Canon EOS R6 IBIS in action

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
if its 4k120p full readout, or 8k30p properly (not burst, time lapse, etc) - hard to see it being even below $6k. So something has to give on the video specs, else the price will be alot higher than $3.5k
Neither mode will feature AF and the 120p option certainly will have a crop factor above 2. The 8K also certainly will be RAW again, with the same huge data rates we see from the 1DX III in 5.5K. Not really a problem if you got enough storage though.

Thread thoroughly hijacked.

Well, I'm sure that the first person who posted a moon picture didn't planet that way.
At least the R5 makes for a great Moon camera :LOL: The high resolution is absolutely worth it here, as you are not going to get closer to the thing under any regular circumstances, so the only alternative for getting more detail is spending significant cash. IBIS does technically allow canceling the rotation of the earth for short intervals, eliminating that factor of blur from the images. And the high speed electronic shutter could, depending on the buffer depth, and the 8K (probably RAW) video make it possible to do high quality lucky imaging on a regular camera, without having to bother with Magic Lantern.

What? This thread isn't about the R5 either, you say? Shhhh... ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
To those who are strict in staying on topic, I wish to apologize, as I started the moon segue. Yet in the context of CR forum history, it has been one of the more informing and polite off ramps and at least it remained within photographic boundaries. In the many years I have been here, I have seen much worse. Thanks for keeping it civil and interesting people.

Now back to cycling and drums!

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
To those who are strict in staying on topic, I wish to apologize, as I started the moon segue. Yet in the context of CR forum history, it has been one of the more informing and polite off ramps and at least it remained within photographic boundaries. In the many years I have been here, I have seen much worse. Thanks for keeping it civil and interesting people.

Now back to cycling and drums!
Ah, they are drumsticks! I wondered whether they were special toothpicks . Actually it's been a useful thread as it has got me testing my Kenco 3xTC on the 90D's liveview. It will useful on the R6, and I am not being a lunatic. The Kenco 3x is actually better than its 2x but is reported not to AF https://www.ephotozine.com/article/kenko-teleplus-teleconverters-2x-and-3x--review-14047 However, the previous lack of AF was due to the limits of the then bodies. With the R series (and the M), these old TCs focus well and will be good with the larger pixels of the R6.

Upvote 0

I wonder, if "magnesium body" stands for "timeless modern classic beautiful metal exterior design" like most Fujis and Sony A7 -series - or "ugly, plastic, but tough, owing to its magnesium shell, like Canon / Nikon DSLRs"? That's an important question I'd like to know the answer to. Thank you.

• Haha
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I wonder, if "magnesium body" stands for "timeless modern classic beautiful metal exterior design" like most Fujis and Sony A7 -series - or "ugly, plastic, but tough, owing to its magnesium shell, like Canon / Nikon DSLRs"? That's an important question I'd like to know the answer to. Thank you.
My bet is that it refers to the classic, tough, 5D styling, rounded edge magnesium inner skeleton bodies which are very rugged and in some peoples opinions, very handsome. Ask around, do many people think the R series is going to go the route of silver and sharp edges?

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
Pretty sure the second option. Canon loves their current long standing body configuration. For good reason.

Upvote 0
Now that I sit here thinking about this about the R6 not having a top down screen and having extra dials on top makes sense. If it is going to be a video centric camera it will need more controls on it for exposure control and frame rate options. None of the "C" series cinema cameras have a top down LCD as it would be useless to video people and honestly I don't even use mine, I just look of the rear screen to confirm my settings.

Upvote 0