Canon EOS R6 IBIS in action

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Yo davo, CR is a rumours site. We also talk about our gear, and what works best in certain situations. Some of us are afflicted with GAS, and not the hot air you are spewing. You joined on Jan 11, with your trollish negativity you are welcome to leave at any time. You've probably already been banned at different sites under different names. Get a life. All this is just my humble opinion.
View attachment 188597

Is that the moon? Or a really badly made pepperoni pizza?

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
One wonders whether many or any were in the context of describing a particular wintertime full moon. Could be poetry and not science. Or random juxtaposition

One wonders how often some folks throw out the (ancient) baby with the (recently drawn) bathwater...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Ah, they are drumsticks! I wondered whether they were special toothpicks . Actually it's been a useful thread as it has got me testing my Kenco 3xTC on the 90D's liveview. It will useful on the R6, and I am not being a lunatic. The Kenco 3x is actually better than its 2x but is reported not to AF https://www.ephotozine.com/article/kenko-teleplus-teleconverters-2x-and-3x--review-14047 However, the previous lack of AF was due to the limits of the then bodies. With the R series (and the M), these old TCs focus well and will be good with the larger pixels of the R6.

Assuming firmware issues don't lock up the camera. My older Kenko 2X locks up the 7DII and 5DIII/5DIV unless AFMA is totally disabled.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I think if I recall, ML stopped after the 5D3 (so far as 5 bodies at least). Canon never really cared for the firmware meddling but seemed to turn a blind eye to it because it was getting them positive attention in the filmmaker world. I think I read somewhere that with the new firmware on the 5d4, ML couldn't get their magic to work. Now that we have RAW capability in Canon natively, it's a moot point. What ML did do is show Canon that there was a niche desire for that RAW capacity even in Hollywood productions as small form factor and crash cams to marry into ARRI RAW in post. Canon responded by giving Hollywood a native in camera capacity with the 1DX3 and I'd bet in MILCs to come (as we are still unsure on the R5 at this moment)

Being the preferred maker of crash cams can do wonders for sales numbers...

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Assuming firmware issues don't lock up the camera. My older Kenko 2X locks up the 7DII and 5DIII/5DIV unless AFMA is totally disabled.
The 3x has never locked my 7DII, 5D3, 5DIV and 90D when attempting to use it unsuccessfully in mirror mode. Fortunately, mirrorless doesn't suffer from AFMA.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
So as a primary video shooter, am i supposed to be more excited for the R6 or R5?

Depends on what you're shooting primarily. But we know a lot more about the R5 than the R6 right now and it may be another few months before we know more on the R6. The R5 rumored to have 4k120... R6 we dont know. Wait a few months and see what each of these cameras actually are going to be able to do, but a 45MP sensor in itself is not one I'd instantly think of for video centric needs

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
The 3x has never locked my 7DII, 5D3, 5DIV and 90D when attempting to use it unsuccessfully in mirror mode. Fortunately, mirrorless doesn't suffer from AFMA.

Yeah, newer versions of the "same" Kenko product made since around 2015 do not have the issue. Mine was purchased in 2011. Thus, it is what I consider to be an "old" Kenko TC.

Upvote 0
You are using your right eye and it's the left-dominant-eyed who are complaining. Must be a very bright evf to need you to wear shades.

I am left eye dominant and left handed notice what side my Wimberley is set for but I learned to shoot both eyes open so I could watch the subject and surroundings. Yes it's very bright shooting snow goose blastoffs into the setting sun :)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I am left eye dominant and left handed notice what side my Wimberley is set for but I learned to shoot both eyes open so I could watch the subject and surroundings. Yes it's very bright shooting snow goose blastoffs into the setting sun :)
I am right handed and left-eye dominant so noticing what side your Wimberley is set for doesn't come into it. (Handedness and eye dominance are not necessarily the same - see the meta survey https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15513026

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
You have to answer that for yourself.

I disagree.

I think the other poster is asking the same thing we are all curious about, which is who and what exactly the R6 is meant for. We don't know at this time if the R6 is supposed to be a video powerhouse, but we do have reason to believe that the R5 will have 8K video capture (though just what that implies about its expected use and other features remains to be seen).

