Canon EOS R6 IBIS in action

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Correction. The angular size decreases proportionally to 1/d (approximately). The area will follow 1/d^2 though.
It was correct. The number of photons going through the lens aperture falls off as 1/d^2 because the photon flux depends on a solid angle, not a 2D angle..

Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
As a scientist, I do regret the paucity of scientists in newsrooms, parliaments etc. However, I am not sure that a science degree is essential for the study of history. The ability to use Ngram viewer does help though. Here is the frequency of occurrence of "snow moon" in books. It appears to go back for a couple of centuries. I am not going to read all the books to look at the context.
View attachment 188594

One wonders whether many or any were in the context of describing a particular wintertime full moon. Could be poetry and not science. Or random juxtaposition

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
One wonders whether many or any were in the context of describing a particular wintertime full moon. Could be poetry and not science. Or random juxtaposition
Random juxtaposition is unlikely because the Ngram is case sensitive and Snow Moon is far more frequent than snow moon. Similarly for poetry. Two words together beginning with capital letters is usually a compound structure.

Upvote 0
Was the 2nd moonscape photo yours? It was quite good.

Yes it's mine, thanks!

Note: Some of my older 300mm and 400mm shots were made at 1/125 and 1/250 and are sharp at 1:1.

For artistic/nightscape purposes 200mm is enough, I understood the atmospheric aberrations start playing at longer focal lengths, you telescope is >2000mm.
For my purposes nything longer than 200mm will probably be an overkill unless I wanted to reproduce something like this (in)famous Peter Lik's moon shot

moonlitdreams-552x800.jpg

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

wanderer23

CR Pro
Feb 8, 2020
When i look at the r5 price guessing on here and on dpreview, it makes me feel most people frequenting these sites are stills shooters (which makes sense). the r5's stills specs totally make it the ~$3.5k camera that seems to be the most commonly guessed. I'd guess that as well if only looking at the photo specs. BUT the video specs.... if its 4k120p full readout, or 8k30p properly (not burst, time lapse, etc) - hard to see it being even below $6k. So something has to give on the video specs, else the price will be alot higher than $3.5k unless canon is willing to undersell the value of the specs simply to regain the mirrorless FF market (which i feel it will do anyway).

The cheapest FF 8k camera is the Z cam e2f8 which is $6k USD, and doesn't include anything - no monitor/evf, no handle/grip, no battery, etc. It's $7-8k+ just to hit the record button. The next cheapest FF 8k camera is red's monstro which cost $54.5k USD just for the brain - it's anohter $10k+ just to hit the record button. Granted, the red is very expensive for alot of other reasons than these type of specs, but just saying as a frame of reference how groundbrekaing the r5 would be if true. As far as I know, the Canon R5 will be the third FF 8k camera in the world under $75k USD?

Even if 8k is just a burst mode, and the highest resolution codec is 6k, there's a huge group of people that would think $5k+ is perfectly fair (cheap even) for 6k30p w/ DPAF. Video specs cost money. And plenty pay a huge premium for video specs - it's still a rapidly developing market whereas stills has matured.

My guess is 8k is a burst or timelapse mode, and we end up with 6k or 4k full sensor width readout as the max video resolution. and the 60p is super35, and the 120p is 2-3x crop factor. Canon must feel it needs to hit a price that caters to the stills shooters that have been waiting for a better R. I always believe CR is correct, so guessing the video specs will have a bunch of catches to them.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Not necessarily a bad thing if done well.

I shoot with the Sony A7RIII while I wait for the Canon mirrorless cameras and I find the absence of an AA filter gives the impression of sharpness but the images easly look over sharpened due to aliasing and false colour. If you're into the super real look for something like product photography then fair enough but for people, subjects with lots of fine detail like feathers/fur and even landscape I'm not a massive fan.
I too have had cameras with and without the AA filter and agree completely. No AA filter gives very fake, outlined detail in many cases - even with sharpness dialed down. Far more realistic looking pics when you have a filter, in my opinion.

