Canon EOS R5 Specifications

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I was just looking at my avatar and musing ... I'm surprised I haven't been called "pecker head".;) Perhaps I need to start saying more controversial things.:)

CR for humour or is it humor.

Me too - where are the rumours with more substance?? Maybe someone is rolling on the floor right now laughing; the sadistic so and so.

Jack

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
There have been several flaky aspects to the F5/F6 rumors including astonishing specs, possible confusion over the specs between the two cameras and some wierdness about announcement dates, with an F5 "announcement" Feb 13 and camera availability in July and the F6 being announced in May and available in June. Maybe the Feb 13 announcement was a piece of this rumor package that was wrong. Or maybe Canon has been very good at keeping a lid on what will happen tomorrow. If so, it seems unlikely that an announcement tomorrow will have much specific information.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I was just looking at my avatar and musing ... I'm surprised I haven't been called "pecker head".;) Perhaps I need to start saying more controversial things.:)

CR for humour or is it humor.

Me too - where are the rumours with more substance?? Maybe someone is rolling on the floor right now laughing; the sadistic so and so.

Jack

I've noticed some of your post are a little pileated....

I'm happy with the DSLR gear I have now but I must say; the R5 is the first mirrorless camera that has really sparked my curiosity and I'm actually looking forward to seeing/hearing some hands on reviews about it.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
If it has the locked out issue the Sony A7R2/3 has, which basically you cannot do anything with the camera settings until the buffer is clear...
If it cannot play back a photo in 1:1 view without seconds of waiting, which the A7R takes,(5D3/4 are super fast in display and nothing is locked out) and if the electronics are overly noticeable vs the mechanical speed....

Then I may as well not update the gear I have. But if these "simple" issues, and the AA filter is removed, I have no issues getting the R5 series with a lens or two. I care ZERO about video, but pretty great for folks who use it.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
If it has the locked out issue the Sony A7R2/3 has, which basically you cannot do anything with the camera settings until the buffer is clear...
If it cannot play back a photo in 1:1 view without seconds of waiting, which the A7R takes,(5D3/4 are super fast in display and nothing is locked out) and if the electronics are overly noticeable vs the mechanical speed....

Then I may as well not update the gear I have. But if these "simple" issues, and the AA filter is removed, I have no issues getting the R5 series with a lens or two. I care ZERO about video, but pretty great for folks who use it.
Th AA will not be removed, that is not the Canon way however it MAY be getting the gentler AA the 1DX3 has.

Upvote 0
Wow... do I need 40mp for my wedding studio clients..? Nope.. They don't want anything submitted larger than 12! I usually give them reduced file sizes that are about 10MP (they are happy if I submitted 8mp!) Do I need 12 or 20 fps..?? Not really... I'm not shooting who knows what is needed for 20fps... I usually have my 7DMk2 set to 4fps, because of the flash recycle time.. and shooting bursts faster than that, leads to black or darker frames.. When I shot for the newspaper, I used EOS 1n bodies.. and shot usually 1 shot at a time... and rarely needed my 6fps top speed.. I didn't miss much action, because I also had a camera with a very responsive shutter release.. For some reason, Canon has always made the shutter lag time Looooooong on the 5 series bodies.. making them pretty much useless for basketball, baseball.. volleyball... or some reaction / jube shots from spectators or the athletes.. It doesn't really matter all that much.. a MS of a loss in time capturing a moment, can be the difference between a good shot and a useless shot.. and the things that I would really like to see on the camera would be:

1. A shutter lag time equal to the 1 series cameras.. or even the 7D2.. I'd be happier if it was at least as fast at the 7D2.. but very happy if it was as fast as the 1Dx3
2. Large Area AF Point Coverage.. I like the wide and tall area of the 7D2.. why did Canon barely expand this on the 5D4 over the 5D3..? The change is pretty much indistinguishable.. The Sony products have a coverage of AF far outside the middle ones, for more creative, isolated photographs. I don't plan to shoot loosely, and then crop it down to size to make it look more interesting.. I hate that... and my eyes aren't as good at manual focus as they used to be, and even if they were, it would be nice to have some sort of focus aid, to see if those things are sharp, or not, outside the center-zone.. I can understand the absolute NEED for center zone AF for things like birds in flight, airshows, football.. etc.. but.. for event photography.. I need to work outside the center box.

