Canon EOS R5 Specifications

I guess my big question in all of this is whether or not this is indeed the 5DV equivalent mirrorless, or a replacement for the 5Ds/sR, or an amalgamation of the two lines. I'll admit, this would be a great upgrade from a 5DIV, but as someone who was looking forward to even more resolution, this has me left with mixed feelings.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
did i read the eos r had no ai servo? Hoping this has it. But it would probably be ayear after release that i even think of buying it.

Fine distinction. The R has Servo AF which functions the same as AI Servo does on the 5DIV and other dSLR's. However, the R has nothing explicitly identified as AI Focus, which is supposed to be a hybrid of One Shot AF and AI Servo AF, kicking in the Servo only when the subject starts moving.

I don't know anybody who has done more than try or play with AI Focus.

But, the simple answer is, the R does indeed have AI Servo AF, and it is incredibly precise. But it has been named Servo AF on this model.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2016
This will clearly be the update to the 5DIV if the specs are accurate - if so kudos to Canon for not trying to protect what I imagine is something of an Ef cash cow.

It strikes me that if they really give us IBIS that might help certain lenses like the 28-70/2 L. I have noticed it has come down lot in price both second hand and grey market. I think a lot of that was the 24-70/2.8 IS - finally for the first time Canon shooters had a full frame stabilised 2.8 normal zoom option. If we get IBIS though that means the 28-70 and the EF 24-70/2.8 both get stabilisation and that really opens up some good possibilities - making the 28-70 very feasible as a single lens to replace them all in the normal range, if you can cope with the weight and cost, and the Ef 24-70/2.8L as a very good priced way in.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I guess my big question in all of this is whether or not this is indeed the 5DV equivalent mirrorless, or a replacement for the 5Ds/sR, or an amalgamation of the two lines. I'll admit, this would be a great upgrade from a 5DIV, but as someone who was looking forward to even more resolution, this has me left with mixed feelings.
We cannot know but the rumors are that later a big mpixel body wil arrive. However a 45mpixel with imrpoved sensor and so many fps looks very promising in replacing both 5DMkIV and 5DsR (but we do not know whether it will have AA filter or not).

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
This will clearly be the update to the 5DIV if the specs are accurate - if so kudos to Canon for not trying to protect what I imagine is something of an Ef cash cow.

It strikes me that if they really give us IBIS that might help certain lenses like the 28-70/2 L. I have noticed it has come down lot in price both second hand and grey market. I think a lot of that was the 24-70/2.8 IS - finally for the first time Canon shooters had a full frame stabilised 2.8 normal zoom option. If we get IBIS though that means the 28-70 and the EF 24-70/2.8 both get stabilisation and that really opens up some good possibilities - making the 28-70 very feasible as a single lens to replace them all in the normal range, if you can cope with the weight and cost, and the Ef 24-70/2.8L as a very good priced way in.
Of course IBIS will be available on the new R bodies. This month I got RF24-70 2.8L IS and RF15-35 2.8L IS !

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Probably documentation, but it depends on how much of the scene they created.

I've been to many art museums in many cities and I've been to many art shows, and I've never seen any photography I'd call art, from any photographer. Some people who have seen some of my photography think it's art, even though I don't.
It doesn't matter if you call it art or not, it's not up to you or anyone else, it's art if the artist calls it art. Performance art, graffiti, bucket drumming in subways, skywriting, I don't care, it's not your call.The art argument will never be 'won', it's been going on since the dawn of time, it's far too amorphous and intangible of a concept overall. Now, declaring what you don't like is one thing, and I will always agree to disagree on artistic viewpoints but you sir cannot dictate what is and what is not art. You probably have a hard time as well with greenish blue and blueish green.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
And my point was that photography sticks out as the one on that is captured instead of created.
I'm kicking myself for being goaded into responding, but your responses are so absurd I can't help myself. Sorry fellow forum-ites, I really will try after this.

So, you are saying that Jeff Wall, Cindy Sherman, Jerry Uelsmann (to use just three examples) are artists because they create their images, but Robert Frank and Ansel Adams would not be artists because they interpret an existing scene before their eyes. And where would Edward Weston fall then. Are his nudes art because he posed them, but his pepper isn't because he selected it?

