Canon EOS R6 specifications [CR3]

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
The R5 will have 2 card slots, the R6 one.

Surely. And the R5 has a lot more resolution. And the R6 may have a tinier buffer, fewer AF points, not get a sexy (who knows) e-shutter 1/16000 exposure, tilting EVF, as large or high res of an EVF, etc.

We don't remotely know enough of the fine print at this stage, but Canon is adept at developing compelling tiers/levels/price points of offerings. They'll know how to push our buttons just so, and get us to wish the 'nearly perfect to me' R6 had 2-4 things that R5 does for (idk) $1000 more. It's what they do.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Do you even realize how big you can print 20mp? And Id honestly question in this day and age how many actually print, wedding photo books, sure. A large 30x40? Yeah a 20MP can do that no problem. People really get lost in numbers when it comes to MP and dont actually know the facts behind it

I've had this OG Digital Rebel 6 MP shot -- cropped no less -- sitting on my wall for 12 years now.

The print is 36" across.

It's about time to change it out for something better, but I've received zero comments (incl. from pixel peeping photographers) about needing more resolution or why I blew it up that large.

It's not remotely what I would consider a strong piece of photography. It was just a striking memory from a unique place. That's what mattered to me.

IMG_2551.JPG

- A

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

MartinF.

EOS 6D, 5D mkIV and some good EF lenses. DPP4 user
Feb 2, 2016
Denmark
So say you. RP lacks IBIS and sure as hell can't pop 12 / 20 fps.

R5 feels like the 5D5.
R6 feels like the 6D3.

RP may have been an inexpensive platform bugzapper to draw folks in to the platform. Perhaps RP and the original R will die out now once the more familiar hierarchy I posted above gets released.

- A
seems like it. Nice if we are beginning to see a naming scheme that is makes sense (and are related to the old one). Makes perfect sense that "R" (that was between 5D and 6D series) will be superseded by an R5 and an R6. probably a R1 for pro-sports. Maybe a R7 (APS-C) for sports and maybe space for another APS-C (and RP style entry-level APS-C - to take over from 90D or Rebels) - who know - and R8 ? (I do believe in APS-C sensors for the "R" mount).
And then get rid of the "s", and make a high megapixel R5 and name it R3. (they never used the name 3D, probably because it means something else in the film world).
Anyway - just guessing - but 2020 look to be a very exiting Canon year. It has been a long waiting.

Originally I guessed that my 6D would not be my last DSLR and - when time comes - would be replaced by a 5D mkIV or an upcoming 5D mkV. But i Canon get i right (specs. and price) with an R5 maybe that one will be the next?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
seems like it. Nice if we are beginning to see a naming scheme that is makes sense (and are related to the old one). Makes perfect sense that "R" (that was between 5D and 6D series) will be superseded by an R5 and an R6. probably a R1 for pro-sports. Maybe a R7 (APS-C) for sports and maybe space for another APS-C (and RP style entry-level APS-C - to take over from 90D or Rebels) - who know - and R8 ? (I do believe in APS-C sensors for the "R" mount).
And then get rid of the "s", and make a high megapixel R5 and name it R3. (they never used the name 3D, probably because it means something else in the film world).

Yep. Keep reading this thread. You got to a similar conclusion faster than I did.

- A

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Sorry to burst everyone's naming scheme bubble, but I'm not convinced just yet.

Too little information at this point, but it certainly seems plausible that the R5 is a video oriented mirrorless and the R6 is a stills-oriented low-light action camera.

The R6 is definitely above the level of the RP, based on frame rate and IBIS alone. If the "new battery" is the LP-E6 compatible battery we've been told about, that also puts it above the RP.

A 20mp sensor? Canon likes to reuse sensors. Would they really put their flagship 1Dx sensor into a bargain basement body?

12 fps? In an entry-level body?

Break out of the old naming scheme for a second. Couple a 12 fps, 20 mp body with a new more responsive autofocus system and a new LP-E6 style battery, plus new energy efficiencies pioneered in the 1Dx III, and you have a very good mirrorless companion (not replacement, but companion) to the 1Dx.

