Canon EOS R5 Specifications

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
Correct.

They are - because of the interpretation. They are adding their own creativity to what is there.

I've seen many artists paint landscapes in a studio - landscapes they came up with entirely from their mind based on past experiences and their own imagination. That's art. Shooting a picture of a landscape, no matter how expertly done, isn't art to me, it's skill.

It's funny how many photographers defend photography as an art. I think it's insecurity - they are unwilling as a group to admit they do photography because they aren't very artistic. I just happen to be a photographer that's willing to admit that fact, and that's uncomfortable to many people. I think most people who call themselves "fine art photographers" would be painters if they had the talent and skill to do so. They don't, so they took up photography. Some then became greatly skilled in photography, and there's nothing at all wrong with that. In fact, I think it takes a lot of skill to become good at at least some types of photography, probably most types.

It's not. I don't give a shit whether anyone else considers my photos art or not.

That being said, there is no logical consistency in your position of considering a painter of a landscape and a photographer of a landscape two different things. You just said the painter's "interpretation" of a landscape is why it is art, bringing up doing it from their mind's eye in a studio - so if they sit on their porch and paint what they see, are they then not artists?

How the picture gets there is a product of a camera and a lens, of course, but it's not that simple. Focal length, aperture, and exposure time play a significant role into how that scene is represented, as well as the photographer's framing and positioning. In Ansel's day, there was the processing and printing steps; now it's all done on a computer, but there is still the notion of "dodging and burning", etc. And even "painters" use computers, in the case of comic book illustrators and others, who are definitely artists by my definition (and seemingly yours).

The bottom line is you could send two people to the same spot at the same time with the same camera and lens and result in a physical output that looks totally different. You could also send the same camera file to two different people, who would do different things with it. Perhaps your point is that the photographer is less important than the finishing in terms of art, but if a photographer achieves what they intended in-camera, they shouldn't be "penalized" for that.

Arguments aside, art is not defined by a dictionary. It's defined by the artist and their audience. Your argument is as wrong-headed to me as those who used to suggest that rap isn't music, but it doesn't matter what I think - people who pay for art, and museums and publishers who provide it, have already decided that you are wrong.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Alex784

EOS R3
Jan 9, 2020
Canada
Thanks. But hat problems with CPS, as Switzerland is not in the EU

Then, even better: you'd better buy it in Germany (it is a business expense) at 7299€=5912€+VAT and you'd get your 19% VAT back and lower your income tax a little bit. In your case, it is a tool; in my case, it is a toy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

photographer

CR Pro
Jan 17, 2020
Is photography art or not? An endless debate that I will not engage in. Just this one link.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Well I am still finding it too good to be true. Is this the clue that this is a joke? I mean mirror-less camera shooting in mechanical mode?
Mirrorless cameras still use a mechanical shutter, so there is still some fast-moving parts in there. An electronic shutter doesn't have the moving parts. The a9ii can only do 20 fps with electronic shutter, and drops down to 10 fps with a mechanical shutter. I wouldn't take this as a sign that it's a joke - this would be faster than then a9II in mechanical, and equivalent in electronic mode.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
That being said, there is no logical consistency in your position of considering a painter of a landscape and a photographer of a landscape two different things. You just said the painter's "interpretation" of a landscape is why it is art, bringing up doing it from their mind's eye in a studio - so if they sit on their porch and paint what they see, are they then not artists?

If they paint is exactly as they see, pixel-for-pixel (so-to-speak) then they aren't. If they change elements, change colors, change style, and so forth, then they are.

How the picture gets there is a product of a camera and a lens, of course, but it's not that simple. Focal length, aperture, and exposure time play a significant role into how that scene is represented, as well as the photographer's framing and positioning.

It's still a cold, thoughtless, rote recording of what the camera is pointed at.

The bottom line is you could send two people to the same spot at the same time with the same camera and lens and result in a physical output that looks totally different.

That they are different doesn't make either one of them art. Neither came from their mind, both came from nature.

You could also send the same camera file to two different people, who would do different things with it. Perhaps your point is that the photographer is less important than the finishing in terms of art, but if a photographer achieves what they intended in-camera, they shouldn't be "penalized" for that.

I never said anything about "less important" or "penalized". Not being "art" isn't an insult. To me, it's a complement. "Art" isn't "above" craft, technique or skill, it's just different.

Arguments aside, art is not defined by a dictionary. It's defined by the artist and their audience.

Then the word has no meaning.

Your argument is as wrong-headed to me as those who used to suggest that rap isn't music

To quote one of my favorite songs (don't worry, you've never heard of it), "and now the oxymoron of all oxymorons, rap music!".

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
Either way, the outcome of this is gonna be funny:

a. CR guy just got trolled hard, in a way that's gonna hurt if the camera way under-delivers.

b. Even funnier, the company whose last mirrorless release included crop 4k, no 1080p24, and no DPAF in 4k; and who offers no 4k mode without crop or 4k60 mode on anything but a 1D line, is suddenly jumping right to 4k120 an possibly an 8k mode. Which would be a WILD turn in expectations

Hopefully we only have to wait a week or so to find out

Upvote 0
---They are - because of the interpretation. They are adding their own creativity to what is there.

