Canon EOS R5 Specifications

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
But I mean, how are you going to edit 8k footage, it takes a lot of PC power and storage, the best spect MacBook pro 16 won't even handle 8k
Well, it remains to be seen but my recent desktop build exceeds most any laptop but maybe I'll be having second thoughts in due course. I think it's pretty obvious that 8K video will be short and used only when it's going to provide a significant benefit. I'm no expert in this area so others may wish to chime in.

Jack

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Well, it remains to be seen but my recent desktop build exceeds most any laptop but maybe I'll be having second thoughts in due course. I think it's pretty obvious that 8K video will be short and used only when it's going to provide a significant benefit. I'm no expert in this area so others may wish to chime in.

Jack

As others have pointed out in other threads, one can employ offline editing (using a proxy file) and skip working with the actual 8K footage itself while in an NLE (editing program). When finished, one can still publish in 8K. This process lowers the system requirements necessary for editing.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
But I mean, how are you going to edit 8k footage, it takes a lot of PC power and storage, the best spect MacBook pro 16 won't even handle 8k

Laptops, no matter how powerful, aren't made for heavy-duty video editing... There are still use cases that call for a real computer.

Anyway, the R5 will be able to shoot beatiful 4K internally downsampled from 8K. That's likely more than enough for most people for now. But being able to get 8K out of the camera now gives Canon major bragging rights, and besides, the camera will still be useful in three or even five years when 8K workflows will be more commonplace.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I think timelines are now the number one issue. Most of us here have very good gear, it still works and we can be patient for upgrades. But for those with broken bodies, needing to add a backup or in the midst of changing systems, availability of current models will affect sales of near future, yet ambiguous release date cameras. Plus, the new Canon lineup is hardly a known factor, the R5 has 'some' info out in the wild but everything else is conjecture and rumor.For instance, If I wasn't brand loyal due to glass I might be interested in a Fuji X-T4 instead of a future M body. These are interesting times to say the least and camera gear is truly the least of our concerns at this point.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Canon has been very quiet on that front, so I expect 4k to be line/columnskipped, not downsampled.

No, they all but confirmed [trying to find a citation] that 2:1 internally oversampled 4K is one of the killer apps you get with a 8K capable sensor. I don’t think any Canon camera does line skipping in 4K, they’re all either 1:1 cropping or oversampling (the 90D, M6 2 and 1DX 3 being the ones in the latter category as of now).

Upvote 0

Rule556

I see no reason for recording the obvious. -Weston
Dec 19, 2019
Seattle
www.flickr.com
I still have my EOS RP and the 3 RF lenses :) However, seeing that I mostly focus on travel photography and due to the worldwide travel bans, I doubt i'd be creating much content in the near future.
I can relate to this. Had trips scheduled for Italy in the fall, and a trip to Santa Barbara this summer. As a hobbyist, I don’t get a lot of travel opportunities so I just play tourist a lot locally. With shelter in place, that’s no longer an option really. The good news is that I’m spending a lot of time learning how to use my new R, so I’ll be more able to take advantage when things turn around. ‍:confused:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

davidespinosa

CR Pro
Feb 12, 2020
Sorry for the newbie question, but:

Why are people so excited about the R5 (over the R) ?

What are the 1 or 2 big upgrades that make the difference ?

It can't be 20 small upgrades -- people wouldn't get this excited.

Thanks...

EDIT -- summarizing:
* IBIS -- important for people with non-IS lenses
* Dual card slots -- important for pros who absolutely must have backup
* 4K no crop (is this announced ?) -- important for 4K video with wide lenses
* Confidence that Canon is "all in" on mirrorless and is keeping up with Sony and Nikon
-- important because nobody likes to be on the losing team and changing brands is expensive
* 12 fps with AF -- important for sports
* Anything else ?

Post #180 asks the same question -- the answers weren't very clear:
https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/i...os-r5-specifications.38165/page-9#post-812031

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada

Thanks...
Bragging rights.;)

Jack

• Haha
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020

Thanks...

EDIT:
* IBIS, clearly.
* Dual card slots, for professionals who _must_ have backup.
* 4K no crop. That's HUGE, but most people here are photographers, I think.
* What else ?

Post #180 asks the same question, but the answers aren't very clear.
https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/i...os-r5-specifications.38165/page-9#post-812031
It's primarily a gear-head forum. So any tech advances, regardless of whether they make much or any difference in your actual shooting are considered vital. I own an R and have absolutely no interest in the R5. I can pretty much gaurantee you there will be no noticeable improvement in image quality over the R, and since I have no need for IBIS, 2 slots or higher Fps, will be more than content with the R as it takes fantastic pics.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010

Thanks...