Not saying it's so, but just suggesting that people shouldn't get trapped by old naming schemes.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Sorry to burst everyone's naming scheme bubble, but I'm not convinced just yet.

Too little information at this point, but it certainly seems plausible that the R5 is a video oriented mirrorless and the R6 is a stills-oriented low-light action camera.

So a 50 MP rig is clearly a stills product, but gaming up the res in a video rig to 45 MP just to pull off 8K video makes it a video rig all of a sudden? :unsure:

I disagree. I think it's eeeeeeasy to water down video specs with DPAF limitations, crop, codec, etc. that could make this less dreamy of a video rig, but 45 x 12 with a mechanical shutter is 45 x 12 unless they pull some bush-league (must be JPG, AE locked, no RAW at max fps, etc.) nonsense that we typically don't see in cameras of this level.

Far more likely Canon is beefing up the 5D do-everything line, possibly due to Sony demonstrating success at stealing some Canon pros. I think the R5 is the mirrorless 5D5 effectively -- the big, bad all-battlefield workhorse.

Current entry levels:

A7 III = 24x10​
D780* = 24x12 (e-shutter, but still)​
Z6 = 24x12 (12 bit, however)​

(*D6XX = RIP, I guess?)​

So, yeah, that's bonkers for an average non-action enthusiast with a 6D... but it's where we are in 2020.

The 20 MP is admittedly odd and invites questions, though. But the '6' in the name, if true, should dispel that this is some gripped 1-series mirrorless.

But: point taken on the naming schemes. I'm presuming that Canon will be a rigid creature of habit, or that they think a brand's value is highly tied to it's identifiability by name, they are afraid folks buy a lesser priced rig because the naming confused them, etc. For all we know, Canon may have always regretted aspects of the 1/5DS/5/6/7 split and want to rectify that with the new platform, or they may have altogether new-purpose lines and FF segmentation plans.

- A

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
But what if its introduction price is below the RP's introduction price? Say $100 less.
Either the specs are wrong or the price is higher than the RP. Can't be both. 12fps in a camera priced WAY below what we would assume the R5 to be? That alone doesn't jive with "entry level"

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Either the specs are wrong or the price is higher than the RP. Can't be both. 12fps in a camera priced WAY below what we would assume the R5 to be? That alone doesn't jive with "entry level"

And the 20 MP immediately invites 'R1' gripped body thinking.

Someone at Canon is going to have to give a body roadmap (or something) because these names R/R5/R6/RP are all over the map and we know 1-series and high res are still yet to come.

My dance card, right now (and we clearly aren't all in agreement on this):

1-series --> R1
5DS --> R2, R3, R4 or R5S?
5D --> R5
R --> :poop:
6D --> R6
RP --> :poop:
7D --> R7 (if it happens at all)

Sorry, there wasn't a tombstone emoji.

- A

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
A 20mp sensor? Canon likes to reuse sensors. Would they really put their flagship 1Dx sensor into a bargain basement body?

Not saying it's so, but just suggesting that people shouldn't get trapped by old naming schemes.

Eh, the sensor could wind up in a few. I think its more about everything else around it that would be the delineating factors, which is why I struggling with this 12fps stuff because that's certainly a "high end" feature I seriously doubt we would see on such a bargain camera. It WOULD make more sense if this sat in the $3k-4k range however along side the R5 but more tailored to video uses whereby Canon would distinguish this perhaps by having C-Log Gamma, maybe a more robust video output like 12bit ProRes RAW, etc... (as Nikon now does with the Z7) VS the higher 48MP of the R5 without as robust video capability. Otherwise apart from the sensor, the spec rumors of the R5 and R6 are otherwise very similar and I can't see how this would be priced lower than the current RP in any universe. Again, I think it's possible these specs lists are mostly correct but are cross contaminated in terms of certain specifics that really are on one camera and not the other. Who knows. Will find out soon enough.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Eh, the sensor could wind up in a few. I think its more about everything else around it that would be the delineating factors, which is why I struggling with this 12fps stuff because that's certainly a "high end" feature I seriously doubt we would see on such a bargain camera.[..]

