Canon EOS R5 Specifications

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
It was rumored to be announced around february 13th... In 2 days or so... No news about a potential event, no picture leaked, etc. Is it still relevant [sic] to wait for an announcement around the 13th?
What does not waiting for two days mean? Suicide? Buying a different camera that might give you suicidal thoughts due to buyer’s remorse when you learn what Canon has? I would counsel patience.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
What does not waiting for two days mean? Suicide? Buying a different camera that might give you suicidal thoughts due to buyer’s remorse when you learn what Canon has? I would counsel patience.
Some people are so hardhearted! ;) I think we should start stamping our feet until we get another rumour.:cry:

Jack

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Trankilstef

Image making loverEOS R and EOS R5 (soon)
Jan 5, 2020
www.stephanetranquillin.com
I'm just asking myself and others if so close to the rumored announcement date; can we still expect it to be accurate or no. Cause sometimes we already have leaked photos or other informations at this point. Not talking about anything else. Suicide? What the hell? :unsure:

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
I'm just asking myself and others if so close to the rumored announcement date; can we still expect it to be accurate or no. Cause sometimes we already have leaked photos or other informations at this point. Not talking about anything else. Suicide? What the hell? :unsure:
How could anyone here know if the rumor will be proven correct? Glad to hear you’re staying around, regardless. Still counseling patience.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I don't think this is an unreasonable question. Although it should be directed at @Canon Rumors Guy. No one else on this forum would have a clue. (Unless, of course, Canon Australia jumps the gun again.)

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Just my two cents worth. I think the DSLR basically is dead as far as the future of cameras go. Now if for some mythical reason Canon was not able to adapt their EF line of lenses to the R bodies then I would agree that the future would hold a 5DV for it would take some time to rebuild the RF lens line-up. Canon has always been about the glass not the bodies. So with this scenario being erased a 5DV doesn't make much sense. The elephant in the room between mirrorless and DSLR's is EVF refresh rates, shutter speed and for some buffering capacity for tracking fast action photography. The 5D series was never developed with this in mind to begin with so it would not fulfill any of the current limitations that a DSLR has over a mirrorless. There is a big difference between personal preference and performance. The EOS R was basically a mirrorless 5DIV replacement, thou admittedly in a less than stellar configuration for some, (me included). I'm sure when the automobile first appeared many folks saw no reason to replace the horse and buggy. These machines where too expensive, complicated and you now had to take your transportation somewhere else to fuel it instead of be able to feed it yourself. Guess who won.

So are you saying Equus ferus caballus are now extinct?

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I think you are partially correct with growth in smartphones. However, that same CIPA report shows only a 4.4% decrease in mirrorless camera of sales which suggests that mirrorless are taking the lions share of ILC sales.

No it doesn't. If mirrorless is only 25-30% of the market and shrinks by 4.4%, the total market would need to shrink by 64-70% for mirrorless to be about 80% (i.e. "lion's share") of the market. It will probably eventually get there, but not now or in the next couple of years.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
What is interesting is that Canon appears to be set to introduce the updated 850D/rebel. Maybe they are holding their own at this end of the market.

The typical refresh rate for the xx0D series has been 12-18 months. It's been 36 months since the 800D was released. Interpret that however you wish.

Upvote 0
The typical refresh rate for the xx0D series has been 12-18 months. It's been 36 months since the 800D was released. Interpret that however you wish.
The fact that Canon is (presumably) going ahead with this entry level DSLR indicates to me that Canon still sees a market for it.

Some had surmised that the entry level portion of the ILC market would be the first category susceptible to takeover by mirrorless. But Canon must still be selling alot of these.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
The fact that Canon is (presumably) going ahead with this entry level DSLR indicates to me that Canon still sees a market for it.

Some had surmised that the entry level portion of the ILC market would be the first category susceptible to takeover by mirrorless. But Canon must still be selling alot of these.
At this point, Canon is pretty much the only game in town for entry level DS,LRs. If the other manufacturers are going to leave those chips on the table, Canon might as well pick them up.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016

At this point, Canon is pretty much the only game in town for entry level DS,LRs. If the other manufacturers are going to leave those chips on the table, Canon might as well pick them up.

Yet even Canon has slowed down the refresh rate of their mid-entry level Rebels.

Look at the longevity of each model in that series before the replacement was introduced. Canon tends to keep the two most recent xx0D models in their active catalog, with the older of the two dropping off when another model is introduced. The Rebel T4i/650D was an anomaly that had problems with the rubber panels on the exterior turning white after being exposed to human perspiration, and a few people had allergic reactions to the material used. There wasn't much difference between it and the Rebel T5i/700D other than the material used in the rubber panels.

Digital Rebel/300D: 18 months
Rebel XT/350D: 18 months
Rebel Xti/400D: 19 months
Rebel XSi/450D: 14 months
Rebel T1i/500D: 11 months
Rebel T2i/550D: 12 months
Rebel T3i/600D: 16 months
Rebel T4i/650D: 9 months
Rebel T5i/700D: 23 months
Rebel T6i/750D: 24 months
Rebel T7i/800D: 36 months and counting until the official announcement of the T8i/850D...

Upvote 0
Nokishita leaked UK prices for the upcoming Canon products but still no further information on the R5?

This is all too weird considering the announcement is tomorrow. Looks like there either won't be anything R5 related or very vague development story considering there is zero info out there.

Was the R announcement this secretive or was more know at this stage?

Upvote 0