EDIT:
* IBIS, clearly.
* What else ?

12/20 fps
Joystick
40-45 MP
CFX card slot
Assumed better weathersealing

then, as you say, IBIS, dual card slots, then the video specs.

after that there is a general hope that canon is “all in” on the R5 and R was a beta camera. So, whatever that means.

Also, the R5 May out spec Sony and Nikon equivalents.

But your point is well taken, the R is a capable camera. I own a 5D4. Another very capable camera. I could keep going, but if none of those features are important to you, you won’t be impressed by the R5.

But if you have been wanting one or more of those features, we’ll, it’s ok to be excited.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013

Thanks...

EDIT:
* IBIS, clearly.
* What else ?

Myself I'm looking for a FF Canon body to replace my 5D3. I am interested in better noise control, especially color noise in low light. I do not mind a large file to work with as a landscape, macro, abstraction and nature shooter I don't take a lot of shots and am methodical with my setup and settings. It's the sensor specs and detail potential that interest me. I know that if this isn't the one, I have the R, 5DsR and 5D4 to take a serious look at with a lot less investment. The reason I didn't bite the bullet on the R is ergonomics, it just didn't do it for me when I borrowed on for an afternoon. . I could adapt if needed, it just takes time, right? But I'm a patient person and can wait for the right body. All in all, I mostly want my IQ, as for the other stuff, whatever. A good fit in my mitts, clean files and I'm a happy man.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020

Thanks...

EDIT -- collecting people's answers:
* IBIS (important for people with non-IS lenses).
* Dual card slots (important for professionals who _must_ have backup).
* 4K no crop (super important for 4K video).
* Better build quality overall, we hope (important for people who value quality).
* Confidence that Canon is "all in" on mirrorless and is keeping up with Sony and Nikon
(important because changing brands is expensive, and nobody likes to be on the losing team).
* Anything else ?

I'm excited cause... cause..... it's expensive!!!

Jokes aside, I like the fact that its specs are significantly better than the R, and comparable (or even better) than top end mirrorless cameras like the Sony A7R4. Which is why i ditched the Sony.

Upvote 0

davidespinosa

CR Pro
Feb 12, 2020
after that there is a general hope that canon is “all in” on the R5 and R was a beta camera. So, whatever that means.
Thanks, I'm getting the picture now !
It really looks like Canon vs Sony.
People naturally want to be on the "winning team", particularly if they own lots of Canon lenses !

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Thanks, I'm getting the picture now !
It really looks like Canon vs Sony.
People naturally want to be on the "winning team", particularly if they own lots of Canon lenses !

Well it shouldn't be. I would never switch to Sony. I'm interested because of MPs with FPS; more and less than my 1DX2 and hope it has at least some of the 1 level features I love. That's the single burr in my saddle; why Canon refuses to gives us higher MPs in a 1 level camera. I suspect that the R5 will somewhat disappoint in this regard but I'm still interested because of the MP's and the FPS as a combination and the 8K video thrown in. There certainly are some big question marks. As others have said, if this is Canon really trying to ambush Sony and the R5 proves to be that good, well, then I'll be pleasantly surprised. Right now ... there has to be a catch ... or maybe not?? If not, I buy.:) And I'm not loaded but I'll scrimp somehow.:unsure:

Jack

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016

Thanks...

EDIT -- summarizing (and adding my own ideas):
* IBIS (important for people with non-IS lenses).
* Dual card slots (important for professionals who _must_ have backup).
* 4K no crop (is this announced ? -- important for 4K video with wide lenses).
(important because changing brands is expensive, and nobody likes to be on the losing team).
* Anything else ?

You can't really shoot sports/action very well with the R. When refocusing between each frame the max frame rate is only about 3fps! The R5 will improve that to 12 fps! That's faster than the 7D Mark II and as fast as the original 1D X!

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
No, they all but confirmed [trying to find a citation] that 2:1 internally oversampled 4K is one of the killer apps you get with a 8K capable sensor. I don’t think any Canon camera does line skipping in 4K, they’re all either 1:1 cropping or oversampling (the 90D, M6 2 and 1DX 3 being the ones in the latter category as of now).

I read that bit as "You can get great downsampled 4k in post". I'd love to be wrong though!

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands

I keep reading that the 90D has much better 4k than the M6II, doing the downsampling you mention. The M6II is reported to the skipping and then upsampling the 3.4k footage.
All I can say is the the 4k footage from my M6II looks better than its 1080p footage. And both suffer from the lack of IS on the EF-M 32mm :)

Upvote 0