Canon EOS R5 Specifications

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
This is a spec better than the new Sony A9 II which has 10 fps mechanical and 20 fps electronic.....
Sony said it couldn't push their mp above 24 mp with their current tech. So if this camera specs are true it is a game changer. Hoping for good ISO, AF and dynamic range....

I would not expect this camera's electronic shutter to be on par with the A9II. That camera has almost global shutter-like performance, stumbling only under some specific LED lighting conditions. Once you get into the specifics of electronic shutters, it's not always apples to apples. That sensor also doesn't have the DR as the A7 series. So, I'd expect some skew/rolling shutter issues with this camera, though with the specs being tossed around I'd hope for better performance than the 1DX3.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
"the conscious use of skill and creative imagination especially in the production of aesthetic objects "

Key words, "creative" and "imagination". Also note the "and".
Merriam-Webster defines photography as art:

"the art or process of producing images by the action of radiant energy and especially light on a sensitive surface (such as film or an optical sensor)"

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
If these specs are true then this camera has certainly caught my eye. I've been waiting to see Canon's rumored 83mp R model. But if they use a weaker AA filter in the R5 like in the 5Ds and 1DX3 then 45mp is high resolution in its own right. I would still like to see that rumored 83mp sensor but I wouldn't have any complaints about 45mp.

The video specs seem too good to be true. In the Sony line the A73 produces better footage than the A7r3 and A7r4 because the former is 6k-to-4k oversampled while the latter use either binning or line skipping. I wonder if Canon has found an algorithm or chip design that lets them produced oversampled like footage from a >6k resolution sensor? If they did...if the R5 is full width 4k with DPAF...then this is going to be a killer camera in the video market. It will also be a wedding photographer's dream camera.

I know I'm in the minority on this, but I sincerely hope Canon releases a 5D mark V with the same specs but a DSLR body. If it exists I would also love to see their 83mp sensor in both an R and DSLR body. I'm sorry, but I still prefer OVF, DSLR form/handling with big lenses, and DSLR battery life. If they shipped both mirrorless and DSLR versions of the R5 (or an 83mp R5s) I could absolutely see myself owning one of each.

Come on Canon...one more generation of DSLRs. For some of us EVFs just aren't quite there yet.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
Merriam-Webster defines photography as art:

"the art or process of producing images by the action of radiant energy and especially light on a sensitive surface (such as film or an optical sensor)"

If we've reached the point in the conversation where we're dragging out the dictionary, I think we can agree to disagree and get back to what's important:

Speculating about card slots.

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
It's not. I don't give a shit whether anyone else considers my photos art or not.

That being said, there is no logical consistency in your position of considering a painter of a landscape and a photographer of a landscape two different things. You just said the painter's "interpretation" of a landscape is why it is art, bringing up doing it from their mind's eye in a studio - so if they sit on their porch and paint what they see, are they then not artists?

How the picture gets there is a product of a camera and a lens, of course, but it's not that simple. Focal length, aperture, and exposure time play a significant role into how that scene is represented, as well as the photographer's framing and positioning. In Ansel's day, there was the processing and printing steps; now it's all done on a computer, but there is still the notion of "dodging and burning", etc. And even "painters" use computers, in the case of comic book illustrators and others, who are definitely artists by my definition (and seemingly yours).

The bottom line is you could send two people to the same spot at the same time with the same camera and lens and result in a physical output that looks totally different. You could also send the same camera file to two different people, who would do different things with it. Perhaps your point is that the photographer is less important than the finishing in terms of art, but if a photographer achieves what they intended in-camera, they shouldn't be "penalized" for that.

Arguments aside, art is not defined by a dictionary. It's defined by the artist and their audience. Your argument is as wrong-headed to me as those who used to suggest that rap isn't music, but it doesn't matter what I think - people who pay for art, and museums and publishers who provide it, have already decided that you are wrong.
In fairness, he has specifically said that to him, it is not art. There is no right or wrong. While people, museums, and publishers determine what is art "for themselves" it is also the viewer's opinion of what art is to "himself". Not all people see the same things as art regardless of what it costs or who puts it out there... sort of like my thought that there is nothing special about a Picasso or Warhol. Not all painting is art. Same holds for photography. Same for artisan made butter or olive oil.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
The point is if video supports 120fps at 4K it has to support at least 240fps at FHD although with the same transfer rates it has to support 480 at FHD. I do not believe it will...

