Canon EOS R6 specifications [CR3]

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
At the below RP pricepoint....? Oh it will sell a LOAD of cameras. It's an introduction FF so why not 20MP?

With IBIS and a shutter faster than the R (not to mention 4K 60), why would it come in below the RP? Surely not just for losing those 6 MP?

Sure it could. Tell every 6D2 owner that their new camera will come with all of the following upgrades:
  • IBIS
  • A proper on-chip ADC sensor (one can only hope that wrong is righted)
  • 20 fps
...and all it will cost them is (idk) $1800 and 6 less MP.

I bet you'd sell a bunch of cameras. Not all users would take that camera, but many would.

- A

I don't think so. I know several wedding photographers who went with 6D models so they could have the 5D-lite experience --- I always saw the 6D as a 5D substitute (similar form factor and MP) for those who couldn't afford one, but still wanted a full-frame camera. Can't imagine anyone I know tolerating fewer pixels, knowing how these cameras are used, and that they do need to crop and print their images.

Wouldn't be surprised if R6 became the new RP.

R6
R5
R5S
R1
(and hopefully an R7)

If it's the new RP, I think it'll cost $1600 to $2000 --- which kind of makes it the un-RP, imo.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Because Canon would sell a ton of them and this seems like it's the rumoured low cost FF.
Or it is rumoured low light body. Which could be really good. If there are no drawbacks like one cards slot etc, then R5 together with R6 would be perfect kit for wedding photographer. R6 for low light and maybe faster in terms of readout (better silent shutter) and R5 for portraits etc. Sounds really good to me :)

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
That R6 doesn't look like it is going to be an inexpensive camera.

20mpx is more than enough for normal use, but an in body high Res mode is always welcome.

Everything I would want in a camera.

I just need to see what the image quality is going to look like at high isos .
If the bodies have the same size as the RP I'd love it.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Because Canon would sell a ton of them and this seems like it's the rumoured low cost FF.

Well yeah, but where's the precedent for selling a camera with these specs for, what? $1199? I'm not saying I don't want one, I'm just saying I don't think it's coming in at that price.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
So were the R and RP just starter models with throwaway names?

Will the future be:
R1 (some face melting gripped sports volcano)​
R5S (high res)​
R5 (today's earlier rumor)​
R6 (this thread's rumor)​

And a relatively modest 20 MP sensor in a 20 fps (we presume not gripped) body as the entry price point spec on that list?

- A
I still can't wrap my head around you not buying the rf 50mm 1.2L. Heavenly. All anybody could ever want in a 50 except compactness, but the IQ so outweighs that. Compromise is one of the touchstones of photography!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
So say you. RP lacks IBIS and sure as hell can't pop 12 / 20 fps.

R5 feels like the 5D5.
R6 feels like the 6D3.

RP may have been an inexpensive platform bugzapper to draw folks in to the platform. Perhaps RP and the original R will die out now once the more familiar hierarchy I posted above gets released.

- A

It does not feel like the 6DIII with the sensor down from 26 to 20 mpx.

Upvote 0
Boy this is going to be a hell of a February! :)

This one even shuffle a little bit more things....If it comes with 4k60 and 20fps, definitely is not a model Below RP, or even R (Unless Canon is making a standard 4k@120 for the top models). With this 20mp sensor it could be more like a video centric camera but the 20mp seems a bit too much, however totally possible. This one could compete with other mirrorless cameras more directed to video but very capable of stills.

It could be a 1dx mirrorless, with 12 fps mechanical and 20fps electronic, well...this is a trully fast camera! Also with the video spec 4k60fps sounds really like a fast premium mirrorless!

Or....It could be a new 6d mirrorless, but those 20mp don´t give much confidence on this one...

Soo....Having the EOS R with 4k30 and 30,3MP sensor, with a max of 8fps...now we have a 20MP sensor, with a max of 20fps and 4k60! This sounds like totally different camera segment. My guess?? Well...I would bet on the video directed camera If the video specs of the EOS R5 were here with this sensor. With this specs this really sound like a 1D mirrorless!

Confusing! We must wait for further details

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Stuart

Hi, Welcome from an ePhotozine fan, & 6D user.
Jul 22, 2010
London & Woking
www.ephotozine.com
Once you have cracked the high FPS technology then is it really a cost differentiator - reusing the same electronics engine in multiple bodies helps keep costs down.
I'm a 6D mk1 shooter and until now really didn't know what body to consider for my tight budget. Maybe this is for me? I've love some wide open RF glass on my 6Dmk1 for low light this might be the business.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
At the below RP pricepoint....? Oh it will sell a LOAD of cameras. It's an introduction FF so why not 20MP?

Probably taken out the back and quietly shot.

Oooops I invoked the Unholy Name of Sony unwittenly....... Umm... Canon is DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED?

(Altho if lets say the guess is right and the R7 IS a APS-C sports camera...... just imagine the M6 II's sensor spiced up with a DIGICX and cut down 1D mkIII liveview AF performance. Twin card slots, 7D II style budgeon people strong body - I reckon not just birders would lose their damn minds. It's not like that's a pie in the sky wish list, that IS a likely to be seen camera)
Are you a birder? Because I shoot birds and I do not want to use adaptors for my big white lenses. And I do not want to use EVF and lose the birds or kill the battery. I want my lenses on DSLRs!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i dont think is neccesarily is the 6d mark II replacement/equivalent i mean it defenitely could be but its not neccecarily an established fact. it could also be an expensive low light monster like the a7s(especially considering 12/20fps but then the no 8k would be wierd). it could also be the low light monster/entry level camera combined

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
it could also be an expensive low light monster like the a7s(especially considering 12/20fps but then the no 8k would be wierd).
8K is just over 33 MP resolution - in a 16:9 aspect ratio. To get a standard 3:2 ratio you need a sensor with an even higher resolution.

And unless Canon is doing some shenanigans with their newer sensors that they didn't pull in the past, they'll all do roughly equally well in low light.

Upvote 0