3. 8K....... good Lord..! I have seen a back-lash against 4K.. and people resuming 1080..! Heck... I just want 120fps for 1080... That would make me happy...

4. Bright Red AF points to identify the location of the AF point used, like the 5D2 had.. After a few months of using my 5D3 bodies, which didn't have the same distinct brightness of the RED AF point, nearly as visible as the 5D2 had, I had my 5D2 bodies rebuilt by CPS for 800.00 each.....and used them for the next 4 years.. I use them as backups now to the 5D3 bodies that I used to use only for video, until the studios wanted all files, not renamed...and the 5D2 bodies, all their images start with IMG_, not a code number... so I am forced to use the 5D3 bodies.. I never upgraded to the 5D4 bodies.. I didn't like the small incremental update Canon made... but the R5 looks very interesting to me.. I wouldn't mind having 20fps.. or 12... or what ever bell or whistle it has... as long as they get right the things that I would really want from a camera that can detach from the vertical grip, have a PC socket, and still deliver a great image.

5. Honestly, a top sync speed of 1/250ths.... but.... I know...... I know already....l Canon will never, ever do it for a 5-series body.. They gave it to the 20D, 30D, 40D, 50D, 7D, 7D2... costing 1/2 as much... but nope... they just have to keep us FF shooters annoyed, so they don't compete with their 1-series flag ship... grrr..!

How about Canon coming back with a 3-series for a 2nd tier camera model.. The gap between 1 and 5 is huge.. Nikon has a better system IMO in this regard... I can't switch now... too many L lenses......and I'm too old to switch now...

I hope they get it right, for me..

Cheers!

JP

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Regarding 2., you do realize that crop can have greater AF spread and that FF will always be restricted to the central region. I agree that is one limitation that I don't like either but that's only regarding close shots where an eye can't be accommodated and recompose is impractical. Mirrorless has this as a big advantage. I don't do weddings ever.

And I also agree about the illuminated AF points that are so nice to view on the 1DX2 after having had them on the 1D4 and gotten spoiled.

I know any camera below one level is going to disappoint me on a few pet features. One level disappoints me on a few too, like no long exposure built in to my 1DX2.

Jack

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Wow... do I need 40mp for my wedding studio clients..? Nope.. They don't want anything submitted larger than 12! I usually give them reduced file sizes that are about 10MP (they are happy if I submitted 8mp!) Do I need 12 or 20 fps..?? Not really... I'm not shooting who knows what is needed for 20fps... I usually have my 7DMk2 set to 4fps, because of the flash recycle time.. and shooting bursts faster than that, leads to black or darker frames.. When I shot for the newspaper, I used EOS 1n bodies.. and shot usually 1 shot at a time... and rarely needed my 6fps top speed.. I didn't miss much action, because I also had a camera with a very responsive shutter release.. For some reason, Canon has always made the shutter lag time Looooooong on the 5 series bodies.. making them pretty much useless for basketball, baseball.. volleyball... or some reaction / jube shots from spectators or the athletes.. It doesn't really matter all that much.. a MS of a loss in time capturing a moment, can be the difference between a good shot and a useless shot.. and the things that I would really like to see on the camera would be:

1. A shutter lag time equal to the 1 series cameras.. or even the 7D2.. I'd be happier if it was at least as fast at the 7D2.. but very happy if it was as fast as the 1Dx3
2. Large Area AF Point Coverage.. I like the wide and tall area of the 7D2.. why did Canon barely expand this on the 5D4 over the 5D3..? The change is pretty much indistinguishable.. The Sony products have a coverage of AF far outside the middle ones, for more creative, isolated photographs. I don't plan to shoot loosely, and then crop it down to size to make it look more interesting.. I hate that... and my eyes aren't as good at manual focus as they used to be, and even if they were, it would be nice to have some sort of focus aid, to see if those things are sharp, or not, outside the center-zone.. I can understand the absolute NEED for center zone AF for things like birds in flight, airshows, football.. etc.. but.. for event photography.. I need to work outside the center box.

If you have an AF sensor that is the same size, it will take up much more of a smaller crop frame that of a larger full frame.

A FF sensor is 36mm wide. A Canon APS-C sensor is about 22.5mm wide. If the AF sensor covers 16mm, that's less than half the width of a FF sensor and two-thirds the width of an APS-C sensor.