You really need to quit while you are behind.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
And my point was that photography sticks out as the one on that is captured instead of created.

Drawing, painting, sculpture, even composing, are not intrinsically artistic. They're technical skills just like photography. Art is the part where your creation or capture distinguishes itself in some meaningful way from countless similar ones. Henri Cartier-Bresson's skill in picking "the decisive moment" was unquestionably artistic, not technical. Ansel Adam's darkroom work was artistic, not technical. And so on.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Again, we are back to what it means to "capture" something we see. If a person uses a pencil to sketch a scene, he/she is using a tool. But not all sketches are art.

A camera is also a tool for capturing an image. It does not involve the same set of skills as drawing, but it does involve a set of skills that take time to learn. And then there is another set of skills involving more tools to manipulate the image digitally, and yet another set of skills involving yet another set of skills to print.

Perhaps the most difficult set of skills for any of us to learn would be...human skills. Networking, self-promoting, finding and working with patrons, and generally avoiding upsetting the wrong people. Being good at this could be called an art too!

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I'm kicking myself for being goaded into responding, but your responses are so absurd I can't help myself. Sorry fellow forum-ites, it really will try after this.

So, you are saying that Jeff Wall, Cindy Sherman, Jerry Uelsmann (to use just three examples) are artists because they create their images, but Robert Frank and Ansel Adams would not be artists because they interpret an existing scene before their eyes. And where would Edward Weston fall then. Are his nudes art because he posed them, but his pepper isn't because he selected it?

Does this mean in his his skewered view, my cyanotypes are art but my scanned E-6 slides are not?

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I'm kicking myself for being goaded into responding, but your responses are so absurd I can't help myself. Sorry fellow forum-ites, I really will try after this.

Don't kick yourself! Any thread longer than 400 or so replies is due for a good hijacking!

• Haha
Upvote 0

Lenscracker

Old Prospector from 1944
CR Pro
Jun 28, 2013
Bucksnort, Ohio
Is the person behind SonyAlphaRumors ghost-writing a CR post? This has got to be a contender for the biggest load of "wishful thinking rumor" I've ever read.

The more shocking thing is that half the commenters here aren't even questioning it. Did it not raise any eyebrows that the rumor has a bunch of insane specs, paired with something as silly and minor as "no touch bar"? Red flag!

Speaking of "red", ...you do realize that 8K RAW is usually reserved for $15-30K cameras, right?
I, for one, do not care what the video specs are because I do not use that. Canon can lie about those specs all they want.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
Drawing, painting, sculpture, even composing, are not intrinsically artistic. They're technical skills just like photography. Art is the part where your creation or capture distinguishes itself from countless similar ones.

So, what makes art art is that someone thinks it's good or different? That makes no sense at all, especially in the light of this above:

"It doesn't matter if you call it art or not, it's not up to you or anyone else, it's art if the artist calls it art. "

Putting your comment and that one together means that anyone can call their own stuff "good" and therefore it's "art".

Here's a definition: "the conscious use of skill and creative imagination especially in the production of aesthetic objects "

My argument is simple - there is very little "creative imagination" involved in producing photographs - even ones other people would call "art" - compared to that which goes into creating real art, such as paintings, musical compositions, fictional plays, or sculptures. Photography is documentation, even when done really well in an aesthetically pleasing way.

• Sad
Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
Perhaps the most difficult set of skills for any of us to learn would be...human skills. Networking, self-promoting, finding and working with patrons, and generally avoiding upsetting the wrong people. Being good at this could be called an art too!

Perhaps. For me, that set of skills ("Networking, self-promoting, finding and working with patrons") is so excruciating that I actively try to avoid doing it.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
We cannot know but the rumors are that later a big mpixel body wil arrive. However a 45mpixel with imrpoved sensor and so many fps looks very promising in replacing both 5DMkIV and 5DsR (but we do not know whether it will have AA filter or not).
Part of me still wonders if they'll come at the same time if it's two bodies - I would bet they'd use the same chassis like the 5DIII and 5DsR, so aligning their launches dates could make some sense. Or if the February announcement will include launch of the high resolution body and development announcement for the R5. From a timing perspective, July (plus or minus a month) has been common for 5D releases, while the 5Ds/sR was previously released in Feb. We've heard so may rumours about the high resolution body coming first and in Feb that I am still holding out hope! I guess we'll know soon

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
I see Sony is getting desperate, trying to draw attention away from a 45Mpx 8K RF mount monster with accusations its just all a waste of time as it just wont create "art".... unlike the A7R IV in your hands

Are you suggesting I work for Sony? I do renewable energy research at a national laboratory.