It's a reasonable question, just one we don't have the answer to, yet.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I honestly don't understand why left or right eye dominance even makes a difference in photography. It does when aiming a hand gun. I am left eye dominant, but hell, I close my left eye when peeping through the viewfinder hole with my right. Some of the stuff talked about here just seems weird sometimes. Yes, if you are using a camera as a "right eyed" person you could theoretically keep the left eye open. Why, I have no idea. However, if you are using it as a "left eyed" person, the right side of the camera blocks the right eye view anyway. BTW: Did you guys know photography isn't art and that DR is more important than any thread discussion?

• Haha
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I disagree.

I think the other poster is asking the same thing we are all curious about, which is who and what exactly the R6 is meant for. We don't know at this time if the R6 is supposed to be a video powerhouse, but we do have reason to believe that the R5 will have 8K video capture (though just what that implies about its expected use and other features remains to be seen).

He asked which camera "he" should be more excited about. Only he can answer that for himself and only one that can be answered once full specs come out. It's like asking what his favorite color should be. ;)

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I honestly don't understand why left or right eye dominance even makes a difference in photography. It does when aiming a hand gun. I am left eye dominant, but hell, I close my left eye when peeping through the viewfinder hole with my right. Some of the stuff talked about here just seems weird sometimes. Yes, if you are using a camera as a "right eyed" person you could theoretically keep the left eye open. Why, I have no idea. However, if you are using it as a "left eyed" person, the right side of the camera blocks the right eye view anyway. BTW: Did you guys know photography isn't art and that DR is more important than any thread discussion?
You might not believe it, but those of us not in the USA are not accustomed to using hand guns. Anyway, there is a lot of shooting from the hip here.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016

If you've ever been clobbered on the sideline of an athletic field or baseline at a gym, you'll understand at least one of the purposes of shooting with both eyes open - self preservation via better situational awareness.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I disagree.

Which camera will likely have "more" video specs? The R5, if for no other reasonthan higher resolution mathematically affords it capabilities of 8K, which has been rumored to some extent.

Which camera seems more natively attuned to producing video? The R6 as it shares the same sensor as the 1DX3 (so far as we can tell) but we are NOT yet sure about what CPU it will employ. If we assume the Digic X also like the 1DX3, then this camera should be able to produce the same video specs as the 1DX3 including RAW 4k and RAW 5.5K sans DPAF when in RAW and/or FF mode. That said, the CROP mode for 4k on this camera would also be at 1.3x like the DX2 and DX3, which is a very negligible crop.

This would further beg the question, what sort of 4K or 1080p modes will/can we get from the 45MP sensor of the R5? That's a LOT of data to sling around, so yeah maybe 4K120 but it will come with a major crop north of 2x.

So if you are mostly shooting at 24 or 30 fps for video, then an R6 will do a splendid job, particularly if you outboard it to an Atomos Ninja V with 10 Bit 422 CLog gamma and record directly to ProRes 422 or ProResHQ.

The 1DX3 tops out at 4K60 on that 20MP sensor with a FF readout with the Digic X CPU. Can the 45MP R5 do a true FF readout with all those same modes? I wouldn't think so. Maybe some cropping. Maybe some line skipping. We dont really know yet. If it can read out the whole sensor at 4k60, then that Digic X is far more capable than the 1DX3 is letting on... which MAY be the case if it can do the same 20fps stills via electronic shutter that the 1DX3 can with less than half the pixel count.

I can say for ME that as of this moment with what limited info we have, I'm in the R6 camp as I don't need another stills centric camera. I'm much more interested in maximizing FF readout for video across the widest framerates and settings possible and that is much more likely with a 20MP sensor than a 45MP sensor.

If massive oversampling was truly yielding significantly better results, then you'd see high MP cinema cameras. The new C500Mk2 is a 20MP very similar in size to the DX3/R6 that shoots 6K. Only time you'll see 40MP in a cinema camera is if they are building a full blown 8K model

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
If you've ever been clobbered on the sideline of an athletic field or baseline at a gym, you'll understand at least one of the purposes of shooting with both eyes open - self preservation via better situational awareness.
1. So what does that have to do with left/right eye dominance?
2. What does one do when one is zoomed more in one eye or the other?
3. Did you know photography isn't art? ;)
4. What does any of this have to do with the R6?

Upvote 0