Canon EOS R5 Specifications

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Myself I'm looking for a FF Canon body to replace my 5D3. I am interested in better noise control, especially color noise in low light. I do not mind a large file to work with as a landscape, macro, abstraction and nature shooter I don't take a lot of shots and am methodical with my setup and settings. It's the sensor specs and detail potential that interest me. I know that if this isn't the one, I have the R, 5DsR and 5D4 to take a serious look at with a lot less investment. The reason I didn't bite the bullet on the R is ergonomics, it just didn't do it for me when I borrowed on for an afternoon. . I could adapt if needed, it just takes time, right? But I'm a patient person and can wait for the right body. All in all, I mostly want my IQ, as for the other stuff, whatever. A good fit in my mitts, clean files and I'm a happy man.

For your stated purposes, the 5D Mark IV was a significant improvement over the 5D Mark III. You probably should have upgraded in 2016.

Dynamic range: 5D Mark III vs. 5D Mark IV

Read noise: 5D Mark III vs. 5D Mark IV

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Really Right Stuff just told me they aren't sure they will be making an L PLate for the R5.

OK, that drink is one part non-committal, one part BS and a jigger of 'Don't hold us to it in case the virus is the apocalypse' .
I’ve been in touch with them re the 1DX III l-plate, we went backwards and forwards a bit but I hope they take my suggestions on board.

Upvote 0
Really Right Stuff just told me they aren't sure they will be making an L PLate for the R5.

OK, that drink is one part non-committal, one part BS and a jigger of 'Don't hold us to it in case the virus is the apocalypse' .
I bought the ProMedia Gear plate for my R over the RRS plate which was late to market and lacked the ability to use the screen meaningfully when it finally did show up. The quality is every bit as good as RRS.

Upvote 0

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020
The only other way that works is IF IF IF Canon develops this new R5 body to mimic and feel like the current 5D body. In other words, make it artificially larger.

Lol no, please no. I don't need a brick in my bag. The current R design is the best, whereas the RP feels a bit small (feels great with the optional add-on grip though).

Regarding the hypothetical 5D5, I don't think that will happen. Ppl will continue to bi*ch and moan about the transition from DSLRs to mirrorless, just as when ppl had to transition from film to digital. Just gotta swallow the pill quickly and get it over with.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Lol no, please no. I don't need a brick in my bag. The current R design is the best, whereas the RP feels a bit small (feels great with the optional add-on grip though).

Regarding the hypothetical 5D5, I don't think that will happen. Ppl will continue to bi*ch and moan about the transition from DSLRs to mirrorless, just as when ppl had to transition from film to digital. Just gotta swallow the pill quickly and get it over with.

Each opinion is worthy but for me I transitioned from the 6D though a 1D2, a 1D4 and finally the 1DX2 and having shot about 50K plus with the 6D I had no issue with its size but at this moment I do see a small benefit to having a somewhat bigger body.

However I do not appreciate so much weight, and think that the 1D4 was still plenty big. I really liked the feel of the 1D4 and its crop factor even though I only shot about 10k with it. As many have stated, that camera "body" was easy to love.

My hands are small for a man and the 1DX2 is slightly too big for me to feel 100% comfortable walking with it in my right hand with a smaller lens. With my 400 the balance of the 1DX2 is appreciated but it was OK with the 6D (mostly 300 2.8 II X2). Obviously if someone doesn't shoot much with a large lens then it's more likely a smallish body will be preferred. If a person is adding a grip, then I don't see the point of desiring a smaller body, I'd prefer a built in grip.

Regardless, Canon isn't listening to me except perhaps as part of their large sample of those that share my opinion. I'll learn to love the R5, even if it's smaller than I prefer and I doubt that.

Jack

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Each opinion is worthy but for me I transitioned from the 6D though a 1D2, a 1D4 and finally the 1DX2 and having shot about 50K plus with the 6D I had no issue with its size but at this moment I do see a small benefit to having a somewhat bigger body.