3. 8K....... good Lord..! I have seen a back-lash against 4K.. and people resuming 1080..! Heck... I just want 120fps for 1080... That would make me happy...

4. Bright Red AF points to identify the location of the AF point used, like the 5D2 had.. After a few months of using my 5D3 bodies, which didn't have the same distinct brightness of the RED AF point, nearly as visible as the 5D2 had, I had my 5D2 bodies rebuilt by CPS for 800.00 each.....and used them for the next 4 years.. I use them as backups now to the 5D3 bodies that I used to use only for video, until the studios wanted all files, not renamed...and the 5D2 bodies, all their images start with IMG_, not a code number... so I am forced to use the 5D3 bodies.. I never upgraded to the 5D4 bodies.. I didn't like the small incremental update Canon made... but the R5 looks very interesting to me.. I wouldn't mind having 20fps.. or 12... or what ever bell or whistle it has... as long as they get right the things that I would really want from a camera that can detach from the vertical grip, have a PC socket, and still deliver a great image.

5. Honestly, a top sync speed of 1/250ths.... but.... I know...... I know already....l Canon will never, ever do it for a 5-series body.. They gave it to the 20D, 30D, 40D, 50D, 7D, 7D2... costing 1/2 as much... but nope... they just have to keep us FF shooters annoyed, so they don't compete with their 1-series flag ship... grrr..!

How about Canon coming back with a 3-series for a 2nd tier camera model.. The gap between 1 and 5 is huge.. Nikon has a better system IMO in this regard... I can't switch now... too many L lenses......and I'm too old to switch now...

I hope they get it right, for me..

Cheers!

JP

Flash sync is limited by the transit time of the shutter curtains. A shutter mechanism that can tolerate the same g-forces will always be able to transit a 15mm tall sensor faster than it will be able to transit a 24mm tall sensor.

In addition to the transit times of the first and second shutter curtains, the shutter must be held fully open long enough to trigger the flash and for the flash to fully discharge. Let's assume the shutter must stay open for at least 2 milliseconds for the flash to be fired and dissipate its energy. (That's actually a bit optimistic, as many studio monolites have a T.1 time of longer than 1/500 second.)

1/250 = 4 milliseconds. That leaves 1 millisecond each for the two curtains to transit the APS-C sensor. 1 + 2 + 1 = 4

Travelling at the same speed, if it takes 1 millisecond to cross a 15mm distance it then takes 1.5 milliseconds to cross a 24mm distance.
So now it takes 5 milliseconds instead of four, which gives us a sync speed of 1/200 = 5 milliseconds. 1.5 + 2 + 1.5 = 5

Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
Flash sync is limited by the transit time of the shutter curtains. A shutter mechanism that can tolerate the same g-forces will always be able to transit a 15mm tall sensor faster than it will be able to transit a 24mm tall sensor.

Very helpful. We might also consider that the mass of the moving shutter elements is proportionate to the area. So the moving elements might be double the mass, requiring even more robust actuation elements (or attachment points for whatever transmits force to the moving elements) even after accounting for this. And moreso but to a lesser degree, just as a playing car seems stiff, the same card stock at large scale will be floppy, the elements might need to be still more robust.

Engineers learn fast in many applications that "scale is a b****". In the telescope world, I learned this from the excellent book "The Perfect Machine" about designing and building the 200" Palomar telescope at a time when 100" was the biggest. Personally, I learned this restoring a 7" Questar telescope in the context of experience only with their 3.5" telescopes. "Just scale it up" becomes the type of absurdity we hear from Dilbert's pointy-haired boss.

Upvote 0
I totally agree with the 5Dm2 focus indicator red lights, those were SUPER helpful. And with the 5Dm3, while its a superior camera, BOY do I miss that feature, and it really adds some guess work. Why in the world did they do that? I forget if they fixed that back in the 5Dm4? That was annoying. But with eye detect and dual pixel, I think that will be much clearer than 5Dm3.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I totally agree with the 5Dm2 focus indicator red lights, those were SUPER helpful. And with the 5Dm3, while its a superior camera, BOY do I miss that feature, and it really adds some guess work. Why in the world did they do that? I forget if they fixed that back in the 5Dm4? That was annoying. But with eye detect and dual pixel, I think that will be much clearer than 5Dm3.

They gave the option to have the information displayed in the VF illuminated with a blinking red light, but it's not by default. Two separate menu items must be changed for it to happen all of the time.

Upvote 0