Canon EOS R5 Specifications

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Superficially I agree with you - if they can make a buck selling a 5D, why not continue produce and sell them? The situation is more complicated than that, and I will illustrate with an example from another industry.

I work in the banking industry (sorry!) and our bank has many retail branches in our metropolitan area. In one particular suburb community we had two branches, and this particular community is growing fairly rapidly due to high costs in the central part of the city pushing people out.

Both branches were profitable, but about 5 years ago we decided to close one of the two and consolidate to the remaining branch about 4 km away. At the time, many of our customers were very angry that we had closed their convenient branch and vowed to close their accounts and go to a competing bank closer to them. Many did.

So why did we do it? There was a technological change that we were trying to stay in front of. Specifically online banking was really starting to negatively impact the walk in traffic numbers. Although the branch was profitable at that point in time, the tea leaves were clear in showing that we would need fewer tellers and other staff to provide banking services in the coming years. Given how the walk in traffic numbers have deteriorated since then, I am certain that had we kept both branches, neither branch would be profitable now.

In terms of Canon, they have openly stated that they want to be the king of mirrorless cameras. If you look at CIPA numbers, it is a smart strategy as DSLR sales have decreased by 32% vs 4.4% for mirrorless in 2019. You don't become king of mirrorless by continuing to develop DSLRs even if some of your existing customers want them. Some of these DSLR customers may leave you, but you may gain back many who had moved to Sony mirrorless over the past few years. In a declining market, you have to rationalize operations and try to take as much market share in the profitable portion as you can.
As others have said, you analogy is flawed. Physical banks are dying, so the decision to close one branch was inevitable. In a few years, the other branch may close as well. Your situation is analogous to cameras only in the sense that compact cameras are being displaced by cell phones. So, Canon has scaled back on point and shoots because there are now about as many people using compact cameras as there are people walking into a bank.

I think you make the same mistake many people on this forum do, which is to assume that Canon can control the choices of consumers. Whereas in reality, Canon and all camera manufacturing are reacting to consumers. Canon saw a growing demand for mirrorless, so they jumped into the market in a big way to snatch as much of the market as possible. I doubt if they really care which format people choose, they just want to make sure they choose Canon. Of course they are going to make their products as attractive as possible, but that is designed to sell cameras and lenses, not migrate people to one format over another.

The EF line of lenses is mature. There is no urgency to add more lenses at this point. Their DSLR lineup is mature. They probably won't be adding new models to the lineup. But, that doesn't mean they won't update the current models in order to win more sales. We don't know anything about the unique costs and shared costs of multiple formats. But, it may not be as significant as people assume. Much of the research and development of one line is probably beneficial to other lines and will allow for new innovations and improvements down the road.

In addition, none of this takes into account the impact of other business divisions. Canon is investing heavily in security and medical lines, no doubt some of the research and development in their cameras and lenses benefit these lines as well and allows them to spread their development costs over a broader base.

The straight line shift from DSLRs to mirrorless only exists in the minds of forum experts. In the real world, it is far more complicated and far too early to make such predictions.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
As others have said, you analogy is flawed. Physical banks are dying, so the decision to close one branch was inevitable. In a few years, the other branch may close as well. Your situation is analogous to cameras only in the sense that compact cameras are being displaced by cell phones. So, Canon has scaled back on point and shoots because there are now about as many people using compact cameras as there are people walking into a bank.

I think you make the same mistake many people on this forum do, which is to assume that Canon can control the choices of consumers. Whereas in reality, Canon and all camera manufacturing are reacting to consumers. Canon saw a growing demand for mirrorless, so they jumped into the market in a big way to snatch as much of the market as possible. I doubt if they really care which format people choose, they just want to make sure they choose Canon. Of course they are going to make their products as attractive as possible, but that is designed to sell cameras and lenses, not migrate people to one format over another.

The EF line of lenses is mature. There is no urgency to add more lenses at this point. Their DSLR lineup is mature. They probably won't be adding new models to the lineup. But, that doesn't mean they won't update the current models in order to win more sales. We don't know anything about the unique costs and shared costs of multiple formats. But, it may not be as significant as people assume. Much of the research and development of one line is probably beneficial to other lines and will allow for new innovations and improvements down the road.

In addition, none of this takes into account the impact of other business divisions. Canon is investing heavily in security and medical lines, no doubt some of the research and development in their cameras and lenses benefit these lines as well and allows them to spread their development costs over a broader base.

The straight line shift from DSLRs to mirrorless only exists in the minds of forum experts. In the real world, it is far more complicated and far too early to make such predictions.
But that's what forums are for! The only way we will know for sure if I am right or wrong is if the new 5D comes out or not. So far, I have seen no formal indication that it will be introduced.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
But that's what forums are for! The only way we will know for sure if I am right or wrong is if the new 5D comes out or not. So far, I have seen no formal indication that it will be introduced.
Yes, only time will tell.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Reading this thread is driving me nuts. For god’s sake, people, learn the difference between loose and lose! Crappy usage ruins your credibility. Here’s a hint. Loose means not tight. So What have they got to loose... is nonsensical.
This is a forum with many international members. And it's a forum where many probably type on their smartphone. The things autocorrect or small mistyped can change are often missed when you don't proof read a post. People's credibility should not depend on the small spelling mistakes they make.