However I do not appreciate so much weight, and think that the 1D4 was still plenty big. I really liked the feel of the 1D4 and its crop factor even though I only shot about 10k with it. As many have stated, that camera "body" was easy to love.

My hands are small for a man and the 1DX2 is slightly too big for me to feel 100% comfortable walking with it in my right hand with a smaller lens. With my 400 the balance of the 1DX2 is appreciated but it was OK with the 6D (mostly 300 2.8 II X2). Obviously if someone doesn't shoot much with a large lens then it's more likely a smallish body will be preferred. If a person is adding a grip, then I don't see the point of desiring a smaller body, I'd prefer a built in grip.

Regardless, Canon isn't listening to me except perhaps as part of their large sample of those that share my opinion. I'll learn to love the R5, even if it's smaller than I prefer and I doubt that.

Jack
I don't have big hands either but my favorite body is the DX2 because it balances so darn well with the 70-200 and the 85 1.4. Doing a lot of telephoto and portrait stuff, I tend to use larger glass more frequently and the DX2 is perfect for that

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
3 days, 5 hours, and 39 minutes until the press conference

The clock in the Canon email was one hour off, the website 6 hours :) The .ics does seem to have the correct time and timezone.

So 3 and a half days left to get some cash to throw at the screen when they properly announce all the things!

Upvote 0
Mar 4, 2020
The clock in the Canon email was one hour off, the website 6 hours :) The .ics does seem to have the correct time and timezone.

So 3 and a half days left to get some cash to throw at the screen when they properly announce all the things!

I thought the announcement was going to be just video stuff?

From Canon...
"The new Canon broadcast and cinema products featured during the Virtual Press Conference are aligned with the current and growing needs of the respective industries such as 4K UHD and HDR, as well as evolving technologies. "

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

I thought the announcement was going to be just video stuff?

From Canon...
"The new Canon broadcast and cinema products featured during the Virtual Press Conference are aligned with the current and growing needs of the respective industries such as 4K UHD and HDR, as well as evolving technologies. "

The email reads “You’ll be able to hear about our new professional imaging products and technologies, before everyone else.”

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
What no GPS???? Getting it from a smartphone with Canon Camera Connect is an option but not fail proof. Of course bluetooth spends much less battery than GPS so maybe this is the reason.
What I do when traveling with my G5X II and previously G7X II is to take a picture with my iPhone. If I'm somewhere that I won't be able to pinpoint when I'm back home, rather than firing up the Connect connection. I just take a shot with the phone. I can compare time stamps to know where I was at the time. On long bus tours during trips, I don't need to be using up batteries in both devices all day just to have GPS. Of course I try to make sure that I have the camera's clock set correctly. I have used this method both on the Antrim coast of Ireland and on different islands in Hawaii, for example, where I might not be near a town, at least not one I'd recognize and remember.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
What I do when traveling with my G5X II and previously G7X II is to take a picture with my iPhone. If I'm somewhere that I won't be able to pinpoint when I'm back home, rather than firing up the Connect connection. I just take a shot with the phone. I can compare time stamps to know where I was at the time. On long bus tours during trips, I don't need to be using up batteries in both devices all day just to have GPS. Of course I try to make sure that I have the camera's clock set correctly. I have used this method both on the Antrim coast of Ireland and on different islands in Hawaii, for example, where I might not be near a town, at least not one I'd recognize and remember.

I do something like this for my 120 film camera, take a photo of the viewfinder with the phone, then take the film picture. I does mean there's less of a rush to get the film developed, though.

Upvote 0
No, they all but confirmed [trying to find a citation] that 2:1 internally oversampled 4K is one of the killer apps you get with a 8K capable sensor. I don’t think any Canon camera does line skipping in 4K, they’re all either 1:1 cropping or oversampling (the 90D, M6 2 and 1DX 3 being the ones in the latter category as of now).
no, they mentioned that's one of the things you can do with 8K footage. I really doubt 4K60 4k120 would be oversampled.

Upvote 0