The processing power and heat will be the main issue. If it's compressed at H.264, a decent 8K image would be around 400-600 mbps, which isn't far from the bit rate of 4K Motion JPEG that Canon used to use. A compressed 10 bit H.265 would likely run around 800 mbps, which is around the rate for 1080 RAW with Magic Lantern on the 5D Mark III.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
The point is if video supports 120fps at 4K it has to support at least 240fps at FHD although with the same transfer rates it has to support 480 at FHD. I do not believe it will...
Eh not so sure about that. You still have to have a buffer and cpu that can code that many individual frames per second regardless. Think in terms of moving files on a computer. What is faster? 100GB of 1 file? Or 100GB of 100 files. Same cpu and buffer and amount of data. Takes longer to move the 100 files still. Would assume this would be just as applicable inside a camera writing individual video frames. Again we are also assuming all these specs are internal recording. Some of these higher frame rates like 4k120 may well be capable but only via external recording. We’ve seen that several times over the years from Panasonic and Sony and even Fuji I think

Upvote 0
Then, even better: you'd better buy it in Germany (it is a business expense) at 7299€=5912€+VAT and you'd get your 19% VAT back and lower your income tax a little bit. In your case, it is a tool; in my case, it is a toy.
Would be GREAT, but not possible, as I´m retired. No tax inspector would believe that an >80 years old man needs photographic equipment for his business :D

Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI

"the conscious use of skill and creative imagination especially in the production of aesthetic objects "

Key words, "creative" and "imagination". Also note the "and".

So the actual problem is not your definition of art, but your definition of "creative" in terms of art. Ok.

Creative, same dictionary: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/creative

"marked by the ability or power to create : given to creating"

Well ok, that's not helpful yet. But it links to the definition for "create": https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/create

"1. to bring into existence"

Photographers do that! The scene may or may not be created, but the photograph is! Regardless if it's just a file, or a print, or metallic, or whatever. The photograph, like a painting or sculpture, is "brought into existence". This is irrelevant to the scene being represented, which was the condition you stipulated earlier. Or in short, it's like grammatical sentence structure - art is the "object", the medium upon which the subject is represented. Either can be anything, because it is defined by the artist and their audience.

2 and 3 are not relevant.

"4a to produce through imaginative skill"

Imaginative skill - that's artistic photography!

If I do nothing but open the box, charge the battery, attach the lens, turn it on, point indiscriminately, and press the button, that is probably not an artistic statement. Even photojournalism is purposeful, and at times results in artistic results. Art can be accidental (in other words, something creatively accomplished which lacks a skill component - more on this in a second). However, I will ignore that for the sake of this discussion.

But artistic photography DOES involve "imaginative skill". In the case of a landscape, a photographic artist must have a mind's eye view of the end result they want to produce, which may or may not be targeting an exact reproduction - that's the IMAGINATION - and then they must have the SKILL to set the camera appropriately, and treat the resulting file (or film) accordingly to achieve that imagined result. You have been suggesting photography is not "art" because it's a "skill" when your own definition of "art" includes "skill" right in it! There is certainly photography which is definitively not art; for example test charts for the purpose of measurement, or photographing scientific specimens for the purpose of education. But there is also photography done for the purpose of artistic expression, and I'm sorry you've yet to witness any in your time because it can be truly breathtaking; as much as any painting or sculpture you've ever seen.

Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
In fairness, he has specifically said that to him, it is not art. There is no right or wrong. While people, museums, and publishers determine what is art "for themselves" it is also the viewer's opinion of what art is to "himself". Not all people see the same things as art regardless of what it costs or who puts it out there... sort of like my thought that there is nothing special about a Picasso or Warhol. Not all painting is art. Same holds for photography. Same for artisan made butter or olive oil.

That's fine, but he's here telling OTHER people "photography is not art". So it's not fair to allow him his opinion when he is chastising others for holding one counter to his world view.

Upvote 0
Mirrorless cameras still use mechanical shutters. 12 fps would be mechanical shutter (no or minimum rolling shutter effect; reduced flicker effects) and 20 fps would be electronic 'shutter' with the mechanical locked open (rolling shutter effects and more prone to flicker).
True, and I´m happy that this mechanical shutter exists. Electronic shutter creats heavy rolling shutter patterns on the Sony A7RIV. And this is not only visible in planes or cars, but in fast flying birds too....

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
That's fine, but he's here telling OTHER people "photography is not art". So it's not fair to allow him his opinion when he is chastising others for holding one counter to his world view.
I never took it that way. He has said, "to me" and "at least not to me" a few times now. The only chastising I see is from those who disagree with him.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
I think I may need to stop following this website.

I do find several of the threads fun and like to keep up with the latest in gear.

But, lately, I found myself wanting a 1DX III. As of today, I may have changed that to wanting two R5s (a potential "forever" camera for me).

All that, and I am completely happy with my 5DIV.....My only real "want" was a few more fps.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0