Canon EOS R5 Specifications

Apr 25, 2011
They need to match Sony.
No, thanks. If I wanted something that matches a Sony, I would buy a Sony.

tell me you seriously believe this is even possible in a small MILC body.
Sorry, but what I especially don't want Canon to do is to match Sony on the body size. I prefer 5D series ergonomics, thank you very much.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Sorry, but what I especially don't want Canon to do is to match Sony on the body size. I prefer 5D series ergonomics, thank you very much.
I agree, and it is not only about hardware ergonomics, I also don't want to be exposed to Sony's software "ergonomics". I want to be able to shoot, not to get lost in kafkaeske menu labyrinths to find the setting I need.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
My 5DII is a single-slot CF camera. YMMV, of course, but somehow I doubt it.
Believe it or not: I shot many years cameras with only one single film loaded, no safety back-up film possible. Risky times back then, I hardly survived...

Upvote 0
The pixel density is too low to replace a 7D Mark II for long-reach applications (17MP in APS-c mode) and no information about the usability of the viewfinder (I find all Sony's and both Canon's to be unusable, so whether or not I ever switch away from SLRs depends heavily on this point).

What do You mean “unusable”??? What else You want in EVF to be “usable”?

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
5D5 always more expensive than R5.
Question is whether the production of a SLR or a ML with IBIS is more costly. Not sure. Simple ML bodies w/o IBIS are much less complex than a SLR and therefore much cheaper to make, but IBIS enhances electro-mechanical complexity. My guess: an SLR is even more complex and costly to produce, e.g. it needs a separate phase AF sensor etc. ...

Upvote 0
The pixel density is too low to replace a 7D Mark II for long-reach applications (17MP in APS-c mode) and no information about the usability of the viewfinder (I find all Sony's and both Canon's to be unusable, so whether or not I ever switch away from SLRs depends heavily on this point).

For those who need higher pixel density, they could swap in the sensor from the 90D / M6 MkII. If they also add the new AF Smart Controller from the 1DX III, and an improved viewfinder, this could end up being a truly impressive replacement for the 7D II.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Well, this body - if true - will be a big step forward, near the Sony bodies and in video even much better. There must be an superfast card inside. to get 8k/30 or 4k/120. Wow. I´d be happy with half of these video features.
Hurting, that there will be no 75MP or even 50-60. For birding each pixel is welcome....
But in some years, when the main competitor will have 100MP, we will get 60 from our favourite brand. If I can still hold such an body - as of beeing very old - I´ll definitively buy one :)

• Haha
Upvote 0
I don’t think the rumor is true. Makes no sense that they wouldn’t put for instance 4K/120 in the 1dx mkiii if this was true. And why is there even a spec on the mechanical shutter?.. Normally when the release the 1D line the other cameras get some of its features. Not all of them and more. If the rumor would be true they would piss off a lot of professional photographers that went with the 1 dx mk 3

Upvote 0
Hurting, that there will be no 75MP or even 50-60. For birding each pixel is welcome....
Very wierd that all the talk previous was 70-80MP and we seem to be now getting half that resolution?

However, if all the video specs are correct and this new camera's Digic X turns out to be workstation class power, maybe the rumours of 80MP come from some sort of IBIS multi shot mode that can combine the images in camera? That would be a nice feature to have as it very much looks like the EOS RS will never be......:(

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Compression is a CPU-intensive process. Imagine zipping a 2 gigabyte file every second.
I hadn't looked at it in detail previously, but the compression going on in the 1DX III seems remarkable. In its 5.5K 60p 12-bit RAW video mode, uncompressed Bitrate should be:

5496*2904*60*12 = 10,959 Mbit/s

That's assuming this is true RAW data, not debayered or anything. Yet Canon quotes about 2600 Mbps as the data rate. That's less than 1/4. I wonder how lossless it is.

