Canon EOS R5 Specifications

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
I totally agree with the 5Dm2 focus indicator red lights, those were SUPER helpful. And with the 5Dm3, while its a superior camera, BOY do I miss that feature, and it really adds some guess work. Why in the world did they do that? I forget if they fixed that back in the 5Dm4? That was annoying. But with eye detect and dual pixel, I think that will be much clearer than 5Dm3.

Canon changed fundamentally how the viewfinder info display works. The AF points and spot metering circle used to be physically etched onto glass, and each point individually lit by a small red led. The 5D3 and most Canon DSLRs since then instead have a transflective LCD screen, so-called "Intelligent Viewfinder", which is more flexible and configurable but makes it difficult to illuminate AF points individually. The 1DX2 does actually have individually lit AF points, but that requires some fancy extra optics in the viewfinder, next to the metering sensor, that project the indicator lights into the user's eye.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Canon changed fundamentally how the viewfinder info display works. The AF points and spot metering circle used to be physically etched onto glass, and each point individually lit by a small red led. The 5D3 and most Canon DSLRs since then instead have a transflective LCD screen, so-called "Intelligent Viewfinder", which is more flexible and configurable but makes it difficult to illuminate AF points individually. The 1DX2 does actually have individually lit AF points, but that requires some fancy extra optics in the viewfinder, next to the metering sensor, that project the indicator lights into the user's eye.

With the 5D Mark IV, if one has only the selected AF points to display in the VF (black rectangles), then only the selected AF point(s) light up when the red light comes on to light up all of the other VF info (most of which can be enabled or disabled to show up in the VF).

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I hope that someday, we'll get infos about the viewfinder's definition.
For me , this matters much much more than fps, video, or even a dual card slot.
If only Canon gave us an EVF like Leica or Panasonic (SL 2 & SR 1).
I'm not into sports , but landscapes and macro, so I have my specific needs.
But I'm quite confident the R 5's EVF won't disappoint me....

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
I am really curious , if this is the specs of the R5 an alleged equivalent for the 5D , what is the the alleged R1 specs going to be in the next couple of years , or is this camera an equivalent to the 1DX Mark III now ?

The R5 does not appear to have most of the things that make the 1DX3 a "1" line body, such as:
  • Large body with built-in vertical grip and controls and a large battery
  • Ultra-fast mechanical shutter (20 fps vs 12 fps)
  • Ridiculous buffer
  • Absolute reliability and durability (500,000 actuation shutter rating etc)
  • Absolute top-of-the-line AF system (unlikely that the R5 AF is going to equal 1DX3 AF)
  • Builtin Ethernet connectivity, (S)FTP etc

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
The R5 does not appear to have most of the things that make the 1DX3 a "1" line body, such as:
  • Ridiculous buffer
  • Absolute top-of-the-line AF system (unlikely that the R5 AF is going to equal 1DX3 AF)

Plus a lag / latency free viewfinder to boot? What you see is what you shoot :))

Upvote 0

tonidavid5

EOS R5, 5D Mark IV, EOS R
Aug 29, 2016
Spain
davidmartinfotografia.com
Keith Cooper from Northlight just posted the specs of the a new LP-E6NH battery registered for a Canon camera. The promised new R5 battery with retrocompatibility with the 5D's ones?

"New Canon camera registered, uses LP-E6NH battery. Model DS126832 (7.2V 2130mAh)".

This is roughly 15% more juice than the previous LP-E6N.

Upvote 0
  • Ridiculous buffer
We don't know what it is going to have yet , Canon are saying it's going to be a pro camera .

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
We don't know what it is going to have yet , Canon are saying it's going to be a pro camera .

It's going to be a pro camera the same way that the 5D4 is a pro camera. We're absolutely sure that the R5 is not going to have most of the things in my list (because we've seen the body!!), and it's very likely that it's not going to have any of those. AF is probably the biggest question mark. I predict it's going to be very good but not 1DX3 level good.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Will EF lenses also work on this new R5 as well ? and will there be a quality difference with RF lenses ?!
Yes and not much difference but more specialty lenses will be coming. Adding an adapter is a small disadvantage for the EF lenses although the 11-24 now has a filter option that is great.

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
This seems to be something new??

Jack

• Wow
Upvote 0