The EOS M50 has 10fps, the M6II has 14fps. Those are $500 and $1000 cameras.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com

Eh, the sensor could wind up in a few. I think its more about everything else around it that would be the delineating factors, which is why I struggling with this 12fps stuff because that's certainly a "high end" feature I seriously doubt we would see on such a bargain camera. It WOULD make more sense if this sat in the $3k-4k range however along side the R5 but more tailored to video uses whereby Canon would distinguish this perhaps by having C-Log Gamma, maybe a more robust video output like 12bit ProRes RAW, etc... (as Nikon now does with the Z7) VS the higher 48MP of the R5. Otherwise apart from the sensor, the spec rumors of the R5 and R6 are otherwise very similar and I can't see how this would be priced lower than the current RP in any universe.
The R5 will have 2 card slots, the R6 one.
That's not enough to make the difference if this IS the bargain camera. Which as of now with what info we have, suggests strongly that it is NOT. If it IS the cinema/video camera rumored then one slot is fine as likely most users like me would prefer external recording anyway and would use the internal for backup perhaps

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
The EOS M50 has 10fps, the M6II has 14fps. Those are $500 and $1000 cameras.
Those are also APS-C (cropped) bodies... Apples and Oranges. Nothing so far suggests this is a Crop sensor. If it WAS I'm betting it would be called the R60 not the R6. Canon has traditionally given crop bodies 2 digit names (with the exception of the 7D) in which case I think Canon would call this the R7.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
That's not enough to make the difference if this IS the bargain camera. Which as of now with what info we have, suggests strongly that it is NOT.

...or the A7 III truly did scare the bejesus out of Canon to the point of pumping more horsepower into lower price points.

Z6 has IBIS and 12 fps and it's $1350
A7 III has IBIS and 10 fps and it's $1750

A7 III has also impressively held a high line on price. Either a change in tactics from Sony or it is truly selling that well:

1580317053127.png

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Those are also APS-C (cropped) bodies... Apples and Oranges. Nothing so far suggests this is a Crop sensor. If it WAS I'm betting it would be called the R60 not the R6. Canon has traditionally given crop bodies 2 digit names (with the exception of the 7D) in which case I think Canon would call this the R7.

+1, but koenkooi has a point on data. The M6 II moves a ton of data, crop or no crop.

The surprise here is that Canon -- if specs are true -- is finally removing on the governors on its FF mechanical shutters. I howled at the moon for so many posts that Canon (either by nerfing feature-set differentiation or cost/profitability goals) thought that 7 fps was a nice enough upgrade to the 5D line when the 5D4 came out. Since that time, every competitor has been pushing higher fps with mechanica shutter in the not-1-series price points: A99 II, Z6, A7III are 12 fps, and they run the gamut price-wise.

So -- perhaps -- Canon is not going to restrict heretofore higher-end shutters to 1-series only (or they made a better/faster/more robust non-1-series shutter). Amen to that.

- A

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
...or the A7 III truly did scare the bejesus out of Canon to the point of pumping more horsepower into lower price points.

Perhaps repackaging this another way, if Canon is okay putting out what appears to be a mirrorless 5D5 on steroids that shatters all throughput records and puts the 1DX3 in the dust (in metrics it always was the best at), I don't think a beefed up mirrorless 6D like the R6 is such a big leap at all.

I'm shocked it appears to be getting a 1DX3-like powertrain of 20x20, but it's not remotely as shocking as the R5 specs to me.

- A

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com

Z6 has IBIS and 12 fps and it's $1350
A7 III has IBIS and 10 fps and it's $1750

A7 III has also impressively held a high line on price. Either a change in tactics from Sony or it is truly selling that well:

View attachment 188395

- A

Ok but $1500 is alot more plausible than something below the RP though

Upvote 0
And what's with all these leaks now for an R5 in July and an R6 in June?

Is Sony rolling out the A7 IV imminently or something? Is this a 'stay with us Canon people, the hotness is coming' sort of defensive announcement?

- A

With all the innovation in mind, Canon forgot to add a shutter button to the R5, so they will fix it in june with the R5 II :cool:

• Haha
Upvote 0