintbrushes, anybody can pick them up and use them, most paint walls with a tin of emulsion from Home Depot or Lowes, some paint the Sistine chapel.

Your photography might not be art, and there is no shame in that, but to imply some artists don’t use photography as a medium goes too far. Photography can be art but most photography isn’t, also most photographers are not artists But some are.
Photography that isn’t an artistry is a snapshootery and therefore isn’t a media for artist but rather for snapshooters :)

Upvote 0
The pixel density is too low to replace a 7D Mark II for long-reach applications (17MP in APS-c mode) and no information about the usability of the viewfinder (I find all Sony's and both Canon's to be unusable, so whether or not I ever switch away from SLRs depends heavily on this point).
We get it. You hate EVFs.

Upvote 0

Mark D5 TEAM II

Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
Mar 5, 2013
Tleilax, Thalim Star System
Craig's track record with CR3 rumors is very good, so I'll take these specs to the bank even if I don't have an account with them. I will enjoy the weeping & gnashing of teeth from the Sony fanboys getting owned massively for great justice.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Laslen

5D Mark III
Oct 18, 2014
Regarding all the people who are skeptical about the R5 shooting 8K video, this is most likely implemented in a time-lapse mode. Remember the Nikon Z7 mirrorless which was introduced in Aug 2018 is also 45 MP and shoots 8K time-lapse videos.
What about 4k120p? That almost seems more far-fetched to me. Is a FF mirrorless body even capable of handling that? I think it would need cooling fans.

Upvote 0

Mark D5 TEAM II

Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
Mar 5, 2013
Tleilax, Thalim Star System
I personally wish for these specs, or most of these specs, on a body with a viewfinder with infinite resolution, zero lag, no noise when viewing low-light scenes, very low blackout times, takes little or no power... Hmmm, does Canon have that cutting-edge VF tech I wonder... :unsure::cautious:;)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0