No, REDs handle more, but they're expensive and write to ultra-fast SSDs.
Correct me if I'm wrong, I think RED is still stuck with plain old SATA SSDs?

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Photography itself isn't art. Processing, using and exposing it to the public makes it art.
Utter hog wash. Google: Ming Thein photography. See some images. Photography is an art of capturing light. Art of composition, exposing an inner beauty of your subject.
You cannot turn a snapshot into a state of art by processing. Photography is a story telling. There is no point processing a snapshot that tells no story.

• Love
Upvote 0

bbb34

5D mk V
Jul 24, 2012
Amsterdam
If you build everything in the scene, that's art. If there's a person in it (or a plant, or other naturally-occurring object), then it's not, it's craft, skill and technique,

[...]

I think it's interesting that all those start with nothing, except photography. Photography starts with some sort of scene. If you create the scene, that's art. If you don't, it's not, at least to me.
  • Painters start with a canvas and paint. Only few of them produce their own materials from other materials. Either way, they start with existing materials.
  • Mosaics start from tiles.
  • Printmaking starts from a matrix.
  • Calligraphy starts with pen or brush, and paper or canvas.
  • Architecture starts from a landscape.
  • Pottery starts from existing clay.
  • Sculpture start from an existing chunk of material.
  • Conceptual art is different. ;)
  • Poetry starts from existing language.
  • Music starts from existing scales, patterns, and instruments.
Neither of these crafts produce only art. Lots of the outcome of all of them is ordinary.

Photography fits well into this list. An existing scene and existing objects or subjects may be used. The light coming from the scene is the paint. The camera is the canvas. There is no commonly accepted rule when a photograph is ordinary, and when it becomes art. Fact is, that there are photographs that are beautiful, have a message, are touching, are difficult to reproduce, or stand above the scene they emerge from. Photographic art is some combination of these.

Enjoying art is subjective, but the classification into art and not art is a matter of common perception.

Many pieces of art require the observer to become aware of the context and/or the artists intentions. Without such additional information, the point of the artwork often remains concealed.

Open your mind, and you will see more of a beautiful world.

• Love
Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2017
This camera Canon want like 5D Mark II: sold out more than 12 months after release. Body have patent for EF+RF?

My guess: an SLR is even more complex and costly to produce, e.g. it needs a separate phase AF sensor etc. ...

Mirror, mirror box, prism. All add expense.

Very wierd that all the talk previous was 70-80MP and we seem to be now getting half that resolution?

That camera later. Not this camera.

Risking some 30-ish photos at a time. Not thousands Shots at a time Right?

Buy smaller card, less photos, less risk. 8x8GB, 1 card bad, 1/8 photos gone. 2x32GB, 1 card bad, 1/2 photos gone.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I think it's interesting that all those start with nothing, except photography. Photography starts with some sort of scene. If you create the scene, that's art. If you don't, it's not, at least to me.
I won't argue your opinion is wrong as long as you're also fine with others seeing things as art that you don't.

But I'm curious about a thing. You said logic plays a big role in how your opinion is formed. And that art is the act or product of taking something, which has a shape or character that you consider 'nothing' (Like a blob of paint or lump of clay) and giving it a shape and character that you came up with. That's how I understand your position.

If that is correct, it is incomplete, as it doesn't exclude things like the dishes in my kitchen or the chairs in my living room from being art. What element has to be added to the product or process of art, to differentiate it from creation of such commodities in your view?

Like I said, a question out of curiosity, not because I want to belittle or discredit your perception of art.

Upvote 0

However, if all the video specs are correct and this new camera's Digic X turns out to be workstation class power, maybe the rumours of 80MP come from some sort of IBIS multi shot mode that can combine the images in camera? That would be a nice feature to have as it very much looks like the EOS RS will never be......:(
Could be true.
I use this feature on the Sony 7RIV, but if you go pixelpeeping, you find a lot of pixel-errors because of movements in landscape e.g. Works, if the object is really static.

Upvote 0