I've seen many artists paint landscapes in a studio - landscapes they came up with entirely from their mind based on past experiences and their own imagination. That's art. Shooting a picture of a landscape, no matter how expertly done, isn't art to me, it's skill.
What are your thoughts on photos that receive substantial post production (i.e. color swapping, dodging/burning, warping, removal of distractions or chosen elements, etc.)? Does it then cease to be photography and become art or is it something else entirely? One could argue a photo that receives aggressive post production has similar creative choices that would be made by a landscape painter in this case, but certainly there are those that don't think of that as photography either.

Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
It's still a cold, thoughtless, rote recording of what the camera is pointed at.

Maybe in how you take photos, but not most people. Using aperture to control background defocus, and slow shutter speeds to blur running water being 2 prominent examples used by nearly everyone. Behind perspective/framing, those are two of the most impactful decisions a photographic artist can make which changes the emotional impact of a particular scene.

That they are different doesn't make either one of them art. Neither came from their mind, both came from nature.

I really have no clue where you came up with this definition. This isn't what the general public thinks. It isn't what artists, even painters and sculptors, think. It isn't what they teach in college. It doesn't inform art gallery purchasing decisions. This is like some idea you came up with drunk one day and have continued to hold on to (and fight about), like flat earthers.

I never said anything about "less important" or "penalized". Not being "art" isn't an insult. To me, it's a complement. "Art" isn't "above" craft, technique or skill, it's just different.

Then why are you making such a big deal about it, here, in this thread, on this page? Your defense of the term is to attribute it with some sort of value or prestige beyond the other words listed.

Then the word has no meaning.

It does. I already explained it in a previous reply.

To quote one of my favorite songs (don't worry, you've never heard of it), "and now the oxymoron of all oxymorons, rap music!".

Color me surprised that you can't appreciate rap music. And that you have made assumptions about songs I know and don't, unless you are referring to something you wrote and recorded and never published.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
May 12, 2015
Well I am still finding it too good to be true. Is this the clue that this is a joke? I mean mirror-less camera shooting in mechanical mode?
This is a spec better than the new Sony A9 II which has 10 fps mechanical and 20 fps electronic.....
Sony said it couldn't push their mp above 24 mp with their current tech. So if this camera specs are true it is a game changer. Hoping for good ISO, AF and dynamic range....

An official announcement cannot happen fast enough.....but waiting until July will be a very very long wait to purchase one.

Upvote 0

Alex784

EOS R3
Jan 9, 2020
Canada
Why? 1DX3 have many important pro features not in 5D/R5.

Sure, but since I'm not a pro (it's almost mostly for taking pictures of my cat :) ), I guess I would sacrifice 4fps to have more MP (I usually zoom and crop), IBIS and RF mount. Actually, a Canon mirrorless equivalent of Nikon D850 (timelapse, macro focus shift, tilting screen etc) would be a perfect all-around camera for me .

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 12.45.52.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 12.45.52.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
Maybe in how you take photos, but not most people. Using aperture to control background defocus, and slow shutter speeds to blur running water being 2 prominent examples used by nearly everyone.

Including me.

I really have no clue where you came up with this definition.

"the conscious use of skill and creative imagination especially in the production of aesthetic objects "

Key words, "creative" and "imagination". Also note the "and".

This isn't what the general public thinks. It isn't what artists, even painters and sculptors, think. It isn't what they teach in college. It doesn't inform art gallery purchasing decisions. This is like some idea you came up with drunk one day and have continued to hold on to (and fight about), like flat earthers.

I've never been drunk and I just showed it to you from the dictionary.

Wiki has something similar:

"Art is a diverse range of human activities in creating visual, auditory or performing artifacts (artworks), expressing the author's imaginative, conceptual ideas, or technical skill, intended to be appreciated for their beauty or emotional power. "

Key words, "imaginative" and "conceptual". The only thing I disagree with there is the word "or", which is "and" in the dictionary.

that you have made assumptions about songs I know and don't, unless you are referring to something you wrote and recorded and never published.

You're right, it's an assumption. Were you inside the Marin Center near San Francisco in April of 2000, which is the only time that song was performed?

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011

Mirrorless cameras still use mechanical shutters. 12 fps would be mechanical shutter (no or minimum rolling shutter effect; reduced flicker effects) and 20 fps would be electronic 'shutter' with the mechanical locked open (rolling shutter effects and more prone to flicker).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Mirrorless cameras still use mechanical shutters. 12 fps would be mechanical shutter (no or minimum rolling shutter effect; reduced flicker effects) and 20 fps would be electronic 'shutter' with the mechanical locked open (rolling shutter effects and more prone to flicker).
And many times banding (not the one that used to exist in the shadows! A very obvious one even in well lit photos!) I assume it depends on artificial lighting.

Upvote 0