Canon EOS R5 Specifications

Photography is not an art? What Does it mean to you then? Just courious

Yes if photography was not an art everyone could take great pictures. There would be no distinction. I am not sure how anyone could look at the portraits taken by Newman and say they are not art, but to each their own.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
This camera Canon want like 5D Mark II: sold out more than 12 months after release. Body have patent for EF+RF?

Mirror, mirror box, prism. All add expense.

That camera later. Not this camera.

Buy smaller card, less photos, less risk. 8x8GB, 1 card bad, 1/8 photos gone. 2x32GB, 1 card bad, 1/2 photos gone.
Yeah, I am taking about a thousand photos per hour when shooting sports or theatre. That’s your 32gb card full. Do you suggest that I Should replace 8gb cards every 15 minutes in darkness? Great advise. But no thank you. I shoot writing to 2 x 128Gb cards Simultaneously. That’s what the second card slot is for.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
8k vid in this at a decent consumer price would serve several positives in several markets. One being it would further validate the production and consideration of purchasing an 8k TV. 8k is relatively new tech on the general consumers radar, and these companies would love for them to catch on in greater numbers. Canons chess play of bringing 8k 30fps RAW in a more price friendlier consumer product just might be a move it actually considered, realizing the sales potential of this camera in greater numbers that may more than makes up for the similarly specced cameras sold at $10-20k+. 8k 30fps RAW tech can’t stay at astronomical prices forever, and the history of leading edge tech can certainly attest to the trend. Canon just may play a decent role in normalizing this next standard of high definition.

I’m a stills guy through and through, but I can certainly appreciate the tech and can understand why Canon might just add this to a lower priced camera like the R5. Might even get me to toy around with the 4K settings and try my hand at video.

P.S. I’m personally not terribly concerned about the used market being hit drastically, or me losing more value from my vast EF lens collection. Any one that has run a successful photography business had their lenses paid and written off, and the monies made from selling them off for any amount would be a reasonable proposition if you “need” to upgrade to the latest tech. If I need to invest $20-40k+ in an entire new set of equipment that’ll last me for the next 5 years, then it’s a paltry investment considering my return.

Now, if you’re a hobbyist or amateur (someone not able to financially sustain themselves consistently and comfortably from their work) and are buying gear for the trend of it all and don’t really “need” it, then I can see how you’ll want the perfect price points to justify it.This R5 just may be the answer that makes both the professional and hobbyist happy. We shall see! Exciting times ahead.

Upvote 0

bbb34

5D mk V
Jul 24, 2012
Amsterdam
BTW: If the rumors are not true, the intentor of this rumor did a lot of advertise for Canon. Maybe this is profitable for both.

Exactly. I don't believe in all these unintended leakages. I'm convinced this is all part of an orchestrated information theater. Anyway, it doesn't really matter. We get some early information, the opportunity to let off steam, and plenty of entertainment. ;)

Upvote 0
Utter hog wash. Google: Ming Thein photography. See some images. Photography is an art of capturing light. Art of composition, exposing an inner beauty of your subject.
You cannot turn a snapshot into a state of art by processing. Photography is a story telling. There is no point processing a snapshot that tells no story.

Nope. Photography is a physical and in digital era, digital process of capturing images.
It becomes art exactly when you're trying to tell a story or fine tune the composition.

Otherwise photography can be used for scientific or surveying purposes etc. and nobody considers that an artwork.

Upvote 0
I do not care for video too but

That price range for the Europe price hit me hard. I Hope you are wrong!
I cannot even hope to get one cheaper via UK grey importers since after Brexit there will be taxes for the rest of the Europe...
Well... the 1DXIII is (via www) 6500$ in US - and 7300€ in Germany... :eek:
Ordered the 5D IV back in 2016 at 4099€... so 4500 should be possible. I do hope for cheaper prices too.

I do believe, Canon will milk the cow an much as possible.

Upvote 0
so pretty much canon is going from the no-go camera for video to the holly grail if all video mirrorless cameras in one single update?

Some how i think this is a Santa's wish list to Canon other than the real specs of this camera....

Unless someone on Canon got sacked and a new managing guy took over it and change all Canon's ideas of what a great camera should have for specs, i'm 110% sure those specs won't happen in the next 4 years. They only started doing 4K on their cameras 1yr ago, do you have any idea how long its going to take for them to add 8K???? not to mention there isn't technology available to do that on a mirrorless camera yet.

So i wouldn't even hope for this kind of specs on a Canon camera anytime soon.

errr you dont remember the EOS 5D MKII?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
It can't have a crop at 8K because the sensor has barely enough res for 8K

But what if the 8K 30fps thing is just like the RAW burst mode the EOS-M6-II has?
Wikipedia writes:
Bildseiten-
verhältnis
SpaltenZeilenPixelanzahl
(Megapixel)
4:38192614450,3
16:98192460837,7
≈17:9 (8K)8192432035,3
16:9 (UHD-II)7680432033,2
3:26480432028,0
4:35760432024,9
1:14320432018,7

So, just an question of definition. UHD-II should be possible

Upvote 0

Alex784

EOS R3
Jan 9, 2020
Canada
Well... the 1DXIII is (via www) 6500$ in US - and 7300€ in Germany... :eek:
Ordered the 5D IV back in 2016 at 4099€... so 4500 should be possible. I do hope for cheaper prices too.

I do believe, Canon will milk the cow an much as possible.
6500$ in US + sales taxes.

6.850€ in Switzerland incl. VAT and you can get the 5% VAT back if you make your purchase stamped...

Upvote 0

Alex784

EOS R3
Jan 9, 2020
Canada
If it is true and it is really officially announced before CP+ (Feb 27th), then many 1DX3 pre-orders would be cancelled or returned:
indeed, 1DX3 will be released on Feb 13th and people would have 2 weeks to return them.

Personally, I'm no longer sure to keep my 1DX3 if a better and cheaper body will make it obsolete 2 weeks later.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
About time canon
2020 is gonna be a good year

and for the boomers that don’tthink mirrorless is the future well...

Yeah, and the 5D Mark V will be introduced at the same time (ala 90D/M6 Mark II) with the same sensor and most of the same video specs.

Upvote 0
Wikipedia writes:
Bildseiten-
verhältnis
SpaltenZeilenPixelanzahl
(Megapixel)
4:38192614450,3
16:98192460837,7
≈17:9 (8K)8192432035,3
16:9 (UHD-II)7680432033,2
3:26480432028,0
4:35760432024,9
1:14320432018,7
So, just an question of definition. UHD-II should be possible
8K needs 8129 pixels wide. To make photo's you need a 3:2 sensor. So that would be 8192x5460 = 44.7 MP. That will yield 8192x4320 video if you cut off the top and bottom a bit (this is not what is considered a crop). Alternatively, UHD-II needs 7680x5120 pixels on a 3:2 sensor, this is 39 MP.

So if this sensor has 45MP and does 8K video, it won't be a crop in case of real 8K and a slight crop in case of UHD-II.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
What no GPS???? Getting it from a smartphone with Canon Camera Connect is an option but not fail proof. Of course bluetooth spends much less battery than GPS so maybe this is the reason.

Well, it didn't mention any kind of rear LCD screen, either, so I guess it won't have one of those? Right?

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0