Upvote 0

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
Correct.

They are - because of the interpretation. They are adding their own creativity to what is there.

I've seen many artists paint landscapes in a studio - landscapes they came up with entirely from their mind based on past experiences and their own imagination. That's art. Shooting a picture of a landscape, no matter how expertly done, isn't art to me, it's skill.

It's funny how many photographers defend photography as an art. I think it's insecurity - they are unwilling as a group to admit they do photography because they aren't very artistic. I just happen to be a photographer that's willing to admit that fact, and that's uncomfortable to many people. I think most people who call themselves "fine art photographers" would be painters if they had the talent and skill to do so. They don't, so they took up photography. Some then became greatly skilled in photography, and there's nothing at all wrong with that. In fact, I think it takes a lot of skill to become good at at least some types of photography, probably most types.

Lee you have obviously put a lot of thought into this, so kudos for that effort.

I would point out a few things to you however:

1. Any particular scene is what it is, and I suppose for the casual snapshooter that points a camera at said scene and presses the shutter button could be viewed as non-artistic expression... BUT...

2. The tools of a photographer consist of lens choice (which goes a long way in deciding perspective), DOF choice, shutter speed choice, and last but not least the composition itself. Example being one guy snaps a shot of a waterfall and it is somewhat documentary. Another "photographer" studies the scene and decides where to place certain elements in that scene, how much attention to draw to that element through composition as well as lens choice, then may place further emphasis on that particular element through the choice of aperture or shutterspeed (in short, creativity with the tools at hand)... and THAT

3. Is the first place in which photography becomes an art, THEN

4. After the scene is captured, you get into post-processing. In days past what we consider post-processing now, was done in a dark room with dodging, burning, even composite images but using multiple exposures or multiple frames. More currently those steps are handled through tools like Lightroom and Photoshop. Regardless of the times, there is another element of art and creativity that happens in this step as well.

So while your particular view might be considered valid for some shots, I suspect the majority of the people you are conversing with here fall into the latter group or they wouldn't be on a site such as this. If you don't think using the principles of exposure, composition, perspective are tools of artistic expression then you are certainly welcome to your opinion but I think that view is significantly short-sighted.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
Lee you have obviously put a lot of thought into this, so kudos for that effort.

I would point out a few things to you however:

1. Any particular scene is what it is, and I suppose for the casual snapshooter that points a camera at said scene and presses the shutter button could be viewed as non-artistic expression... BUT...

2. The tools of a photographer consist of lens choice (which goes a long way in deciding perspective), DOF choice, shutter speed choice, and last but not least the composition itself. Example being one guy snaps a shot of a waterfall and it is somewhat documentary. Another "photographer" studies the scene and decides where to place certain elements in that scene, how much attention to draw to that element through composition as well as lens choice, then may place further emphasis on that particular element through the choice of aperture or shutterspeed (in short, creativity with the tools at hand)... and THAT

3. Is the first place in which photography becomes an art, THEN

4. After the scene is captured, you get into post-processing. In days past what we consider post-processing now, was done in a dark room with dodging, burning, even composite images but using multiple exposures or multiple frames. More currently those steps are handled through tools like Lightroom and Photoshop. Regardless of the times, there is another element of art and creativity that happens in this step as well.

So while your particular view might be considered valid for some shots, I suspect the majority of the people you are conversing with here fall into the latter group or they wouldn't be on a site such as this. If you don't think using the principles of exposure, composition, perspective are tools of artistic expression then you are certainly welcome to your opinion but I think that view is significantly short-sighted.

I'm in the later group, and I don't consider what I do "art" because I didn't create what I'm shooting, only how I'm shooting it, just like the audio technician at a recording session isn't creating the music, only capturing it. Why isn't that occupation (which requires no less skill than that of a great photographer) accepted as "art"?

Maybe it's art when I'm shooting a model airplane I built, because I did create that scene.

• Haha
Upvote 0