Canon EOS R6 specifications [CR3]

Apr 25, 2011
Also a question out of left field: would it be possible for Canon to produce a line (or lines) of cameras with the same bodies and internals and use features in firmware to differentiate them?
Only in very limited range of features (like C-Log), otherwise it would mean selling cameras with more expensive hardware than needed.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Seems like there's two price camps.Although kind of 70/30. I cannot believe that the 5/6 naming and correlating price structure will be any different with mirror or without. Seems it's the A7Ss killer people that think that somehow it will be more expensive. Hmmmm....Everyone else (the 70%) reads the R6 as lower everything. A mirrorless 6D2 to it's 5D4 compadre.
Three camps. There are those of us who are happy enough to wait and see how it plays out.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
20MP camera resolution bugs me. I don't understand it. I thought it should be at least around 30-32 MP.
There are some who think it is to compete with this.....https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1186034-REG/sony_ilce7sm2_b_alpha_a7sii_mirrorless_digital.html

If so, there's your bump.Really though, no one knows anything except about the 1DXiii.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
20MP camera resolution bugs me. I don't understand it. I thought it should be at least around 30-32 MP.
Why would that bug you? There will also be the r5 at 45mp. A hi res R at 75-90mp. The R at 30mp. You will have choices. No one will force you to buy the r6

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Price and especially size/weight.

I think ,the eos R5 will be in the same form factor as eos R,
while R6 will be more like the RP.
Price i can understand as i am sure the r5 will be significantly more but not size or weight . Yes the rp is smaller but thr R is still small and light. I dont think the rp form factor offers a great deal of benifit in that department. And M62 would be better if you want small. Obviously you then have sacrifice of a crop sensor however.

Upvote 0
I had a chance to have hands-on with an EOS R in the store this week. Having had an EOS D30, 10D, 20D, 30D, 50D, and now a 6D, I've had many thousands of hours of muscle-memory with EOS controls. The EOS R ? Whaa?? It no longer has that good EOS feel. If I have to re-learn the controls why stick with Canon at all? I truly hope the new EOS R# models return the controls we've learned to know and love.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I had a chance to have hands-on with an EOS R in the store this week. Having had an EOS D30, 10D, 20D, 30D, 50D, and now a 6D, I've had many thousands of hours of muscle-memory with EOS controls. The EOS R ? Whaa?? It no longer has that good EOS feel. If I have to re-learn the controls why stick with Canon at all? I truly hope the new EOS R# models return the controls we've learned to know and love.
I takes more than 5 minutes in the store to get used to it, I feel it’s very canon from many perspectives, including how logical everything is, and not buried in menues, and the level of possible customization is crazy.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I takes more than 5 minutes in the store to get used to it, I feel it’s very canon from many perspectives, including how logical everything is, and not buried in menues, and the level of possible customization is crazy.

The R and RP were 'different' from my 7D1, but very similar to the M series. I do wish Canon would make the differences a bit less between the M and R series. The default buttons for 'zoom to AF point' in image review are reversed between the M6II and RP. On the M6II it's the '*' button, on the RP it's the button below the '*' button.

For the rest, they all take a picture when I press the shutter button, which is in the same place on all R and M series :)

Upvote 0
So is there another brand that has that EOS feel that you like? Maybe time to move on.

Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2018
There is just no way that the 20MP sensor of the R6 can "only" do 4K@60p and the 45MP sensor of the R5 can do 4k@120p and both sensors can do the same 20 fps electronic. IF they make this work, then the R5 needs to be dual processor with split sensor readout or something like this, which would make the R5 rather more like an R1
Would a 20mp sensor be able to handle more then 5.5k like 6k or is weather its 'Digic 9' or the known new Digic X processor?

Upvote 0
Would a 20mp sensor be able to handle more then 5.5k like 6k or is weather its 'Digic 9' or the known new Digic X processor?
I just can't see why the smaller R6 sensor would be read out slower than the larger, R5 sensor, unless encoding is the limiting step and the R5 had much more processing power.

But, having said that, the specs for the R5 were spot on, so, probably the R6's are as well...

• Haha
Upvote 0