Canon EOS R5 Specifications

AlP

EOS R5
CR Pro
Sep 5, 2018
Looks like there will be two cameras with the new LP-E6NH battery: DS126832 and DS126838 ( )
The latter is compatible with the TC-80N3 remote, so it could be the R5 while DS126832 could be the R6 (and not the R5 as initially assumed) and will use the RS-60E3 remote. That would match the pictures of the R5 which show a port cover similar to that of the 5D4 which uses the TC-80N3 remote.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
This seems to be something new??

Jack
This seems to linked back CR as a source. So...solid as houses. :)
However, thinking of 150mp in pixel shift mode. That points to around 38Mpixel sensor in R5. 150/4=xx. I would be happy with that. However highly unlikely at this stage.

Upvote 0
Not sure if this has been mentioned but Canon Australia just confirmed the below specs for the R5 on their Facebook...

8K video: 30fps, no crop, internal recording and dual pixel AF available in ALL 8K modes.
Auto Focus: body, face and eye animal detect so you can steadily track your subject.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Not sure if this has been mentioned but Canon Australia just confirmed the below specs for the R5 on their Facebook...

8K video: 30fps, no crop, internal recording and dual pixel AF available in ALL 8K modes.
Auto Focus: body, face and eye animal detect so you can steadily track your subject.

Upvote 0

Rule556

I see no reason for recording the obvious. -Weston
Dec 19, 2019
Seattle
www.flickr.com
Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
Oh man, getting the feeling I won't be able to afford this camera for a while after all. o_O Loving the specs, fearing the price. If they consider it a next generation of the 5-series, then they may put a next generation price tag on it.

Yea I'm starting to wonder about the price too...

Upvote 0

MVPhoto

EOS 5D mk3
CR Pro
Sep 15, 2018
AL
For those worried about pricing, Jason McLean, Director – Consumer Imaging & Services, Canon Australia, said: “Our EOS 5-Series was developed fifteen years ago to make full-frame cameras accessible to consumers, not just professional shooters. Today, that purpose remains steadfast as we continue achieving the ‘impossible’ to deliver the hybrid needs of content creators who are demanding uncompromised performance to generate more still and motion visual content than ever before.”

canon.com.au

Upvote 0
The pixel density is too low to replace a 7D Mark II for long-reach applications (17MP in APS-c mode) and no information about the usability of the viewfinder (I find all Sony's and both Canon's to be unusable, so whether or not I ever switch away from SLRs depends heavily on this point).

I thought like you and have since switched from my 5Div to EOS R, the tracking, eye af and accuracy of the focus alone is why I switched. The AF system is night and day, and this is just the EOS R.
I'm finally using my fast lenses again at F/1.4 as it always hits focus every time, that for me is enough reason to switch. I became tire of owning a 3k fast prime that I couldn't be confident to use under F/2.8.
Yes bird tracking is may a bit difficult but you adapt, for me the other benefits now far outweigh using a OVF

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Same here. Everyone I've heard from who owns and regularly uses a DX2 does NOT want a smaller/thinner/more compact body. Weight balancing against larger glass is one of the DX lines BEST features. If/When the 1DX line goes MILC, then I'm betting Canon is going to keep the body almost exactly like it is and just (more or less) remove the mirror, pentaprism, and push the sensor forward in the body towards the flange to get the proper RF distance. Or (the CRAZY-TOWN version) puts a sensor on a rail that can slide it back and forth into position for both EF and RF glass and have interchangeable mounts. Bat-Poop crazy but hey, that is the sort of cool stuff Canon would come up with.
I shot 6D with 300 2.8 II for about 6 years before 1DX2 with 300 and now 400 DO II and I can tell you that you are somewhat correct but not nearly as strongly as implied. The brick is simply too heavy! A 1D4 was almost ideal but still a little too heavy for my liking. Yes I like to wrap my hand around the 1DX2 but I never had issues with the 6D.

Upvote 0
I suspect both rumors on pixel count are true. The sensor on the EOS R5 will be larger than full frame size at 45MP. Only 39MP full frame size output will be available. Remaining size will be used to create the digital stabilization (Canon IBIS). This method is already available on EOS R and RP, but results in reduction from full frame size. Use of larger sensor will add 2 stops of stabilization without losing full frame. This will allow 8k 30fps full width output without intensive processing with stabilization. At 4k this will allow 4 pixels to be combined making the luminance and color noise very low. This will make this camera the leader in low light performance at 4k resolution. This will allow canon to offer IBIS without installing physical stabilization cost. The camera will be cheaper than anticipated by most and sell like crazy. I am anticipating a price of $2.7k. This will also allow very low heat generation in 8k, allowing very long battery life. The super low light mode in 1080p will combine even more pixels to create large virtual pixels.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
This will allow canon to offer IBIS without installing physical stabilization cost.
Digital stabilization that is applied to video is not very helpful for stills.

When Canon says this will be their first IBIS body, they mean the physical hardware to move the sensor inside the camera.

We've seen them pour years and years of patent work into this. It had to result in a product eventually.

Upvote 0
This seems to be something new??

Jack
That site throws crap to the wall to see what sticks.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0