Upvote 0

wanderer23

CR Pro
Feb 8, 2020
No, but it would be nice to see them get back on top of FF sales. Then we could lurk Sony forums and hear how Sony is doomed.

They'll come back on top soon....I think so for two reasons:
1. 5dM4->R5 migration alone will do it....
2. Sony ignoring video shooters. They forget how important this segment is....

Upvote 0

wanderer23

CR Pro
Feb 8, 2020
Canon's dedication to strong anti aliasing filters will continue, I'm sure.
Not necessarily a bad thing if done well.

I shoot with the Sony A7RIII while I wait for the Canon mirrorless cameras and I find the absence of an AA filter gives the impression of sharpness but the images easly look over sharpened due to aliasing and false colour. If you're into the super real look for something like product photography then fair enough but for people, subjects with lots of fine detail like feathers/fur and even landscape I'm not a massive fan.

I'm on a a7riv waiitng for an EOS R update with good video so I can have a real hybrid camera and not need 3 bodies (go down to 2). I really dislike Sony ergonomics and color (eyeAF and DR holding me out), and I've owned quite a few models. So have been waiting, and waiting, and waiting, for something like the R5 to show up. Very excited. Not fussy whether it has a AA fliter or not. Prefer it for video, prefer not having it for stills. Can't be fussed.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Hey yes agreed, if it’s a $1000 entry level camera that represents an upgrade from the RP, then I can’t complain much about missing specs. And I won’t.

But if the R6 is intended to be an upgrade from the current EOS R with pricing in line with or just above the Sony A7III and it then falls short of meeting those specs on the A7III then that’s disappointing. I mean the A7III is a two year old system, if they can’t meet its minimum standards then it’s crippled.

A7III has IBIS, has Dual Slot, 4K no crop, Magnesium Alloy, 24mp etc and it’s selling for sub $2000. That should be Canons starting point. I mean if you can’t even make a camera that at least rivals a two year old Sony body, then don’t waste my time. Hence crippled.
Crippled is popular word among those that don't understand the first thing about business or are just Sony trolls. Sony does indeed offer a very affordable FF camera. But it comes at a cost. Weather sealing is an industry worst based on testing. Dust removal system is very poor based on many reviews. Ergonomics are awful and apparently - despite user complaints for years - is not worth spending money on improving. Exposure metering is poor based on my own experience. I have read numerous comments from photographers that they have to buy multiple copoes of their lenses until they get one that isn't very decentered.
Having specs does not mean that they are well done specs. The only thing Sony does well is sensors and eye focus AF. They may have all the specs, but those specs are far more "crippled" than Canon's, based on my experience.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I too have had cameras with and without the AA filter and agree completely. No AA filter gives very fake, outlined detail in many cases - even with sharpness dialed down. Far more realistic looking pics when you have a filter, in my opinion.
I like the idea of a weak or moderate AA filter. Sounds like the new 1Dxiii has just that. What that means for the R5/6 is anyone's guess. Days away from knowing I hope!

Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
Random juxtaposition is unlikely because the Ngram is case sensitive and Snow Moon is far more frequent than snow moon. Similarly for poetry. Two words together beginning with capital letters is usually a compound structure.

Good arguments, but until I see evidence this is all dumbing down astrology nonsense. Used by no one except clickbaiters that I have ever seen.

Science is as beautiful as an ordinary full moon.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2020
Yo davo, CR is a rumours site. We also talk about our gear, and what works best in certain situations. Some of us are afflicted with GAS, and not the hot air you are spewing. You joined on Jan 11, with your trollish negativity you are welcome to leave at any time. You've probably already been banned at different sites under different names. Get a life. All this is just my humble opinion.

Holy Crapamoly Aaron..... Just having a bit of fun. Chill dude.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
Apparently the #1 feature we need in the R5 is not megapixels or dynamic range or IBIS or even sweet 4k video specs. It's automatic stacking of moon exposures.
RP got auto stacking for lowering noise.
Btw would be cool if you could connect many camera together to shoot same sky view same time,their ibises could fine align shots.
Home made dragonfly array :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0