Anyway, such hints can certainly be given with less aggressive tone. Your ruining the intended effect if you teach something by talking down to somebody.

- And yes, I messed that word up on purpose ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Do we have any speculation or educated guess about whether the 4k60p will be full sensor readout, or super35 crop like the s1h? I do assume the 4k120p will be a heavy crop perhaps down to 2-3x crop factor...

And if it's full sensor, is it really full sensor with downscaling, or the usual line/column skipping and pixel binning?
Personally, I would appreciate the option to have a crop mode, my goal for this year is to make more macro video and a crop would help a lot with that. As would IBIS :)

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Reading this thread is driving me nuts. For god’s sake, people, learn the difference between loose and lose! Crappy usage ruins your credibility. Here’s a hint. Loose means not tight. So What have they got to loose... is nonsensical.

It isnt nonsensical. The answer is 'arrows'.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Thank you. You do make some good points. The problem I see is that by continuing DSLR development, the EF mount will have to continue. Canon is spending millions on RF mount lens development, and must recoup the costs through the sale of these lenses. So you can see that by introducing new EF cameras, they are in fact competing against the RF mount since the EF cameras obviously cannot fit with RF lenses.

They then have the unenviable situation of making duplicate lenses for two systems, in a sharply declining market. So if overall sales of, say, 70-200 f2.8 lens is shrinking from 20,000 units to 15,000 units per year, you are now splitting that lower sales volume between two different lenses, reducing economies of scale and thus increasing the per unit cost of each lens.

But only Canon knows the exact market situation that they are facing, and it will be interesting to see how they respond - whether to bring out a new 5D or not.

When all of the R&D has already been spent on the EF lens, you're not increasing the per unit cost of each lens by having both RF and EF lenses. That would only be the case if you continue to update the EF line with new lens designs. In the end, revenue is revenue and a sale is a sale. If Canon has already paid off their R&D expense for an EF lens, then the increased profit from selling that lens can be applied to the cost of present or future R&D for the RF line.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016

Not exactly. A 5D Mark V might be shelved for a wide variety of reasons unrelated to your explanation.

Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
This is a forum with many international members.
I wasn’t talking about non-native speakers, whom I would never criticize for such an error. I wasn’t talking about typographical errors or auto-correct errors. I was talking about unread native speakers whose consistently poor usage damages their credibility by raising the question What else don’t they know?

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I wasn’t talking about non-native speakers, whom I would never criticize for such an error. I wasn’t talking about typographical errors or auto-correct errors. I was talking about unread native speakers whose consistently poor usage damages their credibility by raising the question What else don’t they know?
Discrimination based on educational Level isn't cool, Sir.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Can someone explain to me why Canon does not confirm if a 5DV will be launched? What do they have to loose? They still don't know if they will do it by now?

Money. They can loose a lot of money if the majority of market demands mirrorless features but they release a DSLR nobody but a small minority will buy
I meant launching the 5DV as well as the R5. The R5 is about to be launched anyway, so they have that slice of the market covered.

Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019

Then there are the charming geniuses who take a thread about a camera entirely off topic. That makes this forum awesome!

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Not exactly. A 5D Mark V might be shelved for a wide variety of reasons unrelated to your explanation.
You are correct - there could be other reasons not to develop a 5D5.

The primary alternative reason I can think of is very simple: collapsing demand for DSLRs in the market place. According to CIPA, there was a 32% decline in DSLR sales in 2019. Obviously Canon is much more attuned to the market than any customer is, and they may decide that there is just not enough demand to warrant developing a 5D5. They may have even been working on a 5D5 but cancelled the project given what has been happening in the market. We simply don't know and may never know.

Hopefully we get some further information when the R5 is introduced.

Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
Discrimination based on educational Level isn't cool, Sir.
Nor is comically pompous writing, "Sir."

As for "discrimination," I am guilty of no such thing in the negative sense that you use the word. Everyone discriminates; the word means to choose, to evaluate, to decide. You discriminated by choosing to take me to task, for example. We all employ various means in deciding whose writing we will give weight to and whose we will be dubious of. Given two choices, a literate person and a semi-literate person, all else being equal, I will likely opt for the literate person. I reiterate that I am not talking about simple spelling errors or unnoticed auto-correction. Not knowing about advice/advise, its/it's, loose/lose, then/than, there/their, your/you're, et al., is not a spelling error. It is a sign of poor literacy, which interrupts the discourse for careful readers and causes one to wonder what else the writer does not know. I now gift you with